Connect with others living with health conditions

dawn4

Cancer Survivors and Fighters

Good morning, Jojo!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
120 Replies
pam-c

Thot I'd join as this group pretty much describes me!  Hello Dawn!

0 Kudos
dawn4

Hi Pam!

I celebrated three years cancer free in June!

0 Kudos
veraelaine

My name is Veraelaine.  Next month, I will have survived one full year  as a breast cancer survivor.  I'm also one year as a non smoker.  I wanted to quit, but cancer was not what I had in mind.  I'm trying to convince my husband to try using the patch while he's in the hospital.

My personal problem, is that I still want to smoke, even when I see this smirk where my breast used to be.  Well, time for another piece of chocolate.  Help.

Vera.

0 Kudos
dawn4

Hi Veraelaine!ur

welcome to the group!

congratulations on one year cancer free and smoke free! 

it's interesting that you comment on a topic which i have avoided even after 14 months "clean" (we all know that nicotine is a highly addictive drug).  Like every other addict  I spent years rationalizing my decision to use.  Even AFTER cancer.  Since each "cancer" is somewhat different from another, It can be very easy to justify, lie to ourselves.  In my particular form of cancer, the official literature is that there appears to be a correlation between  the incidence of smoking and the cancer, but a CAUSAL relationship has not been established.  But who was I trying to kid????  Afterall, we all know lots of smokers who don't have cancer, and we also know people who never smoked who have suffered the ravages of cancer. 

MY Addict mindset allows me to dismiss the obvious and continue to poison mySELF  AND those whom I claim to love.

SO...................... how did i get from that crazy thinking to fourteen months smoke free???   what changed???  I'm REALLY not sure!  AND I do know that I love life SMOKE FREE and I'm soooooo grateful to be here, today.

0 Kudos
dawn4

P.S.

I actually decided to work a 12 step recovery program for my smoking which has really been a key factor.

Consider reading  Kellie's blog, her story has inspired me for the past 14 months!

0 Kudos
robinday61069

I had breast cancer, but have been cancer free for 2 years now. How do I join this group for cancer survivors?  I cannot see much information here on how to sign up.  Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
pam-c

RobinDay,  you aren't missing anything.  Just click on "join" on the left of this column. No formal discussions have been started yet.  This is a new group and I think admin is just waiting to see how many join.  Congrats on being Cancer free for 2 years!

I too had breast cancer. Dbl Mastectomy was March of this year so I guess next March should mark my 1 year free?

Dawn, Congrats on 3 wonderful cancer free years! Congrats on 14+ fantastic months of being smoke free!

Vera, Hang in there!  It is really hard but worth it not to smoke.  It really does get easier - eventually.  The time frame is different for each but I can say now that I crave so few times and am enjoying being a non-smoker, living a non-smoking life.  Congrats on 1 full year of being cancer free.

0 Kudos
dawn4

Hey "guys",

I've been avoiding the group as I was recently diagnosed with another cancer.  still processing info I suppose.

0 Kudos
pete-s

Hello Everyone!

I'm not a cancer survivor, nor do I have cancer, but my wife did and I took care of her for 3 1/2 years when no one else would. So I am a survivor, just from the other side of the disease. If this isnt the group for me please let me know. 

0 Kudos