cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

COPD: Get Moving!

A recent observational study found that, regardless of disease severity, more than half of patients experienced COPD symptoms throughout the whole 24-hour day, and nearly 80% of patients reported experiencing symptoms during at least two parts of the day. The presence of symptoms is associated with worse health status, depression, anxiety, and poor sleep quality. Preserving or improving physical activity may have far-reaching benefits for hospitalization and mortality rates.

The well-defined symptoms commonly reported by patients with COPD include cough, sputum production, wheeze, and breathlessness. However, the impact of symptoms on an individual patient’s daily living activities varies depending on a number of factors, for example, their disease severity and comorbidities. The incidence and severity of symptoms also have a varying impact on a patient’s quality of life at different times of the day, with early morning and nighttime symptoms having a particularly detrimental influence on health status. The impact of COPD symptoms on a patient’s quality of life is often underestimated; for instance, 36% of patients who describe their symptoms as being mild-to-moderate also admit to being too breathless to leave the house.

Studies have shown that physical activity declines with advancing COPD, as patients with moderate-to-severe disease had lower activity levels than healthy controls. The most inactive patients were those on oxygen therapy. Activity levels start to decline early in disease progression; by the time patients reach moderate levels of airflow limitation (GOLD stage II), they are already starting to become inactive. The decline in physical activity in COPD sufferers may correlate with a range of factors, including airflow obstruction, dynamic lung hyperinflation, cardiac dysfunction, muscle deconditioning and quadriceps strength, and systemic inflammation.

The systemic consequences of COPD, such as muscle weakness and osteoporosis, commonly arise in inactive patients. Additionally, data suggest that patients with COPD who have low levels of physical activity are more likely to be admitted to hospital. Preserved levels of physical activity are related to a better prognosis in COPD. In two separate studies, patients with COPD who had different activity levels were followed for 3 years and 5–8 years. The probability of survival was significantly improved in those patients who were more active, even after correcting for lung function and exercise capacity. One of the studies concluded that the objective measurement of physical activity is the strongest predictor of all-cause mortality in patients.

Improving physical activity: an integrated approach

As in appropriately dosing medication, it is important that the level and timing of physical activity is guided by an overall rehabilitation strategy for the patient. Pulmonary rehabilitation therefore aims to improve the physical and psychological health of patients with chronic respiratory disease, and includes a focus on improving physical activity levels. Pulmonary rehabilitation techniques can include exercise training (under direct supervision or at home), behavior modification, and education of the patient about COPD.

Many patients with COPD find that their symptoms are at their worst in the early morning and at night. Symptoms such as coughing, general fatigue, and tiredness are commonly experienced in the morning, with 50% of patients with severe COPD experiencing these immediately upon waking on all or most days. Furthermore, 37% of all patients with COPD were woken up by their symptoms on at least 3 days per week. At night, patients experiencing symptoms such as fatigue, tiredness, and back pain stated their symptoms were worse than normal. To help alleviate early morning and nighttime symptoms, patients must ensure that they take their medication at the optimum time and physicians must advise patients on the most suitable time to take their medication. Bronchodilator therapy is known to improve exercise tolerance and exertional dyspnea in patients with COPD, but may also improve physical activity, as has recently been demonstrated for the LAMA aclidinium and for the LABA indacaterol.

[Based on the proceedings of a session at the 1st World Lung Disease Summit held in Lisbon on November 15–17, 2013, which brought together experts in the field of COPD.]

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I credit my successful surgeries with the swimming laps I did over the years.  I know they helped with my general health.  I vowed that I would quit smoking if it ever interfered with my swimming - but the difference in ability was so incidious that I never noticed any difference.

My breathing and endurance have improved since I quit, and I am very happy to be able to do the laps again!

Nancy

0 Kudos
elvan

I am about to get moving, Thomas, going to run some errands and then do some exercise.  Thanks for this...I am curious about the link between COPD and back pain, I had not heard that before.  I have degenerative disc disease and a scoliosis that curves and rotates my spine.  My back pain has been horrible the past week or so...I blamed it on that, what would be the link to COPD?

0 Kudos

2Ellen

Overinflated lungs weigh heavy and push against the spine and rib cage during sleep. The best management is to sleep at a 45 degree angle and to strengthen your core muscles as much as possible.I hope you feel better!

0 Kudos
Strudel

Great advice and information Thomas! 

0 Kudos
HealthyOrange

Thanks as always, Thomas for the great blog.  I've missed my walking the last couple of months due to cold, frigid weather and snow, but your blog reminds me to get back moving because it is so goiod for us on so many levels.  Wishing you well, Thomas.  I hope you are still enjoying that beuatiful grand baby of yours!  xoxo Jamie

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Hi Thomas.  @ Healthy orange,  Bundle up and walk in the cold.  I have only missed one day all winter.  You can do it.

0 Kudos