cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

10 Days in. not smoking R.A. patient

kiddoctane
0 8 105

Many times i've tried, never made it a day. it finally took getting sick, really sick, to say "thats it!" i was feeling so lousy. i didnt think i would make it through. i was so addicted. Chain smoking ib the morning, living my day to the next cig. i'm at the end of the sickness, (i hope) and i'm feeling better. Breathing is good, congestion clearing. Yes, sometimes this is what it takes.10 days.. i am very proud of myself FU cigarette, FU

8 Comments
MarilynH

10 precious smoke free days and counting, that's wonderful, keep going forward. You are doing great as we say here, you're in the Double digit club -DDC- keep your mind as well as your hands occupied and stay close to this site. 

Marilyn 

JACKIE1-25-15

Congrats on 10 days smoke free.  Do you have a plan to work your quit.  Are you reading any of the material to help educate you about nicotine addiction.  This is very important. I have gotten sick before and stopped smoking when I got well i would start again.  Please have a plan.  Do the  step by step guide. Good luck.  Let us keep hearing from you.  I don't know what a R.A Patient is. i guess i'll have to google it.

Barbara145

10 days is wonderful.  You are doing this.  Keep up the good work!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community, and congratulations on your decision to quit smoking!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there.

Are you using a quit aid?  If so, let us know so we can better advise you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Terri103

Hey!  Since you said F U cigarettes, you might like this, it's a variation of a phrase we use:  I don't smoke that shit anymore!!  

Keep working it.  wow!!  Ten days.  precious "be proud of yourself" days.  

Strudel

10 days is great! Congrats to you! Be sure to do the reading Nancy gave you - and stick around here! Welcome to the site!

kiddoctane

Thank you, all of you. I'm really glad to log on today to see that 10 days is a big thing. i dont know how many times i only lasted 1 day and blew it 11 days today. i am, on the patch i was such a am chain smoker i needed the assistance. It's so weird when i get a craving, like last night after a favorite supper i'm used to lighting up. But i remembered what it took (sick, sick, sick) to convince me to stop, laing in bed saying at least let me do this. I'm definitley sticking around reading the support. i dont want to go back. ever

kiddoctane

Jackie, RA is rheumatoid arthritis. it hits fairly younger people, 20s 30s 40s (me). i was really depressed thinking i have it and smoking didnt, doesnt help us, research says. Hate to say it but smoking was me wanting to punish myself, if that makes sense. Yesterday my body felt better, they may really be right. today too. better frame of mind. i think those hundreds, yes hundreds of times i've tried and failed after 1 day bothered me. This is so huge for me. 11 precious recouperating from near death days (felt like it) So glad i can write hear.