cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Handling Insensitive Questions about Smoking Related Illness

20% of our Community has been diagnosed with COPD - Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - and 20% more have the disease but don't know it! If you have smoked more than 100 sickerettes in your lifetime (and who of us hasn't?) tell, don't ask,  your Doctor for a Spirometry Test that will detect and diagnose COPD early. COPD goes undiagnosed or diagnosed very late stages for most of us and that limits treatment options and quality of life!

But this Blog is about insensitive questions and once diagnosed, you will get them and often from coworkers, 'friends', even from family members! So be prepared!

You’re at a family outing, a get-together with friends or a community group, and someone says, 
  “You knew smoking was bad for you, why didn’t you quit a long time ago?” 
  A question like this can be frustrating, especially when smoking is just one potential risk factor for 
  COPD. The best way to deal with insensitive questions is to be prepared. 

1. If you can walk away, do so. Getting 
  defensive will waste your energy.

2. If you can’t walk away, redirect their 
  comment. Say something like, “I’m sure 
  you don’t know how insensitive that 
  question is.”

3. Use relaxation techniques such as 
  meditation to make sure you don’t hold 
  onto that question throughout your day, 
  and possibly not be able to sleep. 

4. Treat yourself well. Fill your life with 
  supportive people who don’t judge you.

That goes for everybody in your life - even family!!!!

Often I hear from folks who have been diagnosed with COPD and yet live with smokers. It is absolutely necessary that your loved ones who smoke 'get it' that being around second hand smoke for COPDers shaves Months - even Years - off of your life expectancy and destroys your Quality of Life! It is also necessary for you to make a decision to stay away from all smoke, even fireplaces and BBQs, no matter what extreme measure you have to take to get there! 

Living an EXcellent Life is possible with COPD if and only if you manage your illness by smoking cessation, environmental hygiene, exercise, and nutrition. I can honestly say that I am healthier now than I have ever been in my entire life because COPD forced me to take all of the other elements of my health seriously - including healthy relationships!

Live Long and Prosper!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
elvan

Good blog and good advice.  I find more people asking me how I quit and then when I try to answer, their eyes glaze over.  I think that every person I have been around in the past couple of weeks in a social setting has been smoking, some as young as 20 or as old as 84.  I do not know the level of my COPD but I am exercising (indoors) now and I am doing what I can to help myself to get healthy.  I cannot tolerate walking any distance because of my shoulder and my allergies.  In the house, I can get a pretty decent workout on the exercise bike and have the fan on me.   I think I am stronger than I have been in a very long time.

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

I would hope that the insensitive people would be few and far between.   It breaks my heart to think that you or anyone would have to deal with that.  Please focus on those who love you, those who support you, and those who will stand before you so you don't have to put up with those other jackasses 🙂

Nice blog, Thomas!!  You always know just what to say.....

0 Kudos