cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jenking

Weekend Dirt Therapy

I am so excited to be able to get my vegetable garden going this weekend since the weather is finally warming up here in NW Ohio. I am on Day 5 of my quit journey so I am treating myself to a few extras too (wink wink). It doesn't seem like much activity here, but if anyone wants to join and we can share tips and tricks. I will check this journal area along with my regular spot where I vent haha!

11 Replies
biscuit9

My husband has a garden twice a year.  He has planted a few weeks ago.  I live in TX, but we haven't had our normal sunshine and until recently the nights have still been fairly chilly, but the garden is growing.  I will do my best, because of this thread, to put up some photos, in the next few days.  We have maters, yellow squash, okra, bell pepper, garlic, green onion.  The zinnias are in full bloom.  

jenking

Good morning! I didn't get to my gardening this weekend. I was sad, but I am starting to realize that unfortunately my wants and needs are always put last. Oh well, it is the life I got myself into. I would love to see pictures of your garden! I LOVE zinnias, but don't know much about them. It seems like they bloom and are done. Is that true?? 

Barbscloud

@jenking Sorry you didn't get to do your gardening.   It is therapeutic, especially when you've just quit smoking.  I  planted a few Hibiscus, but most of my work was maintenance - lawn cutting, weed whacking, and peat moss.

I can understand feeling wants and needs being put last.  I spent many years taking care of family members with little help.

Hang in there.   

Barb

biscuit9

I know about zinnias because my dad grew them when I was growing up.  They can stand the Texas heat.  You don't have to plant them every year, they do sprout back up.  We even save the seeds for replanting of certain colors. They are a stout flower, not needy like roses, and we plant them around the veggie garden.  

0 Kudos
jenking

@Barbscloud It is so much cheaper then a therapist 🙂 What area do you live in? I love hibiscus, but I am not sure if they would survive the winters in NW Ohio. I did do a little weeding 🙂 It looks nice. 

0 Kudos
tnilson
Community Manager
Community Manager

I love gardening @jenking ! My family planted strawberries this weekend. What kinds of veggies are you going to grow? 

Todd
Barbscloud

@jenking I bought them from QVC. There supposed to withstand cold temps.  We'll see.

I'm in Southwestern PA so I suspect our weather is similar?

https://www.qvc.com/Cottage-Farms-3-piece-Turning-Heads-Hardy-Hibiscus-Bareroot-Trio.product.M91297....

Barb

jenking

@tnilson YUM! I love strawberry jelly! Strawberry pie! And strawberry shortcake! But I won't buy them from a store, I wait until they are available to pick locally. I should look into a crop of them, but I'm not sure how many plants I would need to be worth it. I usually plant tomatoes, jalapenos, cucumbers, are all must haves. This year I am trying potatoes and okra! I haven't bought my stuff yet because someone close to me is being a butthead, but that's another story haha. I hope your strawberries do well!!!

Barbscloud

@jenking Just got back from the nursery.  There will be a couple of more trips.   I was a little apprehensive to buy flowers this year with the weather being so unpredictable lately. We've been in the 30's recently.  I'm going to go out and do some planting now!

Barb