cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

buzzybee1990

Severe breathing issues and cough for 3 months w/ no long term fix.

I've spent the last 2 years getting out of an active and functional addiction. I've been clean for that long. I started running and working out 1.5 years ago when we purchased our first home. 3 months ago I started not being able to breathe when I laid down and wheezing. 

I went to the doctor for something else and mentioned it in passing during the check up. I told him it had been a few days and I didn't know if it was caused by smoking, so I cut down the amount of cigarettes a lot and switched from Reds to Ultra lights. He gave me an antibiotic for something else and I finished it. 

Two weeks later I went back because the breathing and wheezing issue got worse and now I had a productive cough. I was told it was likely bronchitis and given the same antibiotic again and steroids. It helped a lot until I ran out of steroids. Then a couple of days later it came back. 

I went back to the doctor again and she said it's probably COPD, but they have no xray so she's going to give me Ventolin for once a day and Albuterol for emergencies like overnight or walking in general when I would become out of breath. 

I looked up COPD and was scared out of my mind. I'm 32 years old and basically healthy at this point. I have no health history, and never worked in a factory or coal mine, and now I've been given a death sentence. A long one yes, but not long for someone who's 32. 

So 4 days later the chest pain started and I paid attention to my heart rate on my Fitbit. As soon as I would walk up the stairs or go for a walk my heart rate would jump to 110-130. Not even close to normal. I started having chest pain in my sternum that eventually radiated to the right side. I went to the ER. The nurse and doctor put me at ease and said they've seen people with COPD in the hospital, and those aren't my symptoms. They gave me blood tests, covid, flu, and other viral tests. Tested my blood for clots and more, gave me a chest xray and CT scan. They said it was pneumonia and gave me the same antibiotics and steroids. 

This time, I got well enough during steroids I was back on the treadmill running. After I finished the steroids I made it 4 days before I was back not breathing well, coughing, and with chest pain. I went to the urgent care and they gave me the same antibiotics and steroids. 

I didn't get much better, but it was liveable until I was off steroids again. 

I came back to the hospital yesterday morning around 7 am. They did a CT scan and said the "shattered glass" of something unspecified was worse. Not a lot worse, but there was more. They said I needed to see a pulmonologist for more specified tests and that would likely takes weeks to get in. So, they could give me antibiotics and steroids to hold me over (it's only a 5 day pack of steroids) and I could wait, or I could be admitted and see the pulmonologist within 24 hours. I seen him at 2:30 pm yesterday. He said he will get me in outpatient in 2 weeks. 

So, when the nurses came I was like can I go home then? They said not until I'm stable. That's great. Hopefully today will be the day. 

They've treated me with a Z Pack and steroids twice through an IV. They have taken bloodwork once fine, and tried two hours ago, but my veins are very scarred, so it doesn't always work. She said they'd try again later. Yay! 

I hate this. The not smoking is annoying, but I'm already down to 4 cigarettes before this and relying on Nicorette step 1 patches and gum, so as much as I have cravings due to boredom or stress I'm just holding on to the fact that I will have one when I leave and then quit for good. 

So, my planned not one more cigarette day is the 3rd, a day before our vacation. I'm nervous, but I've built good quitting habits I think. 

I hate being here and not taking care of my just fixed pups, and my eight year old son. My husband and partner of 10 years has been amazing and he's promised to bring our son to his Mom's tomorrow evening if I'm still here and sleep with me because sleeping alone is not helping with the stress. 

The breathing treatments, steroids, and Z pack has me feeling a lot better than when I came in but I'm still out of breath with intermittent dull chest pain. My blood pressure has been Elevated since this started when I've never had an issue before. That's worrisome too. It was high today for the first time, but it went back down to Elevated after a few hours and the nurse said it's likely the steroids, so that made me feel slightly better. 

I think maybe I made things worse by taking dayquil and mucinex as much or more than the box recommended to stop my coughing and allowed it to build. At least, that's what I'm hoping. 

Well, I can't sleep and I'm scared. So, I guess this is partially me trying to distress and maybe ask if anyone else has dealt with this odd health situation and what the outcome was? 

I have midterms due for college in two days for two classes, so that's stressful. I graduate with my first degree in December for sure, and I've been on The Dean's List and community College honor roll the entire time. I'm pretty proud of myself, so I hope I'm not dying. 

Beth
Labels (2)
18 Replies
MarilynH

I'm sorry that you're going through all of this @buzzybee1990 but hopefully you'll be back on your feet and back home again! It's time to take back your life from the clutches of the horrid nicotine poison, you're only 32 years old you've got your whole life ahead of you! Please read everything you can there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's definitely NOT easy by any stretch of the imagination but as long as you're willing determined and totally committed to succeed then you will persevere through the roller coaster ride of cravings and moodswings and lack of sleep to be Free! 

PSX_20210630_090820.jpg

Stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're all here to help you in any way we can! 

49150af603024722aa3818b9f85f1372.jpg

f9506bc4246a4531b4bd6b9671c53c67.jpg

buzzybee1990

Thank you so much. I know I can do it. My husband is on bored and switched to ultra lights, nicotine patch/gum, and cut down a lot with me, so that's helped a ton. I can tell he's not quite as ready as me which makes quitting an addiction harder. We were addicted for 8 years to opiates as IV drug users and kept bringing each other down until we didn't anymore. 

Thankfully, I think we learned a lot from that. Nicotine won't be anywhere as hard as that. I won't feel like I'm actually dying I'm sure, but that doesn't make it any less harder when it is just as much of an emotional and lifestyle crutch as any addiction. 

I'm contemplating not having one more when I do leave the hospital, but if I do it will only be half and then I'm going to not give myself any one last times lol. 

Thanks again for the support. I'm really scared/stressed right now. Not being able to breathe for so long is terrifying when I can't get an answer as to a reason. 

Still, I know smoking even 4 ultra lights a day is irritating the situation and I need to choose to just stop so I can help myself heal. 

I'm glad I found this resource for that reason. I've read a few posts and everyone seems so kind, helpful, and supportive which is not easy to find online or even in real life these days. Love that! I feel welcome for sure. I'm going to utilize this resource as much as needed and hopefully be able to turn around and help people as well. 

Beth
0 Kudos
diamond01

your post was so good.

0 Kudos
slater01

I understand completely and wish you improved health in the future.  I too have been diagnosed with COPD as well as vascular necrosis, both of which have limited my mobility and daily functions.

buzzybee1990

That's what im afraid of. They said at my first CT scan, xray, and hospital visit it didn't look like that, and that it was definitely pneumonia, but now a month later with it being 3 months later with this issue they just aren't sure. 

My husband has a coworker he's close with that has had COPD for ten years and he has continued smoking that he spoke to. That man's wife also has had it for a similar amount of time and were diagnosed in their mid 30s. He said that with me running on the treadmill for 30-60 min without needing to slow down it would be unlikely, and at my age not having any prior health issues such as asthma ever in my life it was unlikely. 

I'm hopeful that's true. Still, I'm scared I have no answers really. I'm scared I keep getting completely better on steroids and once the 5 days is over I'm sick within days again and unable to breathe and coughing stuff up that goes from white back to green (sorry if that's tmi). I'm scared of the chest pain, the new high BP, and high heart rate constantly over this 3, turning into 4 months. 

I'm glad I'm getting to see a pulmonologist. At this point I'd just like answers. Thanks so much for your reply. I hope you get feeling better or the progression slows for you. 

Beth
Barbscloud

@buzzybee1990 Welcome to the Ex and sorry you're experiencing such a health scare.  I'm really glad you're seeing  a Pulmonologist.  Sounds like that should have happened much sooner.  I quit smoking when I was diagnosed during my annual LDCT for smokers.  My diagnosis was mild emphysema and didn't have any symptoms. Please be cautious of the information you're receiving from different people and wait to see what the Pulmonologist determines.  There are many smokers here that have exercised even though they smoked.  I don't run  a treadmill , but I do the same exercises before and after quitting. 

This would be a great time to quit and not start up again when you're discharged. Cutting down to 4 cigarettes is a great start, but you're keeping the addiction going by reintroducing nicotine. Congrats on successfully quitting opiates, but don't lose sight of the fact that quitting nicotine is equated to quitting heroin. So be prepared for some ups and downs on this journey to be coming an ex.

I'm glad you found our site. This does take work and commitment.   It's important to educate yourself about nicotine and have a quit plan. Knowledge and preparation have been made quitting possible for many of us. I never did neither in the past and I was never successful. I was planning my quit this time and found the Ex a week before my quit date. I finally learned how to quit and how important support from other quitters can be. Read lots of material on the site. This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Believe in yourself that you can do it. Preparing for you quit day and approaching your quit one day at a time, helps to alleviate much of the anxiety we experience when we think about quitting.

We're here to support you so reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience, and to support other quitters.

Hoping you'll soon get some resolution on what is causing your symptoms.  In the meantime, try not to think the worse.  I know that's not always easy to do, but added stress is not helping breathing,  blood pressure, etc.  

Proud of you for making this decision for your health.  Try some deep breathing exercises. They can really help to relieve stress and calm yourself down.

Barbscloud_0-1675435670549.gif

Barb

0 Kudos
diamond01

so good !!!!!

0 Kudos
biscuit9

So sorry you are dealing with all of this.  Prayers for strength and healing, at this time.  I know how hard it is to to get off of nicotine, quit day 286.  I encourage you to quit now.   You have youth on your side and nicotine will not give you anything, it only takes from you.  Put your health first.

0 Kudos
Wozlik

I absolutely understand having been recently diagnosed with a bunch of scary crap.  However, I’m double your age and want to encourage you to continue your journey to being a non-smoker.

2 years clean from addiction is fantastic!  You know the commitment and dedication that took (I’ve got17 years).  And you have a great toolbox already.  Now we need to start using those tools to help us get into this new way of life.  I believe in you!