cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

What made this nest?????

So tonight I walked out the front door to go throw apples out to the edge of the woods for the deer. We have a little sidewalk across from the front door that I have a long mulched flower bed against it. I did not see this nest yesterday, so it is new. I see not a thing flying around it. It is raised about 1 and half inches from the ground width of it is about 3-4 inches. The hole is centered and about an inch wide or slightly less perhaps? In all the years at the farm, I have never seen a nest like this and I have seen many yellow jacket nest in the ground in the pastures...but this?????? It almost resembles puppy chow with a hole in the center...and no, my dog was not in that area.,..or any other dog. HELP!

Would a hummingbird do that?

Meanwhile I am going to be watching it with binoculars in the morning to see what the heck made it.

IMG_0268.jpg

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
92 Replies
Legend

Giulia  Thank you very much for the information I did not know ammonia could be used for stings I will for sure get a bottle to keep around for the next time anyone gets stung.  I did not know that about mud either I just learned something from you.  We usually use sting kill for stings I get this off of amazon or vinegar and baking soda mixed.

Ammonia should be good for scorpion stings also sometimes one gets in our house and it lets one of us have it. One night I woke up with a medium scorpion stinging the crap out of the back of my upper leg and I could not stand for anything to touch the back of my leg for 2 ½ days he got me good when I was sleeping.  When I am awake and get stung by a scorpion as soon as I feel the prick I know what it is and can get it off of me before it does a lot of damage with the venom but when you are sleeping you don’t know until they have done a lot of damage with their venom and you are jumping out of bed trying to smack the crap out of it.  

I just learned something new about wasps also watching this video. We have lots of wasps at our place we keep knocking down the nests when we see them they like to get around my car under the carport and buzz around me I guess they are warning me to scram to get away from their nest so I send my son out to take care of the problem.  

Giulia

Scorpion stings.....ooooooh, can't imagine what those feel like.  I imaging they're a lot more painful than your ordinary wasp/yellow jacket sting.  And while you're sleeping no less.  Gee.  Nasty!

Barbscloud

Moles do leave dirt around the hole. 

Mandolinrain

Yes...they do for sure !

0 Kudos

I'd put some BEEf broth in the hole and see if they go for it.

jonimarie

Great blog you stated here M!

All the buzz is unbeelievable

Legend

Check out this guy he uses a drone to take out a hornet nest.

Man Uses Drone to Destroy Hornets Nest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIDGRmj75WM

Mandolinrain

Legend‌, Wow thats some video!

Well not a thing came in or out of that hole that I could see, so I slapped a huge rock over and went to work today. I took the rock off when I got home and it was just smooched. Covered it up with dirt/mulch and it looks like whatever it was has vacated or whatever. I will look again in morning. I am also allergic to bees and have Epic-Pens everywhere, so I am very careful.  Maybe I need to buy a drone ? And yes moles pile dirt, have seen that before when we had them in the yard at last house.....several mounds, but none that looked like this. So am still not certain what it was. I do feel bad if it was a solitary pollinator bee, but geese, they can make their home all over our land, just not where I work in my flower beds

Legend

Mandolinrain   Maybe whatever it is comes out at night.

I sure hope you don’t get attacked by whatever is in that hole at least you got an Epic-Pen with you if something with venom gets you.

Mandolinrain

If I show this to hubby he will bee buying a drone for future cause, lol.