Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

olddude51

Sick and tired of being sick and tired

• 51 years old

addicted to the nic since 14.

Quit cigarettes 8 years ago and went to ecigs.

well, that was dumb.

here I go again trying to put an end to the madness but this is my first support group.

Quit day in 2 days.

live in the mountains of East Tennessee and when I go deer hunting, I get winded walks by the hills.

with all the government overreach, why can’t they just outlaw stuff with nicotine in them.

thanks y’all 

Labels (1)
20 Replies
Barbscloud

@olddude51 Welcome to the ex and congrats on 2 days of success. Glad you found us. No matter the source, nicotine is an addictive chemical so yes it can be hard to quit. The fact that you vape almost anywhere doesn't make it any easier.

The same principles to quit smoking will apply to your quit. It's important to educate yourself about nicotine and have a quit plan. Knowledge and preparation have been made quitting possible for many of us. I never did neither in the past and I was never successful. I was planning my quit this time and found the Ex a week before my quit date. I finally learned how to quit and how important support from other quitters can be. Read lots of material on the site.

This link is a great place to start.

Quitting Guides

Believe in yourself that you can do it. Approaching your quit one day at a time helps to alleviate much of the anxiety we experience when we think about quitting.

We're here to support you so reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience, and to support other quitters.

Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

olddude51

Thanks

its time

where can I find the daily pledge?

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello and welcome to EX @olddude51! The Daily Pledge is always here when you're on your computer:

CommunityAdmin_0-1693660320221.png

If you're accessing EX on your mobile phone, it's right here:

CommunityAdmin_1-1693660474241.png

See you there!

Todd

EX Community Admin Team
Barbscloud

@CommunityAdmin Sorry.  Guess that wasn't helpful

0 Kudos
biscuit9

Cigs were designed to be addictive and if they outlawed nicotine alot of people would be very angry.  Take the time to learn how to quit this addiction, it will be worth it.  Read and ask questions and learn from others.  I was going to switch from cigs to vaping some years ago, but I couldn't make the transition and now I'm glad I didn't because vaping is no better than cigs, except there is no smell and the convenience.  Quit for your health and because climbing the hills and hunting is more important!  Quit day 350 for me and this has been quite the journey and I hope that you get nicotine out of your life.  

Maki

Thank you @olddude51 for sharing your story and your reasons for wanting to quit . Congratulations on taking the first step . We are all different but being able to breathe was one of the first things that I noticed had improved after quitting smoking . I hope it will be the same for you quitting e cigs . I don’t see a reason why that wouldn’t be true for you as well , but I’m not a dr, nor have I used e cigs and of course we are all different. 

Being able to breathe better happened a lot quicker that I thought it would , within three months I noticed a huge difference in my breathing . So be encouraged , overcome this addiction . No matter what , even if your breathing remains the same you won’t be hurting yourself more .

This last year a couple times I did a 10 k walk , hard not easy but I did it . I have asthma , moderate copd overlap and am on two inhalers , no oxygen , so if I can do this I know you can , I know anyone can . Others here will tell you the same . Many of us never thought we could quit or would quit but we overcame and proved ourselves wrong . 

If you have not had a lung function test , I highly recommend talking to your doctor about it . 

Your deer hunting and walking through that terrain should improve for next years deer hunt and life in general 🙂  Your aim now until then is to to quit e cigs , keep your eye on the bullseye .  Be smart . It all takes a plan in hunting  , it all takes a plan to quit addiction . The effort you put in will determine its success and is the most important key . Be prepared , gather the tools you need by coming here reading the testimony of others and the Mayo Clinic  blogs , journalling if it’s helpful ,  asking questions , perhaps participating in the ex cafe via zoom . The Ex cafe is a gathering with others who have and are going through what you are , and along with professionals you will have a chance to discuss quitting , ask questions and meet some of your fellow quitters and supporters there .  Next one is Sept 21 , I believe ! So it’s soon coming up . Scroll through the site , you will find more info about that and how to join . 

Welcome to Ex , welcome to your new beginning as an Ex . 

Maki 12 YOF 

Maki

When I posted my post , @biscuit9  post was not yet there and yet her time stamp is roughly a half hour difference .Guess it took me a half hour to write and in the meantime you posted Biscuit . So we are doubling with some of the same responses .. lol two people thinking alike 🙂 Guess it’s reaffirming that @olddude51 can do this .. 

olddude51

Thanks y’all 

0 Kudos