cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

cheri

COPD

I am so glad to see a COPD group the only other person I know close to me with COPD is my mother and she was told this last year and this is all new for her, she never smoked but her Mother and Brother did and My Dad before they devoriced after 20 years. I have had COPD for about 5 years not have had 1 hospital stay for pneumona and COPD excerbation a few years back. My husband and I quick smoking on 11/23/2008 12:00 am that morning. 1st try for him and 3rd for me.
  Thanks for the group sure needed it
  Happy Thanksgining to all
  Cheri
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
261 Replies
spunkie

Kellie thanks so much for all your support I DIDN'T RELAPSE because of you and the rest of my friends I called and you all were with me and the moster ran like crazy .... Today I have no cravings and know I will never take another puff.
  I know you understand all the problems with meds and I will be calling on you for your help new ins effective Oct 1
0 Kudos
kellie3

Hi everyone, With the weather changing I can really feel it. My lungs actually feel "stiff" kinda. I have halted my walking outside and moved inside for the winter. If we get some good sunny days I'll go out occasionally, I'll have to play it by ear. I did join Curves today. I am looking forward to having somewhere to go to excercise with just women.
0 Kudos
webslave

Yall do well...the wife n I have the flu...the COPD has gotten quite bad. Thank God for the inhalers.
  And, grateful I have a great upright fan and the bedroom AC.
  Best to everyone !
0 Kudos
kellie3

Hi everyone. I haven't been around much so maybe it's just that I am imagining things.
  Does it seem to anyone else like there is an awful lot of Cancer and illness happening lately?
  Or, is it because this is a "smoking" site and this is what happens when a bunch of life long smokers get together?
0 Kudos
kellie3

I didn't mean that to sound inconsiderate or harsh. It's just that I have been struggling lately to accept all that is going on with me, then I come here and see so many other people dealing with mostly the same issues.
  It's like pregnancy being contagious in high schools.

Gawd I sound cruel and uncaring, and that's really not the case. It's just that I am getting so tired of being tired. So sick of being sick. That I want to run screaming sometimes. Maybe I should find a new website about dolls or flowers. LOL
0 Kudos
spunkie

Well Kellie I think there is much more Cancer and illness in the world than we want to look at and when we come to this site we see a bigger part of it because we have not taken care of ourselves and some of us have just drawn the short straw .. The comment about the web site reminded me of the first day I walked into the Childrens Oncolgy center at JHU when my son was 15 and dealing with cancer I though where did this complete new world come from after all we must have just drawn a short straw when my son got cancer then I come here and there are several floors of children fighting the terrible illness .. now when you went to other areas in the hosp that world wasn't there except for the people who worked there or drew the short straw .. that is when I did start to look at my life as the glass half full not half empty and I think that is the only way I made it thru ... So what I am saying you came to this site and I am sure you are right if you go to a website about dolls or flowers COPD, CANCER, ETC
  will not be subjects there and that is why we are here to support each other in giving up the nico demon and for us that has the short straw friends will see us through. Many (((( HUGS )))) Hope I got this worded right. God Bless
  SMOKE FREE AND LOVING IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
katheen

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THE LUNGS GET ANY BETTER WHEN YOU QUIT SMOKING. WE HAVE A SET DATE FOR OCT. 15TH AND I WAS JUST WONDERING ABOUT THAT PART IF ANYONE KNOW ABOUT IT HERE. I HAVE THE COPD IS MODERET TO SERVER AND I KNOW THAT I'M SUPPOSE TO USE MY NEBLIZER THREE TO FOUR TIMES A DAY AND SEVERAL INHALERS TO SAY THE LEAST BUT I HAVEN'T BEEN DOING TO GOOD AT DOING THEM LATELY AND I CANNOT SAY WHY I JUST BEEN FORGETTING ABOUT IT UNTIL IT GETS REALLY BAD AND THEN I USE THE NEBLIZER AND FORGET ABOUT THE OTHERS. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL MAY BE I CAN POST IT NOTES TO MYSELF TO REMIND ME OF IT OR SOMETHING ELSE.

KATHLEEN & DANNY
0 Kudos
spunkie

Kathleen you should take your meds as your doctor tells you to this is why you are not feeling well most likely. I know about the nebulizer treatments 4xd I like you forget to do them if I am breathing well so I understand but we should try to do them regular that way we stay well ...NOW for your question does you lungs get better YES you will notice a difference in your breathing in no longer than 3 days and COPD will not go away but it will not get worse you keep smoking and it will continue to get worse.. (((( HUGS )))) so proud you are getting ready to quit on the 15 th ... SMOKE FREE AND LOVING IT
0 Kudos
katheen

THANK YOU SPUNKIE, I DO APPREAHAT YOUR CONCERNS ABOUT ME TAKING MY MEDS. AND YES RIGHT NOW I'M USING MY NEBULIZER THIS MAKES IT TWICE TODAY AND THAT IS AN INPROVEMENT FOR ME. JUST WANTED TO ALSO TELL YOU THANKS FOR THE INFO. ON QUITING AND MY LUNGS IT DOES MATTER ALLOT TO ME. DANNY IS DOING OUR DISHES UP HE IS JUST A SWEETHART BECAUSE HE KNOS THAT I HAVEN'T BEEN FELLING WELL SO HE IS WASHIN THE DISHES FOR ME. HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION WHAT ABOUT DANNY'S SISTER SHE IS A SMOKER AND IT'S NOT MY PLACE TOTELL HER NOT TO SMOKE AROUND ME SO HOW DO I HANDLE THAT ONE.

LOVE YOU KATHLEEN & DANNY
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Well, Kathleen, if it's your house then you certainly have the right to tell her to not smoke around you. If you're talking about going to her house your quit depends on staying away from smoking friends and relatives for the first few weeks, unless you're a super strong person with will power up the ying yang. I never would have made it unless I just stayed away from smokers for the first couple of weeks. It's been over a year now and I still can't be around smokers because it makes my COPD much worse and gives me sinus infections that last several days...sometimes even a week, so it's sure not worth it to me to be anywhere near a smoker. Believe me, they know not to smoke near me. If people can't respect what you're trying to do, then just stay away from them.
0 Kudos