cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SuzyQ411

TRIVIA FOR THE WEEK OF 03.14.2023

trivia image.jpg

WELCOME TO THE NEWEST GAME OF TRIVIA

( This game runs until midnight eastern on 03.20.2023)

WHO COINED THE TERM HORSEPOWER?

1. Henry Ford

2. James Watt

3. Karl Benz

4. Rudolph Diesel

Thanks to Trivia Scoop for this question.

Enjoy the game!!

Answer to last week's question: James Madison

James Madison, the Father of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, was President of the United States during the War of 1812. Great Britain's seizure of American cargo and sailors drove Madison to side with the War Hawks, so he asked Congress for a declaration of war on June 1, 1812. In September 1814, Madison and the government fled Washington in the face of an enemy invasion, and British soldiers burned public buildings, including the White House (then known as the Executive Residence) and the Capitol.

Source: Tennessee State Library and Archives

dolly madison.jpg

Dolley Todd Madison was the wife of James Madison, the fourth president of the United States from 1809 to 1817. She was noted for holding Washington social functions in which she invited members of both political parties, essentially spearheading the concept of bipartisan cooperation. Wikipedia

(Notice the unusual correct spelling of her first name~)

Thanks to those who played Trivia last week

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Barbscloud

Karl Benz

YoungAtHeart

Welp, it had to be before the automobile, and Rudolph Diesel is just too funny to be a real name, so that leaves me with

James Watt?

biscuit9

Henry Ford

0 Kudos
Cousin-Itt

Thanks again for posting Tuesday at The Trivia 

My first thought was that it had to be some Famous Amish Person like Jacob Yoder.  The Amish depend on horsepower, pedals, straw hats, and fried chicken. What they don't depend on or even use are zippers.  Well, since Jacob Yoder isn't one of the options, I guess I need to pick one from the list above.  

You have Henry but his claim to fame was really the assembly line.

Rudolph Mac Diesel I don't know about the Mac I just added it because I thought Mac Diesel sounds like a great trucker name. Any hoot diesel engines came after gasoline engines. 

Karl Benz,  Mercedes Benz, Knee Benz, River Benz and my favorite Benzing the Elbow

I'm guessing James Watt as he sounds like the most illogical choice When I think of Watts I don't think of cars I think of Watts, Volts, Amps and Ohms  I think of power, electrical power.    Electric Horsepower like my 1/2 horsepower sump pump in my basement. Thank you, Mr. James Watt for keeping my basement dry.

Final answer is James Watt yet I still think it is Jacob Yoder

YoungAtHeart

Welcome back, Carl @Cousin-Itt !  I have so missed your humor!

Cousin-Itt

Thanks @YoungAtHeart  This morning I'm home watching a couple of guys replace my back door for the second time in less than a year

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

😐

0 Kudos
SuzyQ411

@Cousin-Itt  My youngest has perpetual problems with his back door as well. Seems the kids don't shut the storm door tightly and then the wind grabs it, and there ya go!

Is that your issue too but when you let GoGo out? For God's sake Carl, shut the bleep door! 🤣

0 Kudos
Sootie

I'm going to just guess Henry Ford.

And----small bit of trivia related to last week---In august of 1814 the British torched the White House and other buildings during the war of 1812. AND...some of the blocks of Virginia sandstone that make up the original walls of the White House are clearly defaced with black scorch marks to this day. That is true.

What MAY be fiction is that as the President and others  fled the White House, dinner still on the table. So the British sat down, ate and then burned the place.