cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

COPD exacerbations

If you are the one out of every 5 people in our Community who has COPD but doesn't even know it this article is for you1 But if you don't know then how can you know? That's why I keep saying - if you smoked more than 100 Sickerettes in your lifetime then get a Spirometry Test from your primary Dr. It's easy. It's cheap. It's accurate.

http://www.healio.com/pulmonology/copd/news/online/%7B63828abb-c612-43fa-92db-4f45886a8e90%7D/copd-e...

Do you have a smokers' cough?

Do you get short of breath sometimes?

Do you feel a tightness in your chest?

Do you constantly have cold-like symptoms?

Do you think you always have allergies?

It's better to know than to not know! Get the test!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
bonniebee

I can answer yes to all of those questions but  why is it important to know if it is early in the disease and I have quit smoking ? I hate to take meds I would rather fight things naturally. What do you think ? I don't trust the pharma companies !

0 Kudos

All the more reason to know early if you have COPD, Bonnie! There are so many management tools for early COPD that are not pharmaceuticals. including exercise, nutrition, breathing techniques, natural remedies,and more. Plus it's really important too get vaccinations so you don't get exacerbations which will lead to progression of the disease. Once lung capacity is lost - it is lost forever! 

With moderate or severe COPD you may be put into situations you like even less than just taking medicine! Hospitalizations can become economically devastating and interventions can include emergency surgeries, intubation and more. At an emergency point there aren't a whole lot of options. 

The sooner you understand what COPD is the more options you have for treatment and management!

Number One is Quit Smoking! None of the rest will do a lick of good if we continue to smoke!

0 Kudos
elvan

It's good to know what you are dealing with, Bonnie.  It's scary but it's good to know.  Even if you don't trust big pharma, you absolutely should get immunizations and you should know what things you can do to protect yourself.  

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Flu shot yearly and pneumonia shot once every 5 years is a must for me. Somehow during this last Dr, visit I got off nighttime oxygen. YAY, but I am not supposed to get sick this winter and I have a compromised immune system. Please protect yourself now! The deep breathing exercises are a must for me too. I praise God for all of these good things but the fact is that my lungs are very scarred and I am on the high side of moderate COPD. I may have to discontinue AA meetings that I am the secretary of if the bus can't take me and bring me home. So do what you need to do to stay healthy. Nobody wants to spend the winter in isolation just so they don't get a flare up! Plus, that will also, take the depression up a couple notches. I am a huge worry wort, so I definitely have myself all puffed up about all of this! I think I need to move to a warmer climate without a lot of humidity! haha

Don't Quit on your Quit!

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Scary indeed!

0 Kudos
bonniebee

Thanks thomas for the info !

0 Kudos