cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

katheen

Smokebriety and Sobriety

Well I went to the Dr. yesterday and he said that he is going to give me acuputure so it'll help me out a little more.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
110 Replies
jv_

hello,
  anybody out there?
  say hi, i don't bite

love n joy
  jv
0 Kudos
jv_

AA Thought for the Day
  (courtesy AAOnline.net)

August 31, 2009

Paradox #2
  We GIVE AWAY TO KEEP.
  That seems absurd and untrue. How can you keep anything if you give it away?
  But in order to keep whatever it is we get in AA,
  we must go about giving it away to others, for no fees or rewards of any kind.
  When we cannot afford to give away what we have received so freely in AA,
  we had better get ready for our next "drunk." It will happen every time.
  We've got to continue to give it away in order to keep it.
  - Experience, Strength and Hope, p. 156

Thought to Ponder . . .
  We surrender to win; we give away to keep;
  we suffer to get well; we die to live.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .

T R U S T = Teaching Recovery Using Steps and Traditions.
0 Kudos
jv_

AA Thought for the Day
  (courtesy AAOnline.net)

September 1, 2009

Paradox #3
  We SUFFER TO GET WELL.
  There is no way to escape the terrible suffering of remorse and shame
  and embarrassment which starts us on the road to getting well from our affliction.
  There is no new way to shake out a hangover. It's painful.
  And for us, necessarily so. . . We suffer to get well.
  - Experience, Strength and Hope, p. 156

Thought to Ponder . . .
  We surrender to win; we give away to keep;
  we suffer to get well; we die to live.

T L C = Tears, Laughter, Caring.
0 Kudos
jv_

AA Thought for the Day
  (courtesy AAOnline.net)

~ Scroll down for share ~

September 02, 2009

Security

After we come into AA, if we go on growing, our attitudes and actions toward security
  -- emotional security and financial security -- commence to change profoundly.
  - Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 115

Thought to Ponder . . .

The peaks and valleys of my life have become gentle rolling hills.

F R E E = Fortunately, Recovery Enhances Everything.

A Member Shares:
  Hello AA family, I'm Peyton, and I'm a grateful alcoholic. To live is to be free and to have the responsibility of choice. Addiction removes this freedom of choice; addiction takes away our freedom. In sobriety, I am involved in the joys of risk. I experience the pleasure and pain that comes with the responsibility of choice. Today I know I am living -- yesterday I had to read about it! I had lost all concepts of having any security when I came to AA. The only thing I could count on was that once I started drinking, I couldn't stop. There was no security there, nor was there any freedom. Choice was long gone where my active alcoholism was concerned. I lived in the hell of active alcoholism, trapped there, a prisoner of it. And believe me, there was no security in that at all. Today, by living this program, contact with my Higher Power, working the Steps, attending meetings, service work, and passing on the message, I have a wonderful life. A life free of active alcoholism, One Day At A Time. In my early sobriety, choices scared me. What if I made the wrong decision and ended up messing up? Or far worse, drinking again? That is when I learned to rely on my HP, my sponsor and my AA family. I talked things over with them and listened to them. I still made some bad choices, however I was able to make amends for most of those for which I'm grateful. Today, I can comfortably go to places I wouldn't have dared go in early sobriety. I have no problem with going into a pub for a meal, despite the drinking that is going on there. However, if I felt I was having a problem there, I'd not hesitate to leave. I have to make the choices that will allow me the freedom and life I enjoy today. If I do not, I may very well end back in the prison and hell of active alcoholism. I have the security from my HP, my AA family, this very suggested program for recovery, that helps me stay sober and in recovery. This helps me to make wiser decisions than I did in the past, and that feels really good. Thanks so much for allowing me to share today.
0 Kudos
jv_

AA Thought for the Day
  (courtesy AAOnline.net)

September 4, 2009

Belonging
  There is no more aloneness, with that awful ache,
  so deep in the heart of every alcoholic, that nothing, before, could ever reach it.
  That ache is gone and never need return again. . .
  Now there is a sense of belonging. . . In return for a bottle and a hangover,
  we have been given the Keys of the Kingdom.
  - Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 276

Thought to Ponder . . .

I'm not alone anymore.

Y A N A = You Are Not Alone.
0 Kudos
jv_

AA Thought for the Day
  (courtesy AAOnline.net)

September 5, 2009

Fear
  We shall have to try for all the freedom from fear that is possible for us to attain.
  Then we shall need to find both the courage and the grace
  to deal constructively with whatever fears remain.
  Trying to understand our fears, and the fears of others, is but a first step.
  The larger question is how, and where, we go from there.
  - The Language of the Heart, p. 265

Thought to Ponder . . .

Turn fear into faith.

F E A R = Frustration, Ego, Anxiety, Resentment.
0 Kudos
jv_

AA Thought for the Day
  (courtesy AAOnline.net)

September 6, 2009

Faith

The verdict of the ages is that faith means courage.
  All men of faith have courage. They trust their God.
  .- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 68

Thought to Ponder . . .

Faith dares the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see.

F A I T H = Finding Answers In The Heart.

A Member Shares:
  Hi all. Connie, alcoholic. For me, the opposite of faith is doubt. I doubted that I could stay sober for long when I got here, but have been shown differently. Because of having faith many things have occurred, both good and bad. Faith without works is dead, and that is why every day I work to keep my sobriety. The Twelve Steps are certainly a way of life for me; not just a book to read, meeting to go to, or phone call to make. Each day I do all I can for others and myself. The Big Book says, "The verdict of the ages is that faith means courage." I learned from someone that courage is the ability to change the familiar, and to this day, that is written on the title page of my BB. Change is inevitable. I can't keep some things from happening, like death, but I can be in control of what I say, think, and do. I can say I won't drink today. I can think that a drink is not an option. I cannot pick up that drink. Strength, courage, and comfort from my Higher Power have carried me through this past difficult year. I pray for them daily, several times. I am proud of myself and of the wondrous gift of four years sober. Today, I choose to trust God, clean house and help others. I have the faith, and keep on no matter what. Thank you!
  To respond to the sharer, please email DTShare@aaonline.net and it will be forwarded to them.
  (All shares are reproduced with the kind permission of the person sharing)

Thanks to all of you for sharing so generously of your experience, strength and hope in carrying the AA message.
0 Kudos
jv_

AA Thought for the Day
  (courtesy AAOnline.net)

September 7, 2009

Living Sober
  Somewhat to our surprise, staying sober turns out not to be
  the grim, wet-blanket experience we had expected!
  While we were drinking, a life without alcohol seemed like no life at all.
  But for most members of AA, living sober is really living -- a joyous experience.
  We much prefer it to the troubles we had with drinking.
  One more note: anyone can get sober. We have done it lots of times.
  The trick is to stay and to live sober.
  - Living Sober, Foreword

Thought to Ponder . . .

The peaks and valleys of my life have become gentle rolling hills.

A A = Always Alive.
0 Kudos
jv_

AA Thought for the Day
  (courtesy AAOnline.net)

September 8, 2009

An Invaluable Lesson
  I don't know what's best for me.
  I'd be happy to tell you what I want, but I don't know what I need. . .
  If I can remember to ask for God's grace to help me get out of my own way,
  and give up the business of managing my own life,
  I'll have a shot at experiencing the joy of good living that our literature talks about.
  That's an invaluable lesson.
  - The AA Grapevine, September 2009, p. 19

Thought to Ponder . . .

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

A A = Altered Attitudes.
0 Kudos
jv_

AA Thought for the Day
  (courtesy AAOnline.net)

September 9, 2009

Prayer

I'm still not sure who, or what, listens to my prayers,
  but I'd never stop saying them for the simple reason that they work.
  ..- Daily Reflections, p. 87

Thought to Ponder . . .

Prayers may seem unanswered, but never are.

H O P E = Hang On; Pray Every day.

A Member Shares:
  Hi, I'm Slam and I am an alcoholic. God seems to answer my prayers by experience in three ways: "Yes," "No," "If you insist." That seems to be the pattern. I hope I'm not going to be beating a dead horse by saying I'm gay, but the greatest unanswered prayer of my life -- one that I spent 3/4 of my life asking God about -- was that He make me a heterosexual. One day, when I was raging about God's unanswered prayer because I thought God didn't care, a man stood up to me and said, "Ya know, maybe God hasn't answered your prayer because God doesn't have a problem loving you." And the blinders came off me. I saw that God's love was either unconditional or it wasn't. And through the Fourth Step, I saw that God had been there all along loving me and trying to save my life despite myself. Not all those years of prayer were wasted though, because it has become a testimony to the absolute love of God. Gay alcoholics often come into AA burnt by religion, and they have tremendous issues trusting and believing that God can love them. Well I'm here to tell you God does. That has been my most unanswered prayer and I am so grateful that it was today.
  To respond to the sharer, please email DTShare@aaonline.net and it will be forwarded to them.
  (All shares are reproduced with the kind permission of the person sharing)
0 Kudos