cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Not a Hallmark Christmas

Mine certainly won't be!

This illness (COPD exacerbation) has me down both physically and mentally. Shortness of breath, steroids and albuterol make me hyper-anxious and being out of work makes me depressed, frustrated and sad. 
To add to the mix I can't be around my Family because they are passing around a cold which could send me right back into the hospital. So no Christmas gathering this year. No grandkids with big smiles, hugs and kisses. And I'm living on savings because - no work, no pay.

Soooo, what's a person to do?

"Mental health professionals who treat people with this problem suggest the following:

• First, if the depression is serious, seek out the help of a qualified mental health professional;
  • Set personal boundaries regarding the money spent on gifts and the number of social events;
  • Don't accept any "perfect" representation of Christmas that the media, institutions or other people try to make you believe. Lower your expectations and any attachment to what it should look like; be present and enjoy each moment as best you can;
  • Become involved in giving in a non-monetary way through charities and worthwhile causes that help less fortunate people;
  • Be grateful for what you have in your life, rather than focusing on what you don't have;
  • Avoid excessive rumination about your life; 
  • Take action and do interesting and fun things;
  • If you are religious, take part in church activities that focus on the bigger meaning of Christmas;
  • Focus your thoughts on all the good things about Christmas--the opportunity to engage in loving kindness, generosity of spirit, and gratitude for others in your life."

Why People Get Depressed at Christmas | Psychology Today 

Will it solve all of my emotions? Maybe not. But it's better to make the effort than to sit here ruminating!

No matter how your Christmas looks - with other people or alone - I will celebrate my Life and Eternal Salvation with my personal  Lord and Savior who is right here next to me at this very moment. I will let it go beyond looks and become a Spiritual Journey that satisfies a Very Merry Christmas to my Spirit!

Tidings of Comfort and Joy!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I send you tidings of comfort and joy and much love.IMG_7467.JPG

(and snow - what's not to like about snow at Christmas?)

Hope your day is loving!

Nancy

Barbara145

Merry Christmas Thomas.  So sorry for your exacerbation. Hopefully you are able to be loving and good and forgiving with yourself.  I had one exacerbation after the other after I got out of the hospital last August.  Steroids, oxygen, antibiotics etc  I was in the doctor.s ofc every 5 minutes carrying my O-2   One day my doctor wasn't there and I saw another physician an Asian female.  I said I can't get off of these oral steroids.  She said Symbicort will take care of that. She was right.  I have been off oral steroids for over a year now.  She also said it takes 7 years for lungs to heal after quitting smoking.  Also I heard a doctor say our cells are continually being replaced.  That is a lot of hope.  I also use natural antibiotics everyday.  Oil of Wild Oregano, under my tongue (it is amazing, Olive Leaf extract pills (they are amazing) and organic Mangosteen juice.  Keeping you in my prayers for healing my brother in Christ.   Love,    Barbara

elvan

Thomas3.20.2010‌ I am so sorry but I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this with us...I wish I could take away all of the dangers so you could be with your beloved granddaughters, I wish that I could make all of the financial problems go away, I know that is a HUGE stressor.  Please know that you are loved and appreciated and while it may not be a Hallmark Christmas...you are the most gentle and kind and loving man ever and you embody Christmas every day of your life.

Hugs and prayers,

Ellen

RachelMB

I'm thinking of you and hoping you feel better.   Know that you have the support of all of us, even if you can't be around your family.  Sending peaceful thoughts and hugs your way! 

Rachel

freeneasy

Good information! Thanks, Thomas.

dwwms

Thought and prayers for you, Thomas. May the peace of Christ help you through this season. I hope you will be able to see your grandchildren soon. This can be a trying season for so many for so many reasons. Thanks for all the great advice above.

Doug

JACKIE1-25-15

Thanks for the reminder,

Thomas, I will be present and enjoy each moment as best you can;

• Be grateful for what you have in your life, rather than focusing on what you don't have;
  • We could be under the ground instead of on top of it.
  • We still have the love of family in our hearts
  • Pray for those who will be lonely this time of year
  • Pray that the true meaning of Christmas will be the focus
  • Take care of yourself.  Merry Christmas any who! Be Blessed.
MarilynH

Thanks Thomas, I wish you and your Beautiful family a very Merry Christmas and I hope you keep feeling better and better each passing day.

gottastop2

Thomas, you expressed the real reason for the season and where to find joy during the holidays  when you said "I will celebrate my Life and Eternal Salvation with my personal Lord and Savior who is right here next to me at this very moment. " Merry Christmas and I hope you start feeling better soon!!