cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

4th day Congestion

katieb3
1 13 5,581

So I am On the 4th day of no cigarettes and I am congested in my lungs, nose and ears.... can someone please let me know how long this will last?

13 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010

CONGRATULATIONS for making the BEST Decision of your LIFE! I know you feel uncomfortable right now but it will get better and then much better and then TERRIFIC with time so hang in there! How much time depends on the individual. I remember giving it a couple of Months before I found my baseline. The important thing is DO NOT SMOKE! If you get concerned about how it's going, talk to your Doctor! You are embarking on a very exciting journey in your LIFE and we're here for you!

family-first

Thomas saved me a lot of typing! Ditto...However, my sinus/ears started to act up needed meds, as per sinus infection and fluid in ears. Doc said multiplied from the shock of quitting! Hang in there...it goes away... protect the quit!

shill57957

Congrats on 4 days.  You have made it past the 72 hour mark it takes nicotene to leave your body.  Your body has started healing.  I kept losing my voice, it was strange.  But if you drink lots of ice water it will really help.  It will keep the mucous thinned out and help flush those toxins out.  It's gonna start getting better day by day.  Til at some point soon you are going to say I am doing so great!  

I am at 60 days tonight and I haven't had one off day since day 8.  No cravings or anything.  Because I know smoking will never under any circumstance be an option in my life again.   

It is a great thing to be a non smoker.  I am so happy and you will be too.  

Strudel

Congrats to you! Soon - soon - you will feel better soon!! Take care!

Julia_Amy

I'm with Thomas, talk to your Doc if concerned but your body is now detoxing you, how long did you smoke?  We need to be patient with our bodies through this process. 

cyn9

Congratulations!!!  Your body is starting to heal. It took me a couple months to clear out, but I have not had one cold, sinus infection or bronchitis since I quit!  I used to get sick every couple months. Every spring I would go to the DR like clock work for sinis inf.  I almost expected the DR to call me this year to see where I was. Ha, ha.

But, if you are really bad, it may be a cold or flu. You may want to see the Doc.

SGB22

I continue to have lung congestion and lose my voice at 86 days. I'm using the patch and lozenges but I know that I need to drink more water and that part of this is because I still have nicotine in my body. I was a heavy smoker and then I switched to vaping and was a chain vaper. It's going to take time to heal my body after 48 years of nicotine use. I'm so grateful for this program!!!😃

diamond01

Hi, you are doing great, and staying focused it will take time to heal, i just quit again, day three now, so i am eating lemon drops, and staying busy on here, Smoking is not a option for me, so great job, and I will check on you tomorrow, Helen.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

We've got some content specifically for this topic now. You can read more about it at Now That I’ve Quit Smoking, Why Am I More Congested Than I Was Before? 

consciouscat

Today is my day 6 of quitting and I feel like shit. Congestion, stuffy nose, wheezing, tightness in the right side of my chest… but I know I made the right decision by quitting. I’ve been smoking for about 30 yrs. I’ve quit here & there down the line, but I’m done done this time. I want to live a quality life. I’m now 54 and shit just got real. Smoking always made me feel so damn good tho. F’n crazy right? The joke life plays.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks @Barbscloud for sharing this resource!

- Danielle, EX Team

consciouscat

Insightful Information! Thanks!  @Barbscloud