cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

2 weeks and a cautionary tale

snow90
1 9 22

Wow, can't believe it's been two weeks. Some days have felt like an uphill battle, but I am committed to this. My best friend, sadly, already relapsed. She made it 6 days before rationalizing herself into buying a pack. I asked her again to join this community, or any online community, but you can only lead a horse to water. 

As a cautionary tale, let me tell you her story:

Bee, as I will call her here, is a 30 year old pack and a half a day smoker. She was taken by the addiction at 17. The addiction is starting to cause her problems for her health. She has asthma and high blood pressure, so high that her doctor asked her to quit smoking. She has a 3 year old daughter, and is a stay at home mom. Bee has tried to quit on at least 5 seperate occasions before this most recent attempt. Nicodemon, as yall say, has her in his clutches. 

She put down the smokes for 6 days. For 6 days, she resisted the cravings and the withdrawal pains, and the siren call of a smoke. But on the 7th day, Nicodemon came calling in the form of a friend (not me) on her facebook wall. Temptation comes in all forms. Bee posted on facebook that she had broken down and bought a pack, yet been unable to light one. She felt free at last, unable to bring herself  to light that cigarette because her will to quit was stronger. These are the words of a "friend": Best thing is if you mess up don't beat yourself up over it. Just enjoy it. Or only half of it and then keep going it's not like you pass or fail a test.  

While I agree that if you slip up you shouldn't beat yourself down, I have a huge problem with the words "just enjoy it". That, to me, sounds a lot like encouragement. Imagine you are someone who just quit. You broke down, bought a pack, but didn't smoke it. You just had it in your lap, wondering "now what?" You post about how you bought a pack, searching for support. Instead, a "friend" tells you to "enjoy" it. All the other words of support and encouragement fade away, and you can't see them. All you see is "enjoy it... its not like you pass or fail a test." You open the pack, and you smoke one. 

It was downhill from there for Bee. Once she smoked 1, she smoked 2 which led to 3, which ultimately led to a whole pack. Ladies and gentelmen, the Nicodemon can come in many forms. Be vigilant. 

I don't want to smoke. NOPE. But I know the demon can whisper in my ear any time. 

9 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

Yes.

You don't have to smoke the whole pack if you smoke one. You can stop giving yourself excuses , toss the pack and get on it.

Too many people don't want to waste the pack. They'd rather waste their health.

elvan

I agree that the "just enjoy it" is entirely inappropriate but I suspect that was said by a smoker.  The nicodemon is within us and we don't have to answer that siren call, sometimes, smokers are our worst enemies.  Someone wrote here once that she had been quit for months and supposedly, all of her smoking friends were very supportive.  She went to a bar and decided she just needed ONE...never works, in any event, she asked if she could bum a cigarette and said she was STUNNED at all of the open packs and lighters that were suddenly offered.  She smoked.  I am sorry to say that she didn't make it, she died in February from the consequences of smoking.  

NOPE is very powerful and so is "I don't do that any more."  This is a one day at a time journey...one step at a time, one happening or experience as a nonsmoker at a time. It IS doable!

Congratulations on two weeks.

JonesCarpeDiem

Big Congratulations on 2 WEEKS

Mike.n.Atlanta

Was that person truly a friend to your friend...I'm just sayin/askin.

Congratulations on YOUR 2 weeks of smoke free living. It'll only get better Snow.

Keep on keepin on,

YoungAtHeart

That IS a cautionary tale!  We all need to remain ever vigilant.

Congratulations on two weeks!  You are doing GREAT!

Nancy

bonniebee

Congrats to you on your 2 weeks !!!!

I think your friend really had not made a commitment to quit for good . In time she may but don't let her failure throw you and I don't think it has by what you posted . 

Just be an example to her. Many of us here tried more then once to quit like your friend  when she has had enough she will quit ! 

TerrieQuit

You are doing great! Congratulations on 2 weeks! Stay Strong and keep moving forward!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

Storm.3.1.14

I have always felt that the act of buying a pack is, itself, the first crack in the glass. The extraordinarily insensitive "enjoy it" comment split it further, and your friend chose to smash it. (A few can escape the seduction of holding a new pack, but many more cannot, and the proof is right here.)

Seriously, the slippery slope starts with that one little mistake at the cash register.

That unsupportive "friend" also said that quitting isn't like passing or failing a test. WRONG! That is exactly what it's like! I mean, exactly! It's what we trained for, to pass one of the biggest tests of our lives! (Kinda reminds me of a person here who said that our community was nothing more than "social media", and we shouldn't take it so seriously. Really?!)

Anyway, congratulations to YOU for knowing what's at stake here!

Stay true!

snow90

Storm, I agree with your sentiments completely. I tried to get her to throw out the pack she bought, and to just walk away. I think a lot of people have a hard time with that, though, since they feel that throwing it away is wasting money. But smoking and starting back that habit is a worse alternative.