cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

22 Days NOT SMOKING!

TheNewMe_Jo
0 10 5,668

For those of you who are right behind me... new to your quit...

I wanted to share how I feel after 3 weeks of not smoking

I do not cough any more. That stopped immediately after I quit. An occasional clearing of the throat. I never did go thru a time when I hacked up a bunch of junk.

My skin is so clear. The whites in my eyes are SO WHITE.

I can smell, I can't believe how disgusting some things smell lol and yet, the sweet things are just so enjoyable to smell now, like a flower or some fruit.

My sleep has gotten better than the early days of my quit.

My heart doesnt beat out of my chest like it used to, just by getting the mail.

I dont struggle to breathe doin even simple things. I used to take deep breaths, or sigh when doin my hair and make up, have to sit down nd rest, now I dont. I didn't have enough energy to even get dressed without a break, NOW I DO!

The "cravings" I call them "thoughts" don't come around hardly at all. When they do, it can be tough, the only thing that gets me through, is gettin on this site and breathing. A reminder how bad it was before when I couldnt breathe well.

MONEY MONEY : what I have in my purse is how much Ive had all week. I dont stress out all the time, wondering if Im gonna have enough money for the rest of the week to buy smokes. I dont even have to think about smokes. I used to count my cigarettes at night, do I have enough for all night and in the mornin? I better go buy some, better be safe than sorry. My God, I dont even have to dwell on this horrible addiction, thoughts dont even cross my mind.

This is the best part, not THINKING about smoking, not having to go buy them. The whold addiction, habit part of it, that we ALL hate. Its so nice to just not have to think at all. I dont know about y'all but man I used to spend so much time just thinking about smoking.

Let me tell you how bad of an addict I was, I used to smoke inside, til the last few months, I was weaning myself off, so when I started smokin outside, Id come up with any excuse to go outside. I checked the mail 3 or 4 times, Sometimes I went out back to smoke, come inside, get a drink and go out front to smoke again,yes, I had a pack in front AND back. See, cutting back isnt good enough. 1 or 2 a day isnt good enough. Your mind is conditioned to SMOKE. No matter how many or few, your mind is totally conditioned to SMOKE.

When I started smokin outside, I thought of smoking more than I did when I smoked inside.

When you deside to finally let go... all the bad things that you hate about smoking just stops.

You can start right now and just say NOPE, not one puff ever. Why? what are you getting out of it?

when you smoke 1, you want another, and another, and another... it never ends.

What are you gonna do when they cost 15.00 a pack? smoke? Thats 450.00 a month LOL OMG seriously?

The difference I feel is so hard to explain. The good comes with the bad. Especially in the beginning, I felt like I had the flu. But all the bad stuff is temporary.

Its so nice not to smoke. It truely is. Everything is just BETTER.

Dont let your mind do wierd things to you, by saying, oh just one more.

Admit you're an addict and just quit!

It really is that simple.

You will SEE more clearly. Not just through your eyes, but your mind, not looking thru a foggy brain.

You just seem to be alive.

Sometimes I feel "detached" Its cause Im alive for the first time in 46 yrs. Its wierd, but a good wierd.

I rambled too much... sorry

But dont think you have it any worse than other people, trust me, I was a full blown addict and if I can quit

SO CAN YOU!!!

Jo Ann

10 Comments
MarcieWhosoever

It is like music for me to read this! I seriously am teary eyed. Im so glad you just DID it! I always had faith in you Jo.

love to you ♥ Marcie

TheNewMe_Jo

Thank you Marcie, which is why I picked YOU as my mentor... or were you "sent" to me?

Doesn't matter, if it weren't for you, who knows.

I dont know how far back you go  in my blogs. But it was a bit "too late" even so, not as late as it could have been

After bein a little pissed at you,runnin for awhile, I came back and I got er done... thanks for the chewin... sometimes I have to be slapped really hard to see it, ya know?

Hows the new place?

Me

jojo_2-24-11

Funny how you mentioned how much time you spent around cigarettes, I really never thought about how long I smoked until I filled out my profile for this site, then I was really frightened. To see in print just how long I was trying to destroy my health! Crazy it is!

MarcieWhosoever

see! I knew you were pissed! Ha AND I knew you would be when I said what I said. I loved you enough to not care if you were mad for a sec. LOL

I am soo glad you are here girl!!!

your friend, Marcie

dvolgenau4

Congrats...great to hear your joy!!

kc_13

FANTASTIC post!!  It brought tears to my eyes...so many smokers will be relate... I hope all newbies will get a chance to read it.  Thank you.

j-nette

WOW Jo...... I can relate to what your saying I'm so glad your here

and awesome job on 22 days

heather120

You're so wonderful....and hardly stuck up at all. Hehe! Congrats there beautiful one! Great job and I'm loving my quit too! We've been eating right, bought an elliptacal machine and joined myfitnesspal.com. Here's the scary thing...we actually are using it daily and haven't had a refined carb in over 2 weeks. Wtf? right?

We're so completely different people. It's insane how smoking can actually define who you are. The whole day used to revolve around when we would be getting another smoke in. Hard at times, but usually just from the physical importance we falsly put on smoking. Facing it and replacing it is what worked for us. 

Just one would put me back where I started, Wishing I was right where I am today!  N.O.P.E.

Big Love Sweets! 

Strudel

Waht a fabulous blog!!! Just fabulous!! Congrats to you Jo Ann!!!

mlrobinson

Today is 22 days for me, feeling like my mind belongs to someone else......