cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

2 years of not smoking

Slimkim20
5 12 233

First of all, this is a great community and you have found a goldmine of support and info for not smoking.  Smoking is so insidious as this addiction goes so deep into your body, personal identity, and emotions.  You think of yourself as a smoker and you begin to act like one.  I could not leave the house without checking my supply.  I made myself late to work because I had to get smokes!  I looked for secret and safe places where I could smoke without the judgment of others, like my car.  Even though I was in my 60's I was ashamed of how immature I looked while smoking like a teenager and who knows better. 

What helped me quit was setting a quit date a month out.  As I worked toward that date, I cut back on the number of cigarettes I was smoking a day.  I also started a prescription for Zyban and this helps!!! I could see a change in my desire for cigarettes and I did not want to eat to compensate.  I felt good.  Using this site, I wrote about my triggers and prepared plan B to cope with them.  It comes down to asking for help and talking about what is troubling you.  For me, I smoked to numb my emotions -- I didn't want to feel them and I didn't want to talk about them.  

Quitting has given me back my health, dignity, emotional growth, freedom to be close to people, and finances as well.  Please don't think if I will quit smoking, begin planning when I will quit smoking.

12 Comments