cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

47 Pledges

McMoney
8 8 146

I came here to say when I started this quit I thought the pledge was lame. Maybe I thought I was too "cool" for it; I didn't think quitting smoking required something like the 12 steps in AA. But I pledged anyway because it came with the site and it's supportive and I had zero support at home for my quit. I wanted this quit to be different. So anyway, I started pledging. Going through the motions. After 47 pledges, and as a new NON-smoker, I see that there's a lot of going through the motions at first. Doing something different to deal with stress and face what amounts to being in uncomfortable situations, or boring situations, or celebrating, or mourning, etc. Obviously, new routines are required when you choose to no longer do the one thing you've always done.    

When I get off work, particularly on days that have been stressful, I take an hour long fast-as-I-can walk and turn the music up. After supper, I do a sudoku puzzle and have a Jolly Rancher. When my husband is working my nerves, I do a little online window shopping or make a grocery list for next week (any kind of list will do). And every day, I pledge. Doing so links one successful day with the next and it's an opportunity to promise to take it just ONE day at a time. I don't know what the future will bring but I can promise just for today I won't smoke no matter what. 

Ultimately, it's the little changes, the mindless routines, the moments that when we handle them in a new way will change our lives over time. I believe this. I take pride in the pledge now and I don't think it's lame at all. 

Thanks for reading! Keep the Quit!  

McMoney_1-1697132244696.png

8 Comments
About the Author
I'm 40, married, with 3 teen boys. I work from home. I smoked for 27 years. 27 years was plenty. I've smoked enough. Enough is enough. -- Quit notes: I quit cold turkey & started chantix the same day. Took that for 30 days. Instead of smoking, I do sudoku puzzles, play solitaire, google random questions, eat Jolly Rancher candies, walk/hike, listen to music, clean anything and everything, watch tv, read, sit outside and watch cars go by, shop online, and come here to give and get support. This quit is different than past quits because I don't feel alone. Supporting others in their quits actually helps support me.