Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

11 years and two days

hattie
10 8 618

Hi all

Thanks to a heads-up from this amazing site, I am aware it’s now been 11 years and two days! Imagine that! I certainly would not have, 11 years and two days ago.

Becomeanex was my lifesaver ring, to be sure. It’s odd too, because I had done several google searches looking for help to quit. But 11 years and two days ago my search found this amazing site and it was just what I needed. I didn’t want to stop smoking but I knew I needed to quit. Such a quandary; smoking was relaxing, smelled good and tasted good to me… I did not want to leave it behind but knew I had to.

I showed up, filled in the information needed to get going and typed to all the folks out there 24/7 for a long time. I would wake up to a need and a want for a smoke, but knew better. I knew there would be someone else on becomeanex that was in the same boat I was paddling. I could blather on until I got past that need for a smoke. Amazing. So many people out there going through exactly what I was going through at the same time… some, even the same minute. I met so many amazing people. We would talk about pets and knitting and even buying the right little cart to take to the grocery store and drag groceries home. It was the visiting with other. Typing fingers keep hands from fidgeting for a smoke.

It’s different but the same for us all. Sure, I occasionally still get a passing want for a smoke, but it’s passing, and it’s in a moment, barely a whisper or a zephyr. Gone in the blink of an eye. 

I like my life now of not being controlled by the want of a smoke. I can go to a show or a movie and not be fidgeting to get up and get outside for a smoke. I can go places and stay overnight a friends house, which I eschewed before. I would think about how I would be able to sneak out for a smoke in the night. Would the lights be off? Would the doors be locked. Would there be an alarm on the door and I’d wake everyone up when I stepped outside? That wouldn’t do so I’d make an excuse not to go and visit. Lots of excuses to get out of going somewhere that I may or may not be able to have a smoke. My world got so very small. Not any longer. Season tickets to the theater. Go places, everywhere and not worry if I would not be able to get a smoke. Always ‘casing’ a place looking for places to have a smoke. You all know exactly what I’m talking about.

There are also a bunch of you that are where I am now, that you forget how long it’s been. I never, ever could have imagined that I would be smoke free. Never could have. 

That first week, I was so sick kicking the junk getting out of my system. I wouldn’t go through that again for anything. I physically ached. Along with that, breaking the habit, but becomeanex showed me how to break that routine. Used to be I’d get up, grab a cup of joe and sit down to my computer. I haven’t done that in 11 years and two days. Now I get up, grab a hot cup of coffee and walk around the house and look out the windows. In warmer months I walk around the yard and enjoy the flowers and the sounds of birds. Keeping myself busy, I started a very good business that I am now selling to have a good retirement. It would not have happened if I had not quit smoking. This is no joke. I changed my routine and started doing stuff I didn’t do before, just to keep busy and not pick up a smoke. 

Not everyone is going to start a new business and… have it succeed. But, you can pick up a new routine in walking, hiking, knitting, weaving, or making some cool thing. It may be you build a garden or make new friends and join a group. It’s hard to say. I do know you will find many new wonderful adventures! 

Take care all and know you can do it. I was a two pack a day, roll-your-own, no filter cigarette smoker. My mom and dad smoked, my grandpa smoked and my sisters smoked. My husband smoked as well. He quit cold-turkey, a month after I quit. How he did that… I don’t know. Me, I needed all of you. You made my quit stick. 

You can make so many other folks’ quit stick. Don’t ever think you aren’t helping others and they aren’t helping you. My 11 years and two days says we all help each other.

Have a great year and a great quit. Hang tough. If you can’t hang tough, have a good cold drink of water and a walk. And while walking be sure to say ‘good morning or good afternoon, or have a really good day’ to whomever you run in to. It will make you feel good. If you feel good, you’ll carry on. 

Wow, 11 years and two days. Whodda thunk! : ) Peace, baby! Over and out.

8 Comments