Connect with others living with health conditions

dawn4

Cancer Survivors and Fighters

Good morning, Jojo!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
120 Replies
ruthless3

WELCOME! I created this group in hopes of finding some allies in the fight against cancer and the struggle to stay smoke-free.

I was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 1/2 months ago, told to quit smoking, and just embarked on 2 back-to-back surgeries to remove part of each lung.

I fight the urge to smoke every minute of every day all the while realizing it's absolutely ridiculous to even THINK of ever putting smoke into my lungs again... but, nonetheless, I still have the urge.

Anybody out there going through the same thing?

0 Kudos
burchg1

maybe you should try some antidepressents my doctor recommended them to me in the quest to quit smoking, maybe this will help you.

0 Kudos
kimormanward

i had ovaian and cervicall cancer and i had a total hysterectomy and treatments as well as i was pregant with twins. they died june secnd,of ofour. and the anniversay of tneir deaths if coming soon and im terrified im going to smoke

0 Kudos
ljones3

i been told that I need to quit asap, but it's hard because of the stress. I lost my sister in 2011, during my chemo I had no emotional support from my partner and in fact they added to my stress. I want to quit so bad. I 'm tired of being a slave to cigarettes. I'm glad I joined this community. I think it is going to help me a lot surrounding myself with people who understand my struggle.

0 Kudos
ljones3

i been told that I need to quit asap, but it's hard because of the stress. I lost my sister in 2011, during my chemo I had no emotional support from my partner and in fact they added to my stress. I want to quit so bad. I 'm tired of being a slave to cigarettes. I'm glad I joined this community. I think it is going to help me a lot surrounding myself with people who understand my struggle.

0 Kudos
jaydadawn

Ruthless, I like you am just recently diagnosed and will know on friday if this is primary lung cancer or metastized thyroid or lymphoma...I was prescribed the patch and I have been told not to smoke on it but the urge is about to drive me insane thank you for showing me I am not the only one with this addiction ...be blessed and know you aren't fighting this alone {{hugs}}

0 Kudos
tbc6374

I had Stage 3 Thyroid cancer at 22 yrs old. I am now 35. I am so glad I found this group. It makes me feel better that I am not the only cancer survivor that smokes. Any tips, ideas are welcome. I can't do quit smoking meds because it messes up my thyroid levels. I will be going cold turkey. 

0 Kudos
matolliver

Hello I am Margaret Anne, I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer...I am having a bi-lateral  masteconomy and reconstruction on the 31st of this month. I would like to join this group...although I am not a survivor yet, I plan to be. I quit smoking 5 days ago...yip, yip hooray. 

0 Kudos
esweeks

I am a 3 year breast cancer survivor! I am 60 and have smoked since I was 16.  I now have copd and hurt everywhere!  I love cigarettes and hate them at the same time.  I truly an addicted! I have to quit and want to quit for myself and my family.  My date is set for next week!  Please pray for me. 

0 Kudos
jodi.miller21

Hi all,

I am new to this group. In fact today is the day I put the cigarettes down. I put on the patch this morning and so far.... well I want one, but I am bound and determine to not have one!! I am an ovarian cancer survivor, almost two years now. I have been smoking since I was 11 years old. My husband also smokes... he is quitting today as well. I know it sounds stupid to anyone who has not been there, but that big C diagnosis should have made me drop those cigarette right then and there, but it didn't. In fact, I couldn't wait to get out of the doctors office so I could have that first long drag before I called anyone. Having cancer wasn't enough to make me want to quit; the every other month bought with bronchitits, not enough; the fact that I have been a nurse for 20 years and seen everything it causes, not enough... I think what has finally done it for me is that my son is getting married. With any luck, that means grandchildren someday. My biggest reason to quit is that I am afraid I won't be able to simply go outside a toss a ball to my grandchild if I don't stop NOW. I so want to play with my future grandchildren.... I want to be around for them. Congrats to all of you who are reading these posts. I think it means we are doing something right!!

0 Kudos