cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

renee95

Inhaler's fail.

I was laying in bed. After I smoked my (turns out) last cigarette. I was trying to draw in oxgen and couldn't. Started forcefully coughing, trying to get up the blockage. I needed to be able to draw in breath in order to take my rescue inhaler.

A lot of good an inhaler is if you can't draw in oxgen. Choking, Coughing, finally barely I had some room to take a puff. One puff, two puffs still couldn't breath. 

Years of prednisone, inhalers. Steriods packed in like candy. And it took this night. Knowing I almost died and no one knew it. Just to be clear my addiction was so bad that after a breathing treatment it was not unlike me to have a smoke. This is the first time I said I need to just stop. Whatever it takes I need to stop.

I asked my mom years ago why she didn't smoke. She said because she is to ornery to let anything have that much power over her. She said I won't be a slave to anything and especially a stinky cigarette. Works out, ME EITHER MOM.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community/

I am so glad you found us - because we can help.  We are a community of ex-smokers who stay around to help others and people in various stages of quitting.  We have lots of experience helping people quit.  If you follow our advice, we can make it a  bit easier for you, and you will get TONS of support!

The most important thing you can do to start is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your mind and body. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, do the tracking and separation exercises, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might also want to visit quitsmokingonline.com, and whyquit.com.

After you have completed the readings, it will be time to make your quit plan, including what quit aid , if any, you will use, and the crave busters you think will work for you. Then you can approach your quit day with a plan in place.  

Be sure to ask when you have questions and let us know if you need support.  We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
rizza

Your mom and you have got it rigt. NO being a slave to anyting, YUP, mom knows everything and is always right. 

Welcome, you have come to the right place!

0 Kudos

Please listten to Nancy (youngatheart).  Please do the reading.

you deserve to be free of this addiction and the people on this site can help you to learn how.

Welcome!!

0 Kudos
roxie-girl

what did you finally do to ketch you breath. I have albuteral neb  it doesn;t seen to work as good I do feel somewhat better but still takes awhile to get mt breathing reg, and anymore it  get a liittle shaky after treatment

0 Kudos
roxie-girl

what did you finally do to ketch you breath. I have albuteral neb  it doesn;t seen to work as good I do feel somewhat better but still takes awhile to get mt breathing reg, and anymore it  get a liittle shaky after treatment

0 Kudos