cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

17th Lifeday

healthy4life
0 8 11

Since I no longer have physical cravings from nicotine withdrawal, I view any craves as habitual urges leftover from chronic behavior. For example, I just had a big breakfast, and I used to think I needed to smoke to help my food digest (I had some of the craziest thinking about smoking, didn't I! I know I'm not alone there however.) so I got up and started pacing because of the urge. But I just told myself I don't do that anymore, so now I'm at the computer. It's an easy alternative. Along with a cup of hot water with clove oil. 

It really DOES get easier! Especially when you look at all the freedom we have as nonsmokers. My list just fills me with joy!!! Don't have to go outside 20 times a day in the worst of Minnesota weather. Don't have to try to hide anything at stop lights while driving (I was embarrassed about smoking and didn't want anyone to see me, yet I couldn't NOT smoke while driving). I can run into anyone, even those who didn't know I used to smoke, without worrying they might smell the stink of cigarettes on me (and of course they did, who was I fooling?). I can go anywhere without first having to take a breath mint and spray chemicals from head to toe...because now I smell just fine! I can finally SEE and THINK clearly. I can breathe better. My pain and fatigue aren't as bad. I can fly in an airplane without worrying how quickly I can get out when we land. I used to have panic attacks after going through security checkpoint because I knew it would be a really long wait before I could get my fix. I can go to any public place, such as sporting events- the last Twins game I attended I discovered that once you hand them your ticket, you can't leave if you want to get back in, and smoking was only allowed across the street. I no longer have to worry if I will run out before I buy more. Last night I went to the pet store to buy cat food, and the smoke shop was right next door. I had that split second habitual thought, "do I need to buy more or do I have enough?" Ha, I don't go there anymore! When I bought that last pack, I told them they wouldn't be seeing me again. That's how committed to quitting I was/am.

There's a bunch more on this list, but I have to boogie. Hope everyone finds enjoyment in this beautiful day!

8 Comments
constanceclum

At day 4 I really appreciate the reminder that it does get easier and also the list which looks like mine.

Deena-A-Yenni

Good blog.  Thanks for sharing.  

Junior7

Great list!  Congrats!

YoungAtHeart

Nicotine did, in fact, help with your digestion, which is why some people have difficult times with their tummy when they quit.  Your body does adjust in time.

Freedom IS wonderful, isn't it?

Nancy

Michwoman

Congrats on 17!!! You sound very strong! 

lois2

I DID LIKE YOU BLOG SO TRUE, CONGRATS ON 17 DAYS

liana5

F ing on day 18 by the time you read this. I am right there wit h you.  Same list you have to the tee. We got this.

melissa66

I enjoyed reading your blog.Very positive and encouraging. I added you as a friend today and want to say thanks for your personality! My quit date is Jan 9, 2015 so I just found this sight yesterday and today learning more about how to use the website! Congratulations to you!!!