cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Living With COPD: How Hospitable Is Your Home?

If you’re living with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), you need your home to be as hospitable as possible. But the word "hospitable" has many meanings, so it may be confusing to know exactly how your home should be prepared. Read on for 11 tips for making your home extremely "hospitable."

According to Healthline, a hospitable home:

• Is smoke-free - If you haven’t quit smoking yet, ask your doctor for tips. Then, request family members and guests in your home smoke outside.

• Is well ventilated - A home with standing water harbors mold, mildew and bacteria that make living with COPD more difficult. Ventilation, especially in the bathroom and kitchen, helps dry moisture quickly so these problems don’t develop.

• Has a dehumidifier - Overly humid air makes breathing uncomfortable. If you don’t have an air conditioner, install a dehumidifier to make indoor humidity levels more comfortable.

• Is equipped with the right appliances - Gas appliances should vent to the outside, bathrooms should be equipped with exhaust fans and carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on each floor.

• Includes the fewest chemicals possible - Clean with natural products and avoid using aerosols, pesticides, air fresheners, candles and other products that release chemicals into the air.

• Is pet-free - Pet dander can be irritating while living with COPD. Be sure your carpets and linens are cleaned regularly and consider keeping pets out of the bedroom.

• Has clean bedding - To cut down on irritating dust mites, wash your bedding often in hot water. Hypoallergenic mattress and pillow covers are helpful, as well.

• Is organized - Keep medications, emergency phone numbers and personal medical information in an easily accessible location in case you need to leave quickly.

• Has plenty of seating - Place chairs in nontraditional locations to conserve your energy as you prepare food, brush your teeth and groom yourself.

• Has a restful bedroom - Make it easy to fall asleep by establishing a bedtime routine. Sleep with a single warm quilt instead of layers of bedding that can tangle up, and keep a light by your bed.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
promise_judy

Good advise. Thank you Thomas.

Judy

0 Kudos
johio

TY Thomas

0 Kudos

Thank you, Thomas.

I will work on these!

0 Kudos
Minilove

Thank you so much for this. After almost dying from COPD a month ago, my family was told I basically have to live in a bubble, a home that is as sanitary as a hospital. So not only am I working on staying quit, I am learning as much as I can about living with COPD.

TerrieQuit

This is a great post, Thomas! Thanks for it!

0 Kudos
constanceclum

My home has most of these basics but I'm not getting rid of my 10 yr. old cats.

Connie

0 Kudos