cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

Any Gardeners out there?

Unknown-1.jpegSpring arrives in 19 days!!!!!!!

This is a nice group I would like to see take off. Its a magical thing to dig in the dirt and watch seeds develop into a thing of beauty. Just trying to stir some interest for this group. 

I am starting / rooting things inside now. A tad early yes, but some of the things I root stay inside to cut from for recipes.

Gardening is fun .....vegetables, flowers, trees...etc.... also a good 'finger busy' activity when your quitting smoking.

If your new at it start with rooting, so easy and fun for kids/grandkids to watch. If you go to the group called GARDENING LOVERS, you can see my last post /blog with some things I started 4 days ago and then a pic of them today!  Happy Almost Spring Everyone!

Missy

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
84 Replies
karenjones

Hey,  i'm a gardener.  i do it for a living, so maybe you just want non-professionals. That is ok too.  it has happened before.

Giulia

Why would we turn down a pro.  We are knowledge seekers here!  

Missy, my lettuce is making up for yours...

IMG_7864.JPG

karenjones

Thanks, so much, I am kind of used to hearing that I don't belong.  this is where I studied gardening for 3 years. It was tough going from a small city in Canada to London and probably one of the most difficult times in my life. Wish I could go back and re-do it sometimes, but the past is gone.  I love gardening and it is such a healthy thing to do. Kew | Welcome 

Giulia

Did you work at Kew Gardens?????   You better watch out Karen.  You're liable to constantly be bombarded by questions once we start putting things in the ground and the voracious eating creatures start munching, and the white flies and powdery mildew and how do I amend my acidic soil and, how much shad or sun can this plant tolerate.... etc., etc.

Lost and Found Fungi Project, sounds like something right up my alley.  We have our own Phallic Fungi Project right here!  lol

7397 Edit3.jpg 

Then we got the Elephant Toe Project

IMG_2816.JPG

The Maltese Cross

IMG_2823.JPG

Bird of Paradise

IMG_2419.JPG

Icing

IMG_2211.JPG

Mushroom Tree

IMG_6337.JPG

M'lady

IMG_2503 crop.jpg

Now, if we could only grow the ones that we could eat!

THOSE ARE GORGEOUS

I heard all you need is a little shed with a warmed planting bed and some chicken****

BUT YOU DIDN'T HEAR IT FROM ME.

https://grocycle.com/how-to-set-up-a-low-tech-mushroom-farm/ 

Kimshine

Those are really cool looking mushrooms.

Giulia, do you look for Morel mushrooms in TN?

My people are from Pineville Ky and I grew up knowing them as "Hickory Chickens".

They are delicious!

Giulia

No, I've never mushroom hunted - well except for picture taking purposes.  Very dangerous is my understanding.  I would love to find someone who really knows the ins and outs of the edible ones.

0 Kudos
Kimshine

Yes, you have to be very careful hunting mushrooms! There are many "lookalikes" that could cause serious illness or death. The elders in my family used to take us kids hunting them but I have never gone alone because I don't trust myself. I just love the Morels they are like eating a piece of chicken or fish. They are very pricey in the store. I would like to get to the point of knowing the ins and outs of the edibles also but most of those folks that used to take me are not around anymore.

0 Kudos
IrishRose

I learned in a biology lecture that the mushrooms without the little turtlenecks are edible.  The ones with turtlenecks are poisonous.

Here is an example of quickly identifying them...

This one is poisonous - see the collar near the top...

poisonous.png

These are the ones that you can eat...

edible.jpg

Oh, one other thing.  Stay away from mushrooms with any red coloring to them. 

Irish Rose