cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

mark_k

Mental Health Support

Linda, first of all... Congratulations! You're doing great for yourself and I hope that the road is smooth from here on out with only minor bumps along the way. I'm hoping that after a while we'll be able to walk past people smoking and turn around the 'if only I could' attitude into a 'if only I could help them like so many had helped me'. Oh, and lest I forget.... I wanted to tell you... 'mentally challenged', though very PC isn't as fun as how I like to consider phrasing it... try 'social underdogs'... everyone loves an underdog and it makes people smile! (Admit it... you just smiled... at least a little bit) 😃
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
200 Replies
jeanie4

Well...I'm going to give Chantix a try when my ins. pays for it.  Has anyone else with bipolar tried Chantix?

0 Kudos
auntdee

Hi

I am on day 4 of my quit and beginning to panick.  I won't pick up a cigarette and desparately need someone i can call or email when the cravings become overwhelming.  It's all overwhleming me, now.  Would someone please help me? 

Auntdee

0 Kudos
jerry3

Auntdee, My name's Jerry. I am 55 years old and have been a smoker for 39 years. On Oct. 7th, 2009, I suffered a mild stroke. Thankfully, there was no physical damage. Although the stroke was not entirely from smoking, my Doctors told me it was imperative to quit smoking. Never thought I could do it. My doctor put me on Chantix and am still taking it. (today is Feb 19th). Chantix is a six month program...I've got 2 months left. With support from my wife and kids, I haven't touched a cigarette since that day, Oct. 7th. If I can do it, so can you. You CAN Auntdee. Chantix may not be for everyone, but I feel it helped save my life. I can now be in a smoke filled room, and it doesn't bother me. The key for me is is to keep my mouth busy. I'm always chewing gum or have a toothpick handy. Yup, still have urges, but my MIND overrules them. I'm hoping I can stay smoke free after my Chantix program is over. I feel I'll do just fine. Good luck Auntdee. DO IT!!! Feel free to email me for chat and support.

0 Kudos
lorilor

I have panic disorder and it has come back full stream since I quit a week ago. I feel like I am crawling out of my skin. I just want to stay under the blankets. I was a happy smoker and now I am a miserable non smoker. It makes no sense but I keep hoping each day it will get better. I am on medication for panic and its worked for over 20 years but I may have to adjust it. Can you talk to your dr? He may be able to give you something temporarily.  These medications do work.

Good luck to u and hang in there its worth your health

0 Kudos
roosmom

read the book from panic to power book  lucinda bassett

I too suffer from panic attacks

I cut out the caffeine, smoking, and am 65 perent better from that alone, the rest is cognative for me

Reading these books helped me a lot

0 Kudos
jeanie4

Hi.  Just joined group.  The name caught my attention.  My last 3 quits have been twarted by anxiety or depression.  In a more stable place in my life right now.  I also know that anxiety & depression are part of nic withdrawal, so I know now it will pass,  It scared me into smoking before but NOT THIS TIME!  I started Chantix and my quit date is 2/27/10.  So...I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks for listening/reading.

0 Kudos
prissiee

i have panic attacks and thay are worst since i stoped smoking becouse i could smoke to calm down today is 11 gays for me help someone

0 Kudos
angie46

i tried it but i always had trouble remembering 2 take meds so it never worked 4 me i just used the patch 4 a week then chewed straws the rest of the time and now march 7th will b 4 months no cigs 4 me

0 Kudos
bburkhardt

I have anxiety and depression and with the help of prozac keep it under control. But the problem I have is that sometimes I get anxiety and it's hard to breath or my breath will catch and it seems like it's from the smoking and I really want to quit at those times but then the next day I have a smoke and it starts again. I really do want to quit but it is so hard. I've done it before but seem to always go back. I know a lot is mind over matter but it is so hard.

0 Kudos
jeanie4

Day 8 on the Chantix and no nausea or bad dreams.  Day 2  of quit.  I had NO cigs yesterday.  Some cravings, but not at all as bad as before.  I still remember to take my meds.  My Doc upped the antidepressant, anti-anxiety and Lithium, so should be good.

Today I  will not smoke because I made a promise to myself and I'm going to keep it!

0 Kudos