cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

12 Days Until Quit Day

quietkagome
0 6 33

So I officially have twelve days until quit day. I have a mixture of nervousness and being excited because this website has already helped me out so much with the community, the comments, and the support. So as a suggestion from this website, since I have been doing the proper homework because I don't want to get bitten lol!, I started changing my routines around. This morning, I woke up later, decided to focus on picking out healthy things to eat, and planned my day so to speak because I work as a manager in retail, so there's a lot to do with planning especially at Wal-Mart haha. I have noticed that as I begin to eat healthier, the cigarettes taste nasty. At one time, I was the kind of girl that lived at McDonalds and all the maor fast food restuarants. If it was quick, greasy, and cheapt I was there however, chaning my diet to more health concious foods, I drink no caffeine, I drink a lot more water, and I drink a cup of tea for digestion at night, I have noticed that cigarettes leave this really nasty taste in my mouth and I sit there wondering why am I doing this? That is a positive step in the right direction I figure yay 🙂

I also wonder from my fellow community members, as I have asked this question to a quit coach because I am also part of quit.net which the community is really nice over there as well, did anyone actually feel afraid to quit smoking? I don't know, maybe I am different however, I am always a little scared because I guess it's my go to thing for all my emotions: i.e. if I am sad I smoke a cigarette, if I am happy smoke a cigarette, if I am stressed obviously I am grabbing one. I think one of my triggers as I research to identify them is for a long time, I felt like I had no control over my life if you will so the one thing I could control was my smoking habit, I do ask if anyone has felt that way and been able to change that, some advice would be very much appreciated. 

Also, I have been wondering as well, why I went back to smoking so quickly. I think that I was pushing myself to much on quitting different things. As I wrote, I was a major fast food junkie so I was trying to eath healthier, stop smoking, learning proper way to save money, and quitting caffeien ALL at the SAME TIME. Definitely do not recommend this to anyone because I believe I actually shocked my body doing that. 

But yea this was on my mind today so I thought I would share with everyone because of course we all have our own unique stories and I'd like to hear them all. I am hoping that through this, I could meet some good connections and make some friends while doing so. So if you would like to chat as I mentioned, I do have another email that I linked to this website so feel free to share whatever you have on your mind. 

Until I write again, be positive everyone, it gets difficult, I know but with all of us backing each other I know that all of us will be met with great success! 

6 Comments
YoungAtHeart

I think most everyone experienced some fear as their quit date approached.  It is quite normal to fear the unknown - and you really don't know for sure what to expect.  If you do the reading and preparations we recommend, you should be less afraid - but there will still probably be some uneasiness.

In actuality, a nicotine addiction is NOT within your control.  As you educate yourself, I think you will come to understand that QUITTING is taking control!

Hang in there - keep resding and preparing!

Nancyt

quietkagome

Thanks Nancy, and you bring up a good point about smoking not being in control, I never looked at it from that perspective. I appreciate your feedback really I do! I definitely am preparing. 

TerrieQuit

Hello! If you are prepared, commited to your quit and have willingness to do whatever it takes to stay quit, you will succeed! You are headed in the right direction!

Terrie  139  DOF

bonniebee

When I first quti many years ago I was terrified of quitting I thought the feeling  withdrawal would keep increasing and maybe I would lose my mind ! Obviously my fear was way out of proportion to what actually  happens ! This is my 5 or 6th time quitting over a span of about 30 or more years ! The one good thing about those tries was the fact that I gradually learned I could quit without losing it and I could have a cigarette anytime I wanted to so what was to fear but fear itself !

The bad thing was waiting all of those years to finally get to this point 287 days of freedom .

Also when you said that you had control over your smoking I had to come to the  realization of  how smoking had control over me and it became one of my main reasons to want to quit I hate the addiction and the control it had on my life !

When you say you Had one when happy, one when sad, one when nervous, one with a drink ,one before bed, one after supper, one upon awakening and then  always waiting ....waiting to have one after an appt, waiting to have one at a break, waiting to have one after a task finished ,waiting to have one when leaving a store ......get the picture ? look at the control it has !

You are not controlling your smoking the nicotine in the cigarette and the habit of hand to mouth is controlling you !

You can break free !

Puff-TM-Draggin

I thought life would never be as good without cigarettes.  Like you, they were my steady companions, through thick and thin, good times and bad.  Sadly, I realize now they spoiled most of the good times and never really improved the bad.  Smoking does nothing other than damage your health, stink you up, alienate you from people with better sense, and burn your personal possessions.  It's the nicotine that you crave.  Not the cigarettes.  Give your brain time to heal back to that which it was before you started dosing, and you will discover this is true.

Keep on ...

Puff-TM-Draggin

Oh ... and cost you an exhorbitant amount of money for the trouble.  I forgot to mention that.