cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Living With COPD: 4 Morale Boosters When You're Feeling Low

Since Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) makes breathing more difficult, the condition affects every aspect of your life. Shortness of breath and lack of energy may make the activities you once performed with ease not seem worth it anymore. However, when living with COPD gets you down, don’t let it get the best of you. Instead, use these tips from EverydayHealth  to boost your morale when you’re feeling low.

• Stay active - Physical exercise may not come as easily as it once did, but staying active is an important part of staying happy and healthy while living with COPD. Exercise stimulates your heart rate, which ultimately makes you feel better. Plus, when you keep your muscles and lungs strong, you remain more capable of doing the things you love, which is a serious morale booster.

• Join a support group - You’re not the only person in your community living with COPD or another type of chronic lung disease. Find a support group in your area where you can meet with others in a similar situation. Share your experience, lend an ear to others’ problems and lift each other’s spirits as you realize you’re not alone.

• Do things you enjoy - Take some time every day to do something you love. It might be reading a book, playing the piano, knitting, gardening or calling a close friend. Never let your daily responsibilities get in the way of making "you time" a priority. You’ll find that doing things you love helps fight off low feelings.

• Get medical help - If your efforts aren’t enough to fight off feelings of depression, talk with your doctor about how you’re feeling. Depression is a diagnosable illness that has a few treatment options. There’s no reason to suffer in silence when your doctor may be able to prescribe medication to help you feel better.

Depression is something no one wants to face. These tips for boosting your spirits should help ensure your negative feelings don’t last long.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
charo-lynn

Thank you for the information. Thomas.....am back as a return stayin quit smoker.

This is my 27 day, almost 4 weeks, am doing good, still coughing up yuk, have had a few short breath spells, wish my energy would come back, need to do so much work around the house. Depressing is getting better. so over all my 50 yrs of smoking detox is getting better.

I would say I wish I had never started but I DID THIS TO MYSELF, and am very thankful I am staying quit.

my prayers are with all of you.

charo44@aol.com

0 Kudos