cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

10 Years

SimplySheri
10 41 801

~~If you don't believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.~~ Arsene Wenger

10 years ago today I quit smoking forever.  And I say forever because I don't smoke.  Haven't in 3,652 days and I won't ever decide to go back.

I used to come here and share what worked for me.  I believe I have thousands of blogs I have posted over the years.  Some were well received, some were ignored, and some were challenged.  I just wanted you all to quit, too.

And what I've learned over these past 10 years is that if you are going to quit, you either will or you won't.  Your quit, your time, your way.  I may say something that sparks a response in you, but with or without my words, you'll quit if you are willing.  I trust that you have this.  I have confidence in your ability.  I know that you have it in you!

Yes, I wish I could come here and tell you what worked for me and that it will work for you, too.  Easy peasy.  But the reality is that what worked for me, worked for me because it fit into my world in a way that I understood.  I don't know you and I don't know what your world is like and so I don't know what will work for you.  

But you do, friend.  Build off your strengths and create a life you love so much you won't need to smoke your way through it.  You don't need me to tell you what to do.  Underneath it all, you know.  

@Rick_M eternally grateful to you!!  I wouldn't be here without you.  @Giulia I still love you for being the first one to reach out to me here on ex!!  @JonesCarpeDiem you are the best!!  @pir8fan honored to call you a friend!  Many and much thanks!!  I could list at least 100 people here who have been a positive part of my journey.  I hope you know who you are Kathy and Marilyn and Nancy and my favorite person in the world BeeJay 🙂  Diane Joy and Thomas and well, you get the picture 🙂  So many kind, caring people on one glorious site!

I hope you quit.  Day 1 won't last forever although it may seem like it.  Day 1 turns to Day 14 and then Day 50 and soon Day 100 until you are here with me on day 3652.  Get back to who you really are-a painter, a writer, an artist, funny, sweet, kind, driven, or enthusiastic.  Anyway, I hope you quit.  I know you can.  And thank you, Becomeanex for reminding me that I could quit as well.  

Peace to all,

Sheri

41 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

Congratulation on a Great Quit

Good Points

It's wonderful to have you post again.

"Some were well received, some were ignored, and some were challenged.  I just wanted you all to quit, too.'

I concur.

AnnetteMM

So well said! I've been here over five years now, and I remember your posts fondly.

SimplySheri

@AnnetteMM I remember you and your words as well!  Always kind and wise 🙂  Hope you are well!

Sheri

SimplySheri

@JonesCarpeDiem thanks!  I hope you are feeling well and your family is healthy and happy!

Sheri

pir8fan

Sheri, Sheri, Sheri!

So much has happened over the years, and now you have 10 years in the rear view mirror! Congratulations on this huge milestone! 
Your influence here goes back so far. You have always been that positive voice that so many of us needed and still need! To this day I remember the first Easter of my quit! It was day 89 and I was done! I rolled my chair from the computer and was going to go get a carton of cigarettes! I knew one or one pack did not matter. If I smoked one I would never slow down! I was thinking carton! But at that moment I got a note from you on my message board! I remember the words. “Are you OK?”!
Remember when we had our pages with message boards! No telling how many quits were saved on those! When someone was in trouble we would all go to their message board and between us we usually were able to turn the situation around!

That is what you did for me that day! Today I have 4902 days! Without your help 4813 days ago I would have zero and the fact of the matter is I would most likely not be alive to see this day! 
So as you celebrate today and thank those who helped you, reach around and pat yourself on the back! You not only did this, but you saved and helped save many many others!

So, a huge CONGRATULATIONS to you today, and a deep heartfelt Thank You for all you do and have done here!!

Go on! And prosper!

Tommy

YoungAtHeart

I am so happy you stopped by to celebrate your fantastic milestone!

TEN YEARS!

CONGRATULATIONS!

671801409ba-awesome-coloful-fireworks-animated-gif-image-3.gif

I have always looked forward to your writing.  You express it all so well!  

Good to see you.

Rock on!~

Nancy

biscuit9

Congraulations on 10 years!  Those same people you mentioned are still here, helping others through their quits, also.  

MarilynH

It's wonderful to see you Sheri @SimplySheri and even more wonderful to be able to CONGRATULATE you on your fantastic fabulous glorious ginormous humongous splendiferous stupendous awesome quit journey YAY for 10 precious smokefree years YAY for each and every YEAR WON! YAY for Freedom! You along with many others have helped me through some pretty horrific cravings! I remember the message boards @pir8fan they sure were a huge help to me! I remember Ellen @elvan and I chatting back and forth with each other so many times it was great! Anyway lets CELEBRATE because I absolutely love celebrating milestones! Hip hip hooray whoo hoo!🎉🎈🎉🎈🎉

6179d08adbde7edf72353f1ab6360437.jpg

OldBones-Larry

Congratulations @SimplySheri .

Sheri, 10 years and counting!

Keep taking those steps and continue your great journey.

I will join you in October for my 10 years.

Larry the Caravan Master

ShawnP

At little birdie told me you have 10 years!!! congratulations Sheri. Hope you are dancing!!! YOU DESERVE IT!!!

Strudel

Sheri - Huge congrats to you on ten years!! Wonderful! Great blog - you always offer an inspiring voice - thank you! 

nanawendy

Sheri, congratulations on 10 years !!  Keep dancing !!!

SimplySheri

@pir8fan didn't we have fun?!!  I count my blessings every day that so many wonderful exers came into my life.  Thank you for everything, Tommy!  Truly.

Sheri

SimplySheri

@YoungAtHeart , you've always been such a huge support!!  If I've never thanked you properly, sincere thanks for making me feel welcome here and wanted.  You have that gift and I appreciate it!

Much love,

Sheri

SimplySheri

@biscuit9 thank you!  And yes, they are still here working their magic 🙂  I love them all to pieces!!

Sheri

SimplySheri

@MarilynH you've always enjoyed a good party!  And I've always enjoyed your enthusiasm and love of life!  Thank you for making me feel special, my friend!!  I am so grateful for you 🙂

Sending love,

Sheri

SimplySheri

@OldBones-Larry I'll be here for you in October!!  Much love to you, friend!  Hope you are well and in a good place 🙂

Sheri

SimplySheri

@ShawnP I didn't even realize how much I've missed you until I 'saw' you here!!  So glad for you now and through out the years 🙂  

Much Love,

Sheri

SimplySheri

@Strudel Hi Kathy!  You are always in my heart and I appreciate every kindness you've shown throughout the years.  Hope all is well in your world!

Much love,

Sheri

SimplySheri

@nanawendy what a delightful treat to see you here!!  Thank you so much for taking the time to write! I miss you and hope you are doing well!

Much love,

Sheri

Snowdoggie

@SimplySheri Big congratulations on your Forever Quit. Such a nice accomplishment!🎊🎉🎊🎉 Yay and WOW for 10 years!

SimplySheri

@Snowdoggie thank you so much for taking the time to celebrate with me!!  I appreciate you 🙂

Take Care,

Sheri

Jennifer-Quit

Congrats to you on the big 10!  Always enjoyed your posts so much!

Maki

Congrats @SimplySheri . I always enjoyed  reading your posts from day one I came here , so glad you still come by and share your thoughts , your success and wisdom . 
Hope you had a great day . 

Giulia

Sheri!!!!!   I saw your name and thought, wow, really?  She's here??!!!  And obviously still going strong.  God how I miss the old platform and all those (like you) who went their own ways.  Your support was always amazing and ever so full of love.  " what worked for me, worked for me because it fit into my world in a way that I understood"   Perfectly stated.  We all need to find that "thing" that works for us.  Though I do think that there are some basic understandings,  like commitment and perseverance, with which all quitters have  to come to grips in order to achieve lasting smoke/vape freedom.  

You words have always been inspiring and your support on here  wise and unique.  I'm so glad you dropped in to share your beautiful 10-year quit.  It's an amazing feeling, isn't it?!!!!  Come back more often.  You're missed.  Happy Happy 10th!  Huge smile coming at you from Tennessee.

SuzyQ411

@SimplySheri  What wonderful news! I am so happy for you! Thanks for stopping in and showing us newer ones that it CAN be done! ❤️ 

Day 369

Cousin-Itt

Truly Fantastic! @SimplySheri  Your post helped me so much in the start of my journey

CONGRATULATIONS 

and

Thank You

Barbscloud

@OldBones-Larry 

So good to see you on the site!  Glad you stopped by.

Barb

SimplySheri

@Jennifer-Quit So happy to see you here!!  How are you?  It's funny how much I miss you all and I didn't even realize how much until now.  Hope all is well in your world!!

Hugs,

Sheri

SimplySheri

@Maki thank you so very much for your kind words!!  I hope you are doing well.  I appreciate you taking the time to celebrate with me!!  

Gratefully,

Sheri

SimplySheri

@Giulia omgosh you made me tear up!!  Thank you, thank you for the kind words and the wonderful memories of our time here on ex 🙂  It was never boring!!  And you are a legend here, you know.  All in the best ways!  An elder with humor, wisdom, and grace.  Wouldn't be here now without you.

Much Love to you and yours in Tennessee,

Sheri

SimplySheri

@SuzyQ411 so glad you are here!!  Hope you are doing well 🙂  You've always been such a joy!!

With Great Appreciation,

Sheri

SimplySheri

@Cousin-Itt omgosh it is soooo good to see you!!  Thank you for celebrating with me!!  Hope you are doing well and the world is treating you kindly!

Much Love,

Sheri

SimplySheri

@Barbscloud so nice to see you here 😊  @OldBones-Larry is a true gem, isn't he?    

SuzyQ411
green1611

Congratulations @SimplySheri 

GREAT Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 1.28.17 PM.pngQUIT

indingrl

IMG_9292.png

@SimplySheri  10 nope years looks good on you dear friend. 

SimplySheri

@indingrl You have no idea how thrilled I am to see you, Diane Joy!!  Thank you 🙂  I hope you are doing well and the world is treating you as kindly as you treat everyone!!  I miss you.

Much love,

Sheri

SimplySheri

@green1611 Thank you so much!!  I appreciate you 🙂  Hope all is well!!

In appreciation,

Sheri

Rick_M

WoW 10 years no smoke. WTG Sheri, I remember when you joined EX. You were cautious and confused as we all were and look at you now. We have  great quit  ride going, let's never let it go....

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

What a milestone @SimplySheri ! Kudos to you.

- Megan, EX Team