Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

3 Ways I've Stayed Smoke Free - One Year Anniversary Reflections

Metroguy
5 12 414

Reflections - 1 YearReflections - 1 Year

August 1st will mark one year since I have smoked. Because of my crazy work schedule, I figured I'd post now. 

With all of that said ... you may be wondering how I have managed to stay smoke-free? In other words, what has it been like? All I can tell you is I've tried to take things one day at a time. There were many, many days where I wanted to throw in the towel and have "just one". Thankfully, it didn't happen. 

Here is what I did to stay smoke-free:  

1. I came here each day to take the daily pledge and promising for that day I will not smoke. And I am proud to say that for every single day of my quit over the past year, I have come here to make that pledge.  Whenever possible, I also tried to support others who are on the same journey, be it offering a kudos on a post, replying to a blog or sending a private message. 

2. I reminded myself of why I stopped smoking. It seems like each new week, I learn about someone else I know who has experienced health problems (or passed away) because of a smoking.  Personal health was one of the reasons I decided to stop and I keep a list nearby as a reminder. 

3. Each Sunday, I wrote a check for the amount of money I would have spent that week on cigarettes and mailed it to my savings account (I have roughly saved $8000.00!)

In the last year, I continued to struggle with the death of my twin brother. I also experienced significant changes with my job that caused extreme stress and anxiety. There were financial challenges, relationship struggles and days that just sucked. 

And yes, there were times I had to reach for a piece of nicotine gum. Is that cheating? I don't think so, but I respect others who think differently. 

So, there  you have it - my reflections on being one-year smoke free. In posting this, I recognize that I am still vulnerable and probably always will be. My heart is full of gratitude. There is no way I could have done this without having the support of this community. All I can say is thanks. Big time. 

As I move into year two, I will continue to employ the 3 items I mentioned above. I will also continue to make it all about one day at a time. 

In gratitude,

John

12 Comments
About the Author
I began my relationship with cigs around the age of 16. Now at 52, I've decided that relationship has been caustic, unhealthy and life robbing. In 2010, I had actually stopped smoking for an entire year. And then one day I made the mistake of thinking I can have "just one". Well, we all know what happens next. I am choosing the approach of one day at a time. For me, this means not focusing on tomorrow and not looking back. Instead, it's all about today - because today is a gift. Each morning, I will be writing something to be happy about in my gratitude journal. My coping strategies include coming here for support, engaging in daily exercise, changing familiar patterns, and engaging in heavy self-care. I can only focus on today with this addiction and I've come to accept that. I'm sending positive energy your way.