cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

11th Hour

Rxbecca1981
0 13 195

My 11th hour of not smoking has been the most difficult so far. I know all the obvious reasons for wanting to quit...better health, save money, risk of cancer drops, won't get sick as often, etc. But my question is, what are some not-so-obvious reasons? My brain is really working against me here. I am having a really hard time with this RIGHT NOW. I know it will not last. But I feel like no reason is good enough. I want to smoke. But also don't want to give up on myself-especially this early in the journey. Any advice for this newbie?

13 Comments
austensmom10

i dont really have alot of advice on quitting smoking but i do have alot of advice on addiction myself. when i got clean it was hard becasue i was so used to using something to deal with life. and granted i have been clean going on three years.. i still struggle everyday with life. i just take it one second at a time with my addiction. life throws alot of crap our way and ultimately its how you dea or cope with it. i am going to try the same things i did to overcome my drug addiction with my smoking. just know im a newbie to and if you need to chat i am here!

Michwoman

You're an addict. You don't really want to smoke - you just don't want to "not" smoke because of the fear of being without your drug. Have you educated yourself on the nicotine addiciton? If not, go to whyquit.com and/or read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. We all know that the obvious reasons will not help significantly - if they did, you would have quit a long time ago right? Get educated! It will be sooooo much easier!

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

nanawendy

Stay close to this site and do what the Elders tell you. They have all been where you are and can help you.  I am 114 day smoke free thanks to this site. Stay strong and remember NOPE  not one puff ever !!

froguelady

Michwoman has given you the tools for a succesful quit.  We are all addicts and what is called the nicodemon is within all of us and it fights to keep us hooked on nicotine.  Surprising you don't need to smoke you just want to.  Untill I understood this I could never quit and stay quit.  I smoked 54 years and have been quit over 2 years because I learned about how addiction works and that is what you need to do and then commit to quit, NO SMOKING FOR ANY REASON, that is the commitment that leads to a lasting quit. Please do the reading and stay close to the EX site the help and support you need is here.

kathy199

I am on Day 11 and I agree 100% with Michwoman! I have tried before trying to use willpower and it doesn't work. Allen Carr's book taught me that I could be a non-smoker and actually celebrate the process not "endure" it. Please read the book!

Patty-cake

Hi rxbecca,

It's difficult right now for you to see the many benefits that you'll have.

Stay the course over the next few days, do what you have to in order to remain smoke free.

In just a short time, you will realize an increase in self-esteem. A self-empowerment, if you will. This happens because after all those years of being a slave to your addiction, you finally get to take your life back.

You also will have more time on your hands to get things done.

You also will start being involved in activities instead of standing on the sidelines and guarding your ashtray.

So, so many changes are ahead of you. ALL of them positives.

Cigarettes never did anything for you. Have you done suggested readings here on EX?

Continue to educate yourself on nicotine addiction and the mind games it plays on you. Once you understand how the addiction works, it is then that you will be able to step around those cravings until they go away.

Congratulations on taking the step to take your life back!

🙂

Patty70

Congratulations for choosing to quit smoking.  You can do this. I know that because I have done it and there is nothing special about me.  It takes education and support to do this and by coming here you have taken the most important step.  You probably are  looking for the less obvious reasons because you are experiencing cravings.  You actually do know all the reasons to quit, obious and less obvious. What will help you is education. It really helped me to arm myself with education about how this addiction works from sites like whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com  The bottom line for me whas that I made a CHOICE to quit therefore smoking was NOT an option.  If you can get yourself to that commitment then the battle is basically won.  You can do this.  Keep coming here all day today if necessary.

Get through this day and then string your days together. You can do it.  Check out Jonescarp's page for information on what to expect in the first 130 days.  I decided early in my quit that I would believe everything Dale said to me and with his help I am now about 2 and 1/2 years quit.

Keep on Rxbecca.  I'm proud of you.

YoungAtHeart

I am a little late to the response team, but wanted to add that you CANNOT let the "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette!  NO!" to roll around in your head.  You need to change your internal conversation to: "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes that this craving will last?"  And then DO it.  Do a few jumping jacks, play a computer game, go for a brisk walk (even just round and round a table), say the alphabet backwards...........get the idea?  If you need more, visit my page where there are blogs with 114 things to do instead of smoke a cigarette.   The idea is to DISTRACT  until the craving passes - because you can't win an argument with yourself (the addict)!

The most uncomfortable part of the quit is the first few days, then the body/mind adjustment period of 2-3 weeks.  It's still necessary to do some work until around 130 days  - but after that, with a commitment - you can consider yourself free!  

You always need to keep our mantra frontmost in your mind.  NOPE (not one puff ever!)  There is a saying "one cigarette is not enough, and thousands are not too many."  We must understand and BELIEVE that we can never, ever again have even one puff from a cigarette.  

This journey is SO worth it.  Stay with us.  We are all behind you, cheering you on!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

Thomas3.20.2010

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2013/03/10/gifts-for-body-mind-and-spi...

PLUS

- no more smelling of ashes

- no more yellow and brown teeth

- no more early wrinkles

- no more yellow fingers

- no more clothes that reek of nicotine

- no more EXposing your family, friends, and pets to second and third hand smoke

- less stress!!!! Yes, it's true!

Rxbecca1981

My husband and I decided to "just quit" after discussing finances. We didn't look into any programs or websites because we both had tried the NRT techniques and other tips before. So we thought if we quit, we can save the money, be healthier, and be better role models for the children. Maybe we should really look into other helpful websites and blogs and support groups before we "just quit". I feel like we are really setting ourselves up to fail before even getting started. I think we will set a date to quit and look into making ourselves succeed in a better way. I still haven't given in to my cravings, but my need for one is growing by the second. It's not going away. I keep reading through the blogs and comments to help me get through. What do you think about resetting our quit date to get more information first?

leisha_91713

Hi Rxbecca,

Why don't you start doing the readings and research while you are still in your quit. I wouldn't reccomend starting back so you can research quitting. You've already gotten past those first few hours. Why start over. After you start the reading and change your mindset, you will feel better about quitting.

Leisha

Patty-cake

That is the addiction telling you to restart your quit, just so you give in to your desire now. That's the addicts brain talking. Don't give in to it. Right now, you are just coming up with excuses to fail.

By all means, look at more information to help educate yourself and your husband. Quitting is not easy, but it is doable. The largest part of quitting in the beginning is making a commitment and sticking to it no matter how you feel. Of course, you're going to want to smoke. This is what you've been doing for many years. Not smoking makes you uncomfortable. Withdrawal makes you uncomfortable. Your worst day of quitting will always be better than your best day of emphysema and COPD.

You can get through this.

Quitting for a lifetime can be scary and overwhelming. So, if quitting for a lifetime is too much, then just quit for 1 hour. Make that commitment for 1 hour only. At the end of the hour, commit for just one more hour. Continue this process throughout the day.

Do the same thing tomorrow. Recommit each day. Distract yourself as you go along.

This is doable. Stay with us. We'll help you get there.

Michwoman

Start reading the book and looking at the videos on whyquit.com RIGHT NOW. What are you waiting for?