Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

44 hours smoke FREE

iquit67
0 9 34

Hello everyone!

I am new to this site and   I been quit for 44 hours now.  I have quit 4 times before, once for a year n a half.  I am still disappointed in myself for that one.  I have made up my mind this time it will stick. 

I am going to smoke cessation classes for 2 weeks now and found it is easier with a community behind you. I am on the patch and using the lozenges, they do REALLY HELP. I read my list of reasons why I want to quit several times a day. I also been doing alot of crosswords ,and coloring, so relaxing and fun. I am still working on triggers.  After meal time is the worst, feel like something is missing. Hope things get a little easier in the next few days, really do have a lot of nervous energy. I think I'll start going for walks after dinner.  

9 Comments
LisaAnnIndy74

CONGRATS On 44 hours!!! That is awesome!!!! Please do not beat yourself up for your quit not sticking that time. Your only human and it's ok. What's important here is the 44 days you have now! To comabt that nervous energy I had when I quit I did a lot of blogging here and I love to dance so I would dance around the house a lot. HAHAHA! But it helped me a lot. Everyone here is always here for you any time you need to talk. There are a lot of amazing articles in here to read too. After meals was bad for me too. I felt just like you do. Trust me when I say it will get easier. You have to just be strong and constantly remind yourself why you quit smoking. I am always here if you need a friend.

Huge hugs.....

Lisa

Dotgirl_1-28-16

Welcome! Congrats on your awesome 44 hours of freedom. Changing your after dinner routine sounds like a great plan. Support is a good thing, have you done the reading on this site? The more we know about this addiction the better. You are doing a very good thing for yourself...just keep saying NO a day at a time, if a day is too long then make it an hour at a time and if that's too long then keep it in the moment. WTG

Strudel

Congrats on your quit and welcome to the site! You are in the right place for support! Please stick around! Many of us have learned a lot by reading Carr's book - http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking and your first 44 hours!  Going for a walk after dinner is a GREAT idea!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there

Try not to use a lozenge as a replacement for every cigarette you used to smoke. If you feel you need them, they should be used as a last resort.  Try deep breathing first, then a distraction and, if the crave is still a huge one, then use a lozenge.  We have had folks come here who are addicted to them - and I don't want you to end up being another one!

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Daniela2016

Welcome, you are in the right place for support!

Please do the reading Nancy just posted for you, it will get you prepared for what is to come, and help you gain the frame of mind to put yourself on the path for success!  May this be your last quit!

Congrats on your first 44 days, it only gets easier from there!

Daniela

Daniela2016

...sorry I meant 44 hours, and it might get worse, before it gets better...but it does with every minute, hour, day you conquer

shashort

Welcome the community. Congratulations on your decision to quit and your 44 hours smoke free. You came to the right place for support.

crazymama_Lori

what I did for meal times is stick a piece of gum in my mouth.  I had to think about it at first, but now it's just automatic.  You'll find what works for you.  You've got a very good start going there, WTG

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Any updates? We haven't seen you for a while.

Mark
EX Community Manager