cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Timberintn

Improving my running

I started working out and running a couple years ago...something I never thought I would do. I soon began running in 5K races but quickly found I had kind of reached a plateau due to my smoking. I got depressed and frustrated and pretty much quit running. My first quit smoking day was Jan 1, and my plan is to hopefully be able to restart my running by time weather starts warming in early spring. I hope my lung function will improve.

17 Replies
Maki

Everyone is different but I noticed a huge difference in my breathing only three months into my quit. I’m Asthmatic and have copd and it improved that much that I went from three inhalers to only a rescue inhaler . I am back up now however to two , but joined the gym in hopes things like my bp will improve and again lung function . Great job , yes do make it a goal . Sounds like it’s something you love to do . Quitting will surely help . 

Thyme

I started running again a little over a month ago after taking a break for over a year. It feels so good! And my quit date is 12/31/23–I hope my heart and lungs being healthier from quitting will help with my breathing and stamina.

I had 3 surgeries and some medical treatments in 2022 that caused me to lose a lot of fitness and I got so frustrated when I tried to start running again that I through in the towel and gave up for another whole year. Now I am trying to focus less on my pace and more on how I feel & it’s making all the difference. I just signed up for a 5k trail race at the end of February, so that will be something to look forward to.

biscuit9

Always choose your health first.  Use running as your incentive to get rid of the nicotine addiction.  You will never regret quitting smoking, but you will regret giving up running (something healthy that you enjoy).  We give nicotine all our power, it is sad.  Start your training now and set goals, while listening to your body of course.

@Thyme  Encouraging you, as well.  Sounds like you got to a certain level of fitness, and it takes patience to build your stamina back up.  I think we have all been there, so please don't stop improving your fitness level!  

Congratulations to both of you on committing and choosing to quit your nicotine addiction.  Not easy, but worth it and doable!  Glad you guys are here cos it means you made a decision to put your health and wellbeing FIRST.  Quit day 474.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the EX Community! We are here to support you on this journey. I look forward to hearing the stories when you get back running😊 I'm so happy you chose your health because that's most important. 

You got this!

Quiana, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
ChasityEvans

Thanks  

Chasity evans
0 Kudos
KevinXie

👍

0 Kudos
kbleeker1951

I had quit smoking cold turkey in 1999. I started back to smokimg Feb 2022 because I lost my 46 year old daughter due to alot of health issues on her part. She weighed over 600 pounds and had been in the hospital a little over 2 months.

She was in a Missouri Hospital and we lived in Ok she was sent to Missouri by her physician. After losing her I used "smoking" as an excuse to "staty back" to smoking.  Everything is an excuse to drop your guard and go back to smoking.

I enjoyed smoking. I enjoyed the smell. 

Then by Nov my health had been going downhill anbd I wound up with Guillean Berrea Syndrome. It started feet up fingers up. I was in the hospital 5 weeks could not move turn my head or lift an arm or leg. I couldn't feed myself.

Couldn't sit on a stool without help.  I could do nothing but cry blink my eyes or talk. I was 71 and very helpless. Life has been such a struggle but I even struggled to get back to smoking in the first few weeks being in the hospital with GBS. Here I am its Feb 20th. I set my quit again date forFeb 18th. I done pretty good until the end of the day. I wanted a cigarette at bedtime.

I thought the next day Feb 19 I failed myself with even one cigarette.  Dozens of reasons will present themselves for an excuse to smoke. I have to have strong determined will power tell myself no more cigarettes. No more excuses. I am in a wheel chair still struggling to walk. My fingers are still curled with little strenth. I can walk with my rollator walker. The most I've walked in One day is 6 miles it took almost 3 hours altogether. But even tho I've ruined my heal picking up cigarettes again I gave to struggle and beat this. I believe in the power of prayer I just fail to accept sometimes the Grace of God I'm given.

I'll still keep on and will post more as time goes by.

Barbscloud

@kbleeker1951 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your quit.  Sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter and your struggles with your health.  Quitting can only help to improve your condition. 

If you haven't done so already, do some reading on the site to learn about nicotine addition and have a plan in place to be prepared for the ups and downs of quitting.  Helpful information at this link.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Join many of us on the daily pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Consider creating your own post at My Journal/Blog on the home page to introduce yourself to the community and receive some well deserved support.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
biscuit9

@kbleeker1951  I also believe in the power of prayer and will be praying for strength, for you.  Nicotine is never the answer and just harms our health.  Read and learn about this addiction, as knowledge is power.

0 Kudos