Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moody_9-18-13

Healthy Recipes

Please share your recipes here.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
ShawnP

Wasn't sure to put this here or in the snack discussion board. WW used to have alternatives. i would have to pull out my books but when baking to use applesauce instead of oil was an option.

50 ways to cut 100 calories

Lunch and Dinner

• 27. Cut a 6 oz. steak in half and take the other portion home for another meal. Save 111 calories!
  •   
  • 28. Order a skinless chicken breast instead of chicken with skin. Save 102 calories!
  •   
  • 29. Substitute a fat-free beef hot dog for a regular beef hot dog. Save 104 calories!
  •   
  • 30. Build a sandwich with1.5 oz. of deli turkey breast instead of an equivalent of hard salami. Save 119 calories!
  •   
  • 31. Instead of 6 oz. of crispy fried chicken with skin, eat 6 oz. baked chicken with skin. Save 102 calories!
  •   
  • 32. Choose a slice of thin crust pizza over thick crust pizza. Save 106 calories!
  •   
  • 33. Add vegetable toppings to your pizza order and say no to pepperoni. Save 100 calories!
  •   
  • 34. Forget broccoli cheddar soup. A 7-oz portion of vegetable soup is better. Save 119 calories!
  •   
  • 35. Enjoy 12 oz of steamed rice (choose brown rice when possible) as an alternative to fried rice. Save 96 calories!
  •   
  • 36. Unwrap your 13-inch tortilla wrap and make a sandwich on a 3-oz. whole grain bagel instead. Save 96 calories!
  •   
  • 37. Eat only half of your hamburger or sandwich bun. Save 100 calories!

Condiments and Sauces

• 38. Dip your salad in a side of ranch dressing (2 tsp.) instead of pouring 2 Tbsp of dressing on the salad.Save 97 calories!
  •   
  • 39. Skip the 5 oz. of Alfredo sauce and eat a whopping 7 oz. of marinara sauce. Save 129 calories!
  •   
  • 40. Add flavor to vegetables with 3 oz. of hot sauce—not 1 oz of bleu cheese dressing. Save 117 calories!
  •   
  • 41. Top your salad with 1.5 oz. reduced-fat Italian dressing instead of regular. Save 96 calories!
  •   
  • 42. Try either cheese or croutons on your salad—not both Save 72-116 calories!
  •   
  • 43. Instead of 3 oz. of regular sour cream, use a fat-free variety. Save 120 calories!
  •   
  • 44. Use 2 Tbsp reduced-fat light mayonnaise instead of regular mayonnaise. Save 102 calories!

Sweets and Desserts

• 45. Serve ice cream in a dish instead of a waffle cone. Save 121 calories!
  •   
  • 46. Try a healthier peanut granola bar instead of a peanut candy bar. Save 94 calories!
  •   
  • 47. Finish dinner with 1 cup of low-fat frozen yogurt instead of regular ice cream. Save 121 calories!
  •   
  • 48. Substitute 5 oz. of apple pie, with 5 oz. of baked apple crisp. Save 85 calories!
  •   
  • 49. Instead of 4 oz. of regular chocolate pudding, enjoy a sugar-free portion. Save 92 calories!
  •   
  • 50. Leave that 1/2 cup of strawberry ice cream in the freezer. Enjoy 1/2 cup of fresh strawberries topped with 2 Tbsp of fat-free whipped cream as an alternative. Save 102 calories!

Cutting 100 calories here and there is an easy way to form healthier eating habits without feeling deprived or hungry. With just a few of these tricks up your sleeve, you'll be on your way to reaching your goals in no time!

0 Kudos
moody_9-18-13

Shawn, YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY! I need this information! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You guys, this is the first time in my life I've needed to lose weight, so this is all new to me. Sickorettes supressed my appetite to the point that I only ate small meals and only then if I was hungry. I don't feel like i've ever tasted food until now. Wowsers, food is good.

So, I'm learning just like quitting, I need to read, read and read some more! This coming week, I will make some changes in how I prepare food.

ShawnP

USE YOUR HAND TO ESTIMATE

Fist= 1 cup or 1 medium whole fruit

Thumb (tip to base)= 1 oz of meat or cheese

Thumb tip (tip to 1" joint) = 1 tbsp.

Fingertip (tip to 1' Joint)= 1 tsp.

Index finger (1" to 2" joint) = 1 inch

Cupped hand= 1-2 ounces of nuts or pretzels

Palm (minus fingers) = 3 ounces of cooked meat, fish, or poultry

1 cup serving= size of tennis ball

A large baked potato= light bulb

a scoop or 1/2 cup= small computer mouse

a portion of slamon or halibut steak or 2 pieces of sushi is about the length and width of an audio cassette tape.

Portion of meat, palmo of hand, deck of cards or audio cassette in your mind

1 oz cube of cheese = 6 small dice

1/2 cup cheese= golf ball

potato chips or pretzels= a portion is about a handful

ShawnP

When baking cakes, cookies or sweets, applesauce can substitute margarine, butter or oil.

Evaporated skim milk can replace cream in soups and sauces

Cottage cheese (grounded up and pureed) or Greek Yogurt can replace sour cream in dressings.

0 Kudos
moody_9-18-13

Recipe is from Judy and was on the main page, so I've moved it here. She starts by saying....Let me just say "I hate that I can't copy and paste" drives me crazy.

From Judy:

Caribbean Snapper with Green Sauce

Net Carbs: 5

fiber: 2 Protein: 41 Fat: 20.3 Calories: 377.6

Ingredients

5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

3/4 green bell pepper, chopped

3/4 red bell pepper, chopped

1/2 Cup chopped onion

28 Ozs. snapper fillets

1 teasp salt

1 cup fresh cilantro

1 teasp ginger root

2 limes for zest and garnish

Directions

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.

2.Add bell peppers and onion; cook just until softened and lightly golden, about 5 min. Place fish on prepared baking sheet; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.

3. Divide pepper mixture over fish. Bake until fish flakes easily when pierced with a fork, 10 to 15 min.

4. Meanwhile, process 4 tablespoons olive oil, cilantro, ginger, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and lime zest in a food processor or blender to a chunky puree.

5. Tansfer fish with vegetable to plates, top with sauce, and serve each fillet with a lime wedge

Judy

0 Kudos
ShawnP

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

Introduction

A yummy way to start the day with very little fat and lots of flavor!

Minutes to Prepare:    5  

Minutes to Cook:    25  

Number of Servings:    12

Ingredients

• 1 cup old fashioned oats (not instant)
    1 cup skim milk
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    2 egg whites 
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon sugar
    raisins or nuts (optional)
  •   

Directions

Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.  
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  
Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.  
Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined.  
In a separate bowl measure and whisk the dry ingredients together.  
Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins if desired.  
Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough. Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan.  
Combine the cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin with some of the mixture.  
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.  
Remove from pan, cool and enjoy.  
These can be frozen and reheated in the microwave for a quick breakfast. 

Only 93 calories per muffins and .05 g fat!
0 Kudos

I tried this recipe the other day and it was really good! Unfortunately, it doesn't give nutrional info but it's under healthy vegetarian recipes (NO, I'm not a vegetarian) I went perfect with the baked chicken I cooked.

Baked Acorn Squash with Wild Rice, Pecan and Cranberry Stuffing

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/vegetarian-baked-acorn-squash-with-wild-rice-pecan-cranberries.ht...

Vegetarian: Baked Acorn Squash with Wild Rice, Pecan and Cranberry Stuffing

0 Kudos

For any of you that use Pinterest, I started a recipe board for low calorie recipes.

http://www.pinterest.com/MarilynGreck/recipes-the-4-letter-word-diet-low-calorie-andor-h/

0 Kudos

This is my favorite soup of all time! Not because it's diet because I sometimes add corn and potatoes to it as well. It just has a wonderful taste. The original recipe was on the Atkins site but I couldn't find it this time so I will post a recipe link that is close to the way I make it and add my directions as well.

http://faithfulnessfarm.blogspot.com/2012/02/low-carb-living-hamburger-soup.html

Low Carb Hamburger Soup

SPICY SEASONING SALT RECIPE: 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, 3/4 teaspoon pepper, 3/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (this is pretty spicy so you may want to start with less), 3/4 teaspoon celery salt.  Mix well and store in an airtight container

Hamburger Soup

1 pound ground beef
4 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
9 ounces cabbage, chopped, 1/2 medium or 4 cups
2 ounces fresh spinach thinly sliced
2 cans beef broth
4 broth cans water
8 ounce can tomato sauce (I also add a can of diced tomatoes)
1 teaspoon Spicy Seasoning Salt

Brown the hamburger with the onion and celery. Drain fat. Add the cabbage; cook and stir until tender. Add all remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low for about 2 hours. Adjust seasoning to taste. Makes about 8 servings. Taste even better the next day and freezes well. 

Per Serving: 126 Calories; 7g Fat; 11g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

0 Kudos

I found a link for the original Low Carb Hamburger Soup with SPICY SEASONING SALT but it can't be pinned 😞

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/hamburger_soup.html

0 Kudos