cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

COPD Does NOT Discriminate!

COPD doesn't care if you're famous or common, a closet smoker or a chain smoker, if you're important or not (And we're ALL important to somebody!) 12 Million people have COPD right now and don't even know it! Doctors miss the chance to diagnose COPD 85% of the time! Ask your Doctor for a Spirometry Test if you have smoked more than 100 sickerettes in your lifetime!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2570643/EXCLUSIVE-Shirley-Temple-long-time-secret-smoker-die...

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
candylance

No, COPD does NOT discriminate. I was diagnosed in 2010 and it's taken this many tries to quit in 2013. I am doing so much better and only on oxygen at night VS. 24/7. Please, all of you newbies out there and not so newbies, ask for a spirometry test. COPD is a silent killer and you won't regret it.

Candy     d175

0 Kudos
candylance

The comments on Shirley Temple Black's death show just how ignorant people are!! Made me sick!!

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

After coming to this site, quitting, listening to all the information....I asked my dr for a spirometry test and found out that (for now) I do NOT have COPD.     Grateful that I heard about this and was brave enough to ask for the test.

If you haven't had it.....follow Thomas' advice and make appointment with your dr for one.   Hopefully you will get good news like I did OR you will get an early diagnosis so that it won't progress.

Thanks Thomas!

Sharon

0 Kudos
cheyenne7

Had this done last Spring...all was good at that time...

Do you have an opinion on how often a smoker/ex-smoker should repeat this?

0 Kudos

She would have made an exceptional spokeswoman for the C.O.P.D. campaign had she chosen to disclose her condition & share her struggles.  I am once again absolutely appalled at the news sources getting access to her death certificate & publishing her personal information when it is clear she & her family did not want it to be known.  RIP Shirley Temple Black  Patty d609

0 Kudos