cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

cheri

COPD

I am so glad to see a COPD group the only other person I know close to me with COPD is my mother and she was told this last year and this is all new for her, she never smoked but her Mother and Brother did and My Dad before they devoriced after 20 years. I have had COPD for about 5 years not have had 1 hospital stay for pneumona and COPD excerbation a few years back. My husband and I quick smoking on 11/23/2008 12:00 am that morning. 1st try for him and 3rd for me.
  Thanks for the group sure needed it
  Happy Thanksgining to all
  Cheri
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
261 Replies

I caught a clip of Lance Armstrong on TV yesterday where someone asked him what he does to push through that point in exercise where you don't think you can do ANYMORE!  His response - "I think about all the people who would be happy to be ABLE to get here and then I keep on going!"  GOOD ADVICE!  Next best thing for COPDers after the QUIT is Exercise 30 minutes non - stop each and every day!

0 Kudos
marie51

i'D LIKE TO JOIN THIS GROUP BECAUSE I HAVE COPD AND MANY HEALTH ISSUES.   COPD TAKES YOUR LIFE AWAY IN A VERY SHORT TIME, I USE TO LOVE TO FISH AND WE WENT TO CANANDA SEVERAL TIMES AND I MISS DOING THAT AND I MISS MY GARDEN IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL THING TO SEE..  I HAVE A RASCAL CHAIR NOW BECAUSE IT'S SO HARD FOR ME TO WALK , I'VE LOST ALL MY WEIGHT AND MUSSLE I WAS DOWN TO 80 POUNDS SINCE I STARTED QUITING I'VE GAINED 8 POUNDS BUT NOT THE MUSCLE YET.  NEXT FRIDAY I GO TO HEART SPCAILIST BECAUSE OF A HOLE ON MY HEART,  SO I'M JUST WAITING TO SEE WHAT IS NEXT.  i'M GLAD THIS GROUP IS HERE BECAUSE WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER.

IF I DO HOUSE WORK IT INCLUDES SEVERAL BREAKS AND IF I DO DISHES I SET ON A STOOL, DISHES ARE HEAVY.  TO BE HONEST I DO LESS AND LESS AS TIME GOES BY, I HAVE A FRIEND THAT  COMES ONCE A WEEK TO CLEAN FOR US, I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'D DO WITHOUT HER, SHE'S A DEAR AND I LOVE HER AND HER FAMILY.

MY AUNT THAT I MENTIONED ONCE HAS STOPPED SMOKING WITH ME BLESS HER HEART, SHE HAS  COPD AND HEART PROBLEMS BUT SHE DOESN'T DO THE COMPUTER, SHE SHE'S PRETTY MUCH ON HER OWN BLESS HER HEART.  I SHARE WHAT I HAVE I GET BOOKLETS FROM OUT INSURANCE CO., IT SCARES ME THAT THEY HAVE GOTTEN ENVOLVED BECAUSE INSURANCE CO. CAN DROP YOU LIKE A HOT POTATOE, MAYBE I'LL MENTION THAT WHEN SHE CALLS AGAIN.  THEY DID PAY FOR MY $3,OOO.OO RASCAL WHICH WAS NICEBUT IT STILL WORRIES ME, MY MEDS ARE MORE THAN I GET A MONTH ON SS, BUT I HAVE A HUSBAND TO TAKE CARE OF THINGS THAT I COULDN'T AND TODAY I'M GRATEFUL FOR THAT AND HIM.  GOD BLESS MARIE

0 Kudos

WELCOME Marie!!!!!!!!!!!

"I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love."

- Mother Teresa

We're here to care for and about each other!

0 Kudos

Hi Folks!  I just wanted to CELEBRATE something that only YOU GUYS will appreciate!  I've managed to GAIN 10 lbs.!!!!  I still have a long way to go but it's a GREAT start and I'm Totally Psyched!  I want to be well within normal BMI so that if I get a URI I might lose weight but at least I have the weight to lose- does that make sense?  BTW  One thing that helps is a milkshake with Carnation Instant Breakfast and 1 Tb of Canola oil blended in!  It really does work if you're underweight!  

0 Kudos
lenore3

That is great news Thomas!!!  It has been hard for me to gain weight also but eating instead of smoking has helped allot!

Welcome Marie!!!  Thank you for sharing what you have been coping with and know that you are not alone in your struggle.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  I have been afraid that the insurance company will drop us when time to renew comes around, was hoping that the insurance reform that would prevent that would go into effect before then.  I am relying on the Lord to take care of us in that regard...He does take care of us.  Anyway, I am glad you joined the group and look forward to talking with you.  God bless you!

0 Kudos

Boy, I wish I had your guys problem with the weight.  I'm the complete opposite.  I gained about 60 pounds when I quit smoking and am having a heck of a time getting it back off.  I was about 20 pounds overweight then, so I have quite a bit of weight to lose.

I don't know about all of you, but it has been very hot here.  And humid too.  I have one heck of a time breathing when it's like this.  I'm not on oxygen yet, but sometimes I wish I were.  Yesterday, I was choking on some food so bad, I had to run outside and purposely throw it up.  It cut off all of my air.  Scared the living daylights out of me.

Hope you all are doing well.  Barb

0 Kudos

I'm praying for Patrick ! Hope he gets well soon!  Patrick, Take Care!  We need you!  Best Wishes for a speedy recovery!

0 Kudos

Launching the COPD Shuttle

American Thoracic Society International Conference attendees will be able to witness the devastating effects of smoking and other pollutants on lung tissue in the COPD Foundation's COPD Shuttle: Journey to the Center of the Lung simulator, during the event in New Orleans, Louisiana, May 14th through the 19th.

Using a state-of-the-art mobile motion-simulator capsule mounted on a custom-built tractor/trailer, attendees will embark on a microscopic journey into the human body to learn about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). The 20-seat motion simulator capsule combines high-definition imagery and surround-sound audio with precise, computer-driven motion control.

Each presentation lasts about five minutes, and after the ride attendees will be asked to take an exit survey. They also will have access to all of the COPD Foundation's resources, which include educational literature and information on the organization's programs.

Following the launch at the ATS conference, the Shuttle will stop at the NBC Health and Fitness Expo in Raleigh, NC and other locations. To see if the simulator will be in your town, visit the COPD Foundation’s calendar.

I got this from the COPD Foundation newsletter that I get.  It didn't look like it was coming to my town, but maybe it will be coming to a town near you.

0 Kudos

I just wanted to write a quick note about relapse.  Because that is something I almost did last week.  I've got almost 25 months into my quit now.  That's just over 2 years.  Did I think back when I quit that I would have to keep working it this far along?  He_ _ no!  But life doesn't stop just because we stop smoking.  Stress doesn't stop just because we get comfortable in our quits.  We have to always watch out for those little bumps in the road that could catch us off guard and throw us off the right path.  Luckily for me, my breathing is number one priority for me and I chose breath over death.  I remembered that smoking will never ever fix or cure a problem that comes along for me in life, and in fact will only magnify it. 

Hope you are all doing well with your quits and your breathing.  This hot and humid weather sucks!  Give me upper 60's low 70's and no humidity any day.

0 Kudos

"You will never be the person you can be if pressure, tension, and discipline are taken out of your life." - James G. Bilkey

You said it so well when you said "I chose breath over death!" Thank You for sharing with us your battle! I'm glad that you were VICTORIOUS!  CONGRATULATIONS!

0 Kudos