cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Living With COPD When the Weather Turns Cold: Can A Humidifier Help?

Have you ever noticed how the air becomes dry in the winter? This can make your Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) worse. Perhaps you know the best solution to protect your lungs from harsh winds is to cover your nose and mouth with a scarf while outside.

What about when you’re inside? Even though it’s not windy in your living room, the naturally dry winter air can still irritate your lungs and worsen your symptoms when you're living with COPD. The solution to bone-dry indoor air may be to start using a humidifier.

What Is Humidity?

Healthline defines humidity as the amount of water vapor in the air. Too little humidity in the winter leaves your skin, nose and throat feeling irritated and dry. Too much humidity can harbor mold and dust mites, which certainly doesn’t make living with COPD easier. The key is to strike the perfect balance, which another Healthline article identifies as 40 percent humidity.

Which Type of Humidifier Is Best?

From portable units to whole-house systems, humidifiers are great at countering the dry air your furnace pumps into the room. With multiple types and sizes to choose from, how do you select the perfect one? 

According to an article published by registered nurse Jennifer Serafin at Caring.com, a portable humidifier with an evaporative or "cool mist" version is especially helpful. She recommends that you change the water daily to prevent contamination. If the humidifier comes with a filter, you should change that in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, as well.

Whole-house humidifiers are another option. The Air-Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute states that these are incorporated into the heating system so the air exiting supply registers is humid. Whole-house options evenly humidify the entire home, and they also have a built-in humidistat to measure the relative humidity and keep it at the ideal 40 percent.

With more moisture in the air, you should find it easier to breathe comfortably at home this winter. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
candylance

Had an asthma attack day before yesterday after I took a friend of mine to the ER. Didn't know if it was stress or cooler air. Wore my oxygen the rest of the day after using my rescue inhaler(which I always have with me). Another part of COPD. We have a humidifier for our whole house that we got 3 years ago when I was diagnosed. I like to stay at home during the winter months which aren't that bad here in Virginia.

0 Kudos

My mom is on constant oxygen, though when sh quits smoking I hope this will change. However, I am gratgeful for this post as I had no idea the cold air would affect her breathing. Thank yhou for thie tips about the scarf over the face and the humidifieer. I will make sure to get these thing for my mom as winter is making itself known around here.

0 Kudos