cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Anxiety or Emphysema

So, it's been since Nov. 11th since I first decided to quit. I was experiencing some chest pain and went to the ER. They said there was some notable changes to my lungs so I decided to quit cold turkey. went about 6 days using nicotine pouches. slipped up smoked a few and then threw a pack i just bought out the window of my car leaving work. The last 3 days however, I cannot hardly catch my breath at all, especially when lying down. I went back to the ER tonight and they xrayed me and told me to follow up with pulmonary physician to check for COPD. on my discharge paper however they diagnosed me with Emphysema and General Anxiety Disorder. I feel short of breath, have been using the box breathing method and belly breathing to get a deep breath but I just can't sleep. I don't know whether that's the anxiety of emphysema however. I have been an anxious mess and albuteral can increase the anxiety symptoms. I'm going to make an appointment in a few days with a local lung specalist. Im just worried sick and can't sleep. Did anyone else have a hard time catching their breath after quitting smoking cold turkey?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Cash1963

I haven't had a breathing problem but I am worried about you. I have had the heart 'butterflies' which can be scary. I breathe my way through them because panicking will make it worse. I understand your being scared with your diagnoses. Please try and relax your body until you are able to talk to a doctor about a plan going forward. You are still doing the best thing be it COPD, emphysema, etc. Please hang onto the will to not smoke. 

I was diagnosed with copd back in November. My daughter is blackmailing me into quitting.  Wasn't my decision. But here I am 2 days in. I'm trying to quit to make her proud of me.i can only do this one day at a time. I have the tight chest and anxiety. I'm using nrt's but I still have a low grade urge for a smoke.

0 Kudos
NINERS49

I quit cold Turkey back in October after 30 years and spent 12 weeks off work. I was a mess; wasn’t eating in the beginning, wasn’t sleeping, racy heart, tight chest, tingly feeling in my feet and legs , hypertension, jello feeling legs, etc. i had a cardio work up and it was all good. 
basically i put my body in shock when i quit. Took me a while to begin to feel normal again. Most of my symptoms subsided. Come to find out, it was all panic and anxiety. I kept going to ER also and nothing was wrong. I am on lexapro now which has really helped and taking a low dose of hypertension meds. I do the box breathing as well. 
It’s  going to take a while for your body to begin to repair itself. I’m 4 months in and although I’m feeling a lot better, I’m still getting some chest tightness occasionally.

hang in there, it WILL GET BETTER! 

0 Kudos

My quit date is May 31, 2022, so it's terrifyingly close. I too have emphysema as well as Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and I am very nervous about quitting almost completely cold turkey--I have been cutting back gradually for at least a month now, but it seems that the closer my quit day looms, the more I have the urge to smoke, despite Nicorette gum and occasional use of the patch.*

*The patch tends to irritate my red-head skin, or I would use it more. I also can't use it overnight, because I've had nightmares and poor sleep, and sleep is essential for me, because I am also Bipolar I and, despite a wonderful meds "cocktail," I could become manic if I don't get good sleep at night. Sigh...

Anyway, because of the emphysema and the upcoming quit date, I am very compassionate to your post and appreciative of the "heads up" about the symptoms you've experienced. I don't have any good advice except to say that I empathize with your struggles, and I'd consult a medical doctor. Perhaps an inhaler would help with the shortness of breath? I know I have been prescribed an inhaler (an Rx I haven't yet filled), so I'll be sure to have that "at the ready" on May 31.

Good luck and kudos to you for having successfully quit!

Nancy J Golden
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@NancyJaneGolden Welcome again.  I just responded to another post of yours.  You can learn lots from reading old posts, but I don't want you to go unanswered if the person isn't active here still.  

@NINERS49 is still here.  

It's not recommended to use NRT while your still smoking (if I understood you correctly).  Having vivid dreams is a common side effect from weary the patch at night so many don't wear it then.

Glad you reading posts and responding. It's a great way to give and receive support.

Barb

0 Kudos

• If I do smoke I do not use simultaneously with the gum. I’ve pretty much stopped using the patch bc of skin probs.
  • But, I’m interested in what you have to say about not using NRT while still smoking bc the RN I am working with by phone at University of Cincinnati’s smoking cessation program, *directly* contradicted that advice. So I’m puzzled. I’ll ask her about it next phone call, but she was adamant that cutting back (way back for me) and using both the patch AND gum was absolutely fine.
  • Can you tell me more about why it’s not recommended? Let me be clear; I am not wearing the patch or chewing the gum while smoking too. Curious in Cincy, NJG
  •  
Nancy J Golden
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@NancyJaneGolden   Everything I've read didn't recommend it, but you need to work with your health care provider for direction.   Please research--this is just some I've read over the years.

Nicotine Replacement Therapy to Help You Quit Tobacco.

What You Need to Know About Nicotine Gum - Smoking Cessation Center - EverydayHealth.com

Trying to Quit Smoking? Here’s What You Should Know about the Nicotine Patch | URMC Newsroom

Barb

0 Kudos
Braided

@CthulhuDreamer @This may be way to late to be helpful, but when I quit cold turkey many years ago, three days later I ended up in the hospital with my first ever asthma attack.  Scariest thing ever!  Got told I had adult onset asthma and that often, after long term, heavy smokers quit, the lungs are so startled by the withdrawal of all the tars & nicotine they start to revolt.  They release all the deeply embedded phlegm, clog up the Scillia (?), and just make breathing difficult.  That scares you so much the first time it happens you are apt to panic.  I WAS getting oxygen, I just FELT like I wasn’t breathing.  It doesn’t help that it happens at 2:00am and you’re alone.  Sorry to the 911 first responders!  For better or worse, over time you get used to the asthma attack and have the proper meds to get you through it without calling for help.  
     Hope you’re doing well and thanks for sharing your concerns. 

0 Kudos