cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jessj

Jess's Living Room

Hi all,

I just joined this site today.  I have a lot of motivation to quit and to get healthy - I want to get pregnant soon!  My quit date is 6/1/15.  

I've quit before - for as long as 8 years - but this time I'm going to make it permanent.  I went to counseling at our local health department with a nurse, and next week I will get some patches from them.  I've been working on delaying smoking when I have a craving - something the nurse advised me to do.  He said if you can make it about 10-15 minutes without a cigarette when you have a craving, the craving will go away.  So far, I can delay myself from having a cigarette for long periods of time - by distracting, chewing gum, etc. - but the craving is still there.  I still end up having one.  Granted, I'm having fewer cigarettes, but it seems like it is still going to be difficult to give up...maybe the patches will help take away the cravings?  I've never used the patch before - I've always quit cold turkey in the past.  

So I would really like it if people shared what has helped them quit.

I've recently started exercising regularly again.  I got a gym membership and went three days last week.  So far, I've only made it once this week, but I'm trying not to beat myself up about it.  I've learned I can always come up with excuses not to go - I need to work on the reasons to go.  One "reason" I gave myself today was by joining a "boot camp" at my gym.  The "boot camp" will meet twice a week for six weeks, and I'm hoping it will keep me motivated.  Not to mention, the dent in my wallet will hopefully motivate me as well.  I'm hoping to see results which will also continue to motivate me.

My diet is pretty good...I'm vegan.  I'm working on eating out less, and eating more raw foods.  I'm also adding supplements like magnesium and a B-complex.  

So, what motivates you to keep exercising and eating healthy?

Thanks for reading!

~Jess

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
ShawnP

Welcome Jess! Its great that you have set a quit date and looking to be healthy before bringing a baby into this world. As you do the delays, think also what triggers your crave . Educating yourself on this site is definitely recommended. This was the key to my successful quit. I knew what was happening and how to get past those craves. You can do it!

As far as motivation, i am still learning too but this is a journey to healthy living. We can make small changes so that they do stick with us in the end. 

0 Kudos
jessj

Thanks Shawn!

0 Kudos
John10forteen

Hi Jess, 

Welcome and what a great introduction. Thanks for sharing. What motivated me was my successful mind bending joy of accomplishing my forever quit from cigarettes. (Almost 200 days and loving it..... My Forever Quit)

Other than the aches in my kness, the grunts when bending over, the pushing myself off the couch, and just the way I looked, I WANT TO FEEL BETTER physically and mentally. 

Our little group here are just a few members from the (MAIN EXsmokers Site) PLEASE "copy & paste" your introduction into the Main EX'r's Blog so you can benefit like we do from the expertise and understanding of the smoking addiction. (From all the amazing members that helped me/us succeed)

Glad you joined us (our group & the Ex'rs site) and am looking forward to your successful journey. 

John

0 Kudos

Welcome Jess.  You really do need to copy and paste this to the main site.  Your quit comes first and right now you need to make that your number one concern. Glad to see you made the decision to quit and welcome to the site that will change your life.  

Bonnie

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

Welcome Jess!     As others have said, be sure to share who you are with the main EX blogs....and put it on your profile page as well.

Be careful not to "bite off more than you can chew" in more ways than one.     You can quit smoking and continue to eat healthy....my personal opinion is that the quit smoking has to come first.     I quit on 8/5/13 and (sadly) gained weight after.  But I'm feeling pretty solid in my quit so now am losing weight.    I've lost 27 lbs in the last couple of months, want to lose more.       I know that if I would have tried to do it all I would have lost it all.

You have such an incentive to quit smoking.......getting pregnant.         

Get inspired by the main site too!

You may decide to move up your quit date!

Sharon

0 Kudos
jessj

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!  I will copy and paste to the main blog, and my profile page.

0 Kudos
jessj

Oh and an update, I quit smoking 5/2!  So far, so good 🙂

0 Kudos

YAHOO!!  Good job get through Hell Week.

0 Kudos
jessj

Thank goodness for exercise!  It reminds me how much I want to be able to breathe without coughing, and keeps me occupied.  What healthy things do you all incorporate in your daily life?

0 Kudos