cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John10forteen

Menu's and Recipes

Menu suggestions THANKS ELLEN

MONDAY

Breakfast: Oatmeal with coconut milk, honey, chopped nuts and berries. Cranberry juice.

Snack:  Apple with nut butter. Coffee

Lunch:  Hummus, whole wheat pita, feta cheese, carrots, peppers, celery, cucumbers

Snack:  Soy yogurt w/ 2 TBS granola

Dinner:  Veggie stirfry with fresh ginger and turmeric, brown rice or quinoa

Snack: Banana, Peppermint tea

TUESDAY

Breakfast: Veggie omelet, cranberry juice

Snack: Whole wheat toast with nut butter, Coffee

Lunch: Salad with cabbage, carrots, avocado, peppers, olive oil dressing, flax seeds

Snack:  Popcorn

Dinner:  Baked sweet potato with quinoa and cranberry pilaf

Snack:  Dried fruit and almonds, Peppermint tea

WEDNESDAY

Breakfast: Baked apple with chopped nuts. Cranberry juice

Snack: Steamed Edamame. Coffee

Lunch:  Brown rice, Eggs over easy, grilled peppers

Snack:  Pineapple

Dinner:  Polenta, Braised greens, grilled chicken

Snack:  Whole wheat toast with nut butter. Peppermint tea

THURSDAY

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with fried sweet potato.

Snack:  Hummus and veggies

Lunch: Chili and corn bread

Snack:  Smoothie

Dinner:  Pad Thai over Brown Rice

Snack:  Fresh berries and yogurt

FRIDAY

Breakfast: Grits with parmesan cheese

Snack: Dried fruit and nuts

Lunch:  Vegetable barley soup

Snack:  Fruit with nut butter

Dinner:  Chicken Enchiladas

Snack:  Popcorn

SATURDAY

Breakfast:  Whole wheat French toast with honey, nuts, and berries.

Snack:  Guacamole with veggies

Lunch:  Curried vegetables over quinoa

Snack:  Grapes

Dinner:  Vegetable frittata

Snack: Whole wheat toast with nut butter

SUNDAY

Breakfast: Johnny Cakes with butter, honey, nuts, and apples

Snack:  Edamame

Lunch:  Chicken and brown rice soup

Snack:  Soy yogurt and granola

Dinner:  Falafel with yogurt sauce, whole wheat pita, cucumber salad

Snack:  Pineapple

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
John10forteen

Have Fun With Food:

Acquire a "jelly straining bag" for canners. Pour your cheap fat free cottage cheese in it and hold the top twisted and keep massaging and squishing the bag untill all the liquid is seperated from the curd. 

You will then have the more expensive "ricotta cheese" and the smoooth liquid makes a great salad dressing, by itself but add spices to make a good ranch or french onion etc.

NOTE: A jelly straining bag is a very versatile tool for the kitchen. 

0 Kudos
ShawnP

I have another great recipe to add. I just made this and it's so good. I would parbake the peppers ahead of time and i would add the mozarella cheese on halfway through cooking so it is more gooier. The pic i am enclosing is the one that i just took of it.

LASAGNA STUFFED PEPPERS 
4 large green peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded 
1 pound ground beef 
1 clove garlic, minced 
Salt and pepper, to taste 
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, divided 
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced 
1 cup spaghetti sauce 
15 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese 
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese 
1 egg 
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded 
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Place the peppers in a large baking pan at least 9 x 13 inches; sprinkle the inside of the peppers with salt. Meanwhile brown the ground beef, garlic, mushrooms, salt, pepper and half the garlic powder; drain the fat. Stir in the spaghetti sauce and adjust the seasonings as needed. Combine the ricotta cheese, egg and 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese in a small bowl; season with salt, pepper and the remaining garlic powder. Divide the ricotta mixture between the pepper halves. Top the ricotta mixture with the meat sauce; mound the mozzarella cheese over the top of each pepper. Sprinkle with the 1/4 cup parmesan. Bake at 350º for 45 minutes or until the cheese is melted and browned.

Makes 8 servings 
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 327 Calories; 21g Fat; 24g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

0 Kudos

OMG this looks amazing.  

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

I don't like peppers but this looks good!

0 Kudos
ShawnP

There is a difference between green and red. Red is slightly sweeter. Maybe try that one Sharon? this was good. I was going to make a dbl batch cause i know how these guys eat around here and decided not too. Big mistake cause i wanted more. I am definitely making this again soon. I do have all the ingredients still.

0 Kudos
John10forteen

These do look delicious, Probably great for freezing too. I think red and yellow peppers are sweeter and are a bit healthier because they have a lot more carotene than green ones. 

Thanks for posting Shawn.

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

Did you know that shredded cheese has starch to allow it to be loose?     

So, shred your own.

Just thought I would share this.

Sharon

0 Kudos
ShawnP

The do freeze great John. Sharon, i never knew that but sometimes its so much easier to buy the bag, especially when you have a big family and pressing for time when making dinner.

0 Kudos
SaucyQ

I'm joining this group to have your recipes for oopsie rolls and yellow squash casserole. Yum.

And thanks for the tip about pre-shredded cheese having starch. I assume it's corn starch from Genetically Modified corn, unless it's imported.

Grating is hard for my arthritic fingers, but I've got gadgets (rotary grater works well) and a desire to eat safe, healthy, real food. If I had a big family, I'd be tasking someone with cheese grating! 

Can't stop thinking about those oopsie rolls. Could they be a way to put sandwiches back into my mostly grain-free life?

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

Hi SaucyQ....welcome to the group!     As far as the Oopsie Rolls.....I like them but I've struggled to get them "dry" enough to use for sandwiches.     I'll keep experimenting with the recipe until I can do the same!     

Hope to see more of you.   Set up your own discussion group so that you can talk about whatever.....

Sharon

0 Kudos