cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

CPAP Treatment Update

It’s been an interesting experience as I discover the benefits of CPAP treatment. Almost a month in now and the number of apneas that I have at night has become consistent at four to five an hour.

I can really tell the difference now, and some nights I wake up and think my mask has fallen off because I’ve become that used to wearing it. The benefits are amazing! So much more energy and just plain being alert like I haven’t been in a long time.

To anyone who even suspects they might have this condition, I would recommend the testing and the treatment if warranted. Though some may find the mask to be obtrusive, the benefits that come from wearing it outweigh the slight discomfort that comes from getting used to it.

Quality of life to me is more important than going through a little discomfort, as I’ve already proven to myself when I quit smoking.

When I felt a cold coming on, I did increase my oxygen level through the machine to three liters an hour, and for some reason that caused things to stabilize as far as the number of apneas goes. I’m seeing my doctor this Monday so this weekend I intend to drop the oxygen level back down to two to see if I stay the same on number of apneas.

For those that might be interested, I’ll keep posting what I discover. Well, off to work! Have a fabulous smoke free Friday!!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
11 Replies
JustSharon

I have been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. I refused treatment. I wear oxygen every night for COPD and I told the doc that was all I needed. I got a good scolding for my attitude about it, but I really felt this was the new "signature" disease in order to promote more products. I have never woke gasping for air, but tests did conclude that I have sleep apnea. Any who, I use my oxygen and feel it sufficient for now.

0 Kudos
elvan

I am so glad that it is working so well for you, Chuck.  I hope that you JustSharon‌ will reconsider.  I am just on oxygen at night but I am not a candidate for CPAP.  You might feel MUCH better with the right treatment.  CPAP has been around for a very long time, it's not something new, they were using it in the 90's when I was still working.  Please consider it for your benefit.

Ellen

0 Kudos
JustSharon

Thanks Ellen, I may reconsider at some point. Thanks for your concern.

0 Kudos

I would totally consider using CPAP if it were recommended. I suggested to my Dr  that I have a sleep test and he flat out refused. I changed Drs. I haven't had a chance to talk to the new Dr about testing but I will once the dust settles from the current testing. Sleep Apnea is not just a fad - it's very real and CPAP is a God-send. They used to have to intubate to get the same benefits!

Thanks for your observations, Chuck! I'm so glad you're noticing the benefits already!!!

0 Kudos
shashort

I swear by my CPAP machine. Can't sleep without it. 

0 Kudos

Even after one month, I have to agree. I actually look FORWARD to sleep now. Something that never happened before,

shashort

I know what you mean since the CPAP my sleep seems to be more restful and wake up feeling like I slept and more energy. It does make a difference!!

0 Kudos

Thomas3.20.2010‌ I hadn't even thought about having a sleep disorder. Never crossed my mind that I wasn't sleeping well. My doctor ordered an overnight blood oxygen test at home because of COPD. From that, they discovered the possibility of a sleep disorder. Next was an at home overnight sleep study where it was confirmed that I wasn't breathing several times an hour. Next was the overnight hospital sleep study, and at the same time a test to see if CPAP would help me. The results said that it would. 

The sleep study is done one on one with a sleep technician and as such, it's considered a rather expensive procedure. I think that's why it came down to using the previous data to justify the overnight sleep test. And the test proved that I would benefit from CPAP therapy, meaning that insurance would then cover it.

It's been an interesting and in the end rewarding experience. I don't know for sure if it's because of the therapy, but in the mornings my oxygen level has been much better then it was before the treatment. I would think that having a breathing disorder like COPD would justify the tests for anyone. 

Part of the problem, I think is that the doctors don't have much of a working knowledge of sleep apnea, other than knowing that it exists and what it can do if left untreated. Hopefully your current doctor works for you and not the insurance companies and will order the test!

Chuck

0 Kudos
shashort

@Thomas3.20.2010  Are you going through your family doctor for the sleep apnea test?  My pulmonologist referred me for the study. Or is the pulmonologist the new dr you are talking about.  

0 Kudos