cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

1,000 Days

Leenie
0 9 108

But who's counting?  I wasn't.  Two of my friends here had to point out to me that they'd be celebrating my 1,000 days on the Freedom Train on the February 12th.  I thought, "Wow!  I'm really getting pretty blase about this quitting thing!"  I felt as though I should've known and been anticipating the one-thousandth day of not smoking.  You know what?  After thinking it over, I'm happy that not smoking feels so normal now that I don't often think about the number of days I've been smoke-free.  And, during those first 2 weeks, sometimes I was just hanging on hour-by-hour (even moment-by-moment) and, even though I'd committed to quit the habit, it was hard at first.  I just had to remind myself that the day would pass whether I smoked or not and that I'd get where I wanted to go whether I felt crummy or not.  I also used patches for the first week.  I hope that any new quitters will just do whatever it takes to celebrate that first day without smoking and then the first week, first month and so on until someone has to remind you that you're coming up on 1,000 days.  Hang in there and be kind to yourself.  You can do this!  I did and it took a few tries to make it stick.  Good thoughts your way, everyone!  And congratulations on getting to whatever anniversary you are celebrating.  May you have many more.

9 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010

Good to see you, Leenie! You're sounding Great and that's good to know! I'm wondering how it would feel to be in the Quad squad! I hope I'm as well into my new normal is you are! Thank You so much for coming back to share your VICTORY!!! 

dunwitit-dave

The "Quad Squad!" What a great group to be part of!  You've  really accomplished something Missy! Congrats!

Bonnie11.3.2009

1,000 Days, there should be a song especially to celebrate for this number of days!  It's just an awesome milestone and we can only guess how many cigarettes you haven't smoked in your thousand days!

Thanks for sharing your big accomplishment with us and Congratulations!

Yaya2.6.10

Hooray!  Thanks for stressing that not smoking feels normal now.  It does to me too and its important to let those earlier in their Quits know that day will come.  

Strudel

Great point Leenie!! Congrats on 1000 days!!!

MarcieWhosoever

wow 1000 days! thats really awesome!

laura-m

WTG 1000 days!  Congratulations, you sound great!

Ex_Nancy

Congrats on 1,OOO DAYS Leenie...that's a beautiful milestone to celebrate!!!

Leenie

Thanks, everybody.  No wonder I've hung in for 1,000 days!  Look at all you nice people helping me along my way!  Thank you!

Leenie

About the Author
Born in S. California and raised there and in Arizona, I moved to the Midwest with my ex and just haven't moved back. I started life in nurses training, though didn't finish (that's where I started smoking - I had a roommate who smoked and hospital cafeteria food helped pack on the "freshman 15" so I decided to stop eating soda crackers to deal with the very real stress and started smoking. The nurses' and doctors' dining hall where we ate our meals was smoke-filled - everyone seemed to be smoking in the '60's.