cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercising and Health

I am walking every day as long as there is no rain. 30 minutes a day. I probably wasted that much time smoking in the past. Yesterday I rewarded myself with a Wii and a Wii fit so now I can do a work out at home. Especially when I can't get out and walk, winter is coming. Although I will enjoy the walks in the cool weather. Once I get a new job, it may be too dark by the time I get home.
  208 smoke free days!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1,337 Replies
vickie5

Smoking and weight gain
  A question that is often asked is "Will I gain weight if I quit smoking?" The honest answer to this is, there is a chance it could happen. The majority of smokers who quit see little or no weight gain, but an unfortunate few have been known to put on 3kg's or more.

It is thought the longer and the amount someone has smoked, the more likely the chances are they will gain weight. There are other factors as well, such as lifestyle and genetics.

There are a few reasons as to why some people gain weight after they quit smoking.

Firstly, years of smoking has a dulling effect on the taste buds. After smoking has ceased, the taste buds can regain full tasting ability. This may lead to overeating as it becomes more pleasurable.

Secondly your body burns up approx 200 calories a day trying to rid your body of the poisons that smoking puts into it. When you quit those extra calories need to be burned, otherwise they may be stored as fat.

Thirdly, people have been known to substitute cigarettes with food. Eating food is a good way of replicating the hand to the mouth habit that has been picked up from smoking. It is a habit that some smokers find hard to break

So what is the best way to ensure that you don't gain weight after you quit smoking?

When you decide to quit, it needs to be more than just stopping smoking. The main reason people cite for wanting to quit smoking is for their health, well if that's the case than why not make other healthy lifestyle changes too. These should include,

Eating healthier: Add more fruit and vegetables into your diet. Fill your fridge and cupboards with high protein, low fat, low calorie snacks instead of salty, sugary ones. Don't avoid bad foods altogether but restrict them to once a week. Eating good, nutritious foods will also help your body repair any damage that had been sustained from smoking.

Exercising more: Just 30 minutes a day of solid aerobic exercise (jogging, biking, sport etc) will burn up those extra 200 calories. Add a regular exercise program into your weekly routine. If you already exercise you may need to step it up a notch. Make healthier choices such as biking, not driving to work, take the stairs not the elevator etc.

When my partner and I stopped smoking we decided we were going to change our whole lifestyle into a much healthier one. We keep this lifestyle today and we will keep it for the rest of our lives. When I think back to my smoking days, I am looking back at a totally different person. I am now smoke free, weigh less, have more energy and feel the healthiest I have ever been.

When you decide to quit smoking, decide to change your lifestyle into a healthier one too. That way there is no chance you will be one of those unfortunate ex-smokers who put on weight.

Found this on-line makes some sense

donna22

Vickie, don't painc, I don't think you are doing anything wrong...you've been working out, muscle weighs more than fat, you did say your clothes felt a bit looser....give it another week, you will see the results....water, water, water....
0 Kudos
jen39

Hmmmm, well gained I have. I know for me it seems that my mind is mistaking hunger for craving. I seems like when I should be craving ( when a trigger is involved) i feel hungry and eat. My hungier has increased 2x since I quit smoking. I need to do something fast or who knows what I'll weigh a week from now.
0 Kudos
vickie5

Ok so you gained so did I and we both are not smoking so lets concentrate on that today is good day for me I want to lose weight but I have to put things in perspective. Jen you need to hang in there on your quit and you probably need to either walk to do some type of exercise. I spoke with a personal trainer,not mine I don't have one and she said that most people not will gain when they quit and it is harder to lose, smoking did somewhat burn calories becasue your body was trying to get all those toxins out and your metabolism was a little higher- but we certainly were not healthy. Soi it will take a little time and things will kick back and the weight will come off easier. She siad. hang in there yaou are doing great, my mom also died of heart failure and COPD at to too young vic
0 Kudos
vickie5

I think I am still gaining--yikes--I am sure trying to lose--quess I will have to forget about it for a while and maybe losing will kick in.. Still working out would not weigh myself this morning because I feel fat..
  Enough of that--have a great week--and don't forget to vote. vic
0 Kudos
angeleyes

cool love hearing from you too linda . yea haveing a partner work out with you is great ! My husband is mine and he nos when to push me and when i dont want to go anymore its my chose not like some trainers if you no what i mean ....lol well off to get ready for work love ya guys keep up the good work
0 Kudos
angeleyes

"Many of life's failures are people
  who did not realize how close they
  were to success when they gave up."

0 Kudos
momat

ok this is my second day to be nicotine free. It hasnt been the best 2 days in the world but not the worst either. I had said before when I was home and got the urge I would hope on my treadmill for about 5 mins till the urge is subsided. I have laughed at myself the past 2 mornings, been up and on that treadmill!!!
  (I usually workout after work in the evenings) I guess this is a good thing! Wish me luck for day 3!
0 Kudos
AutumnWoman

I'm giving myself a little project today. I'm going to look for healthful cooking classes in my area that I can attend. I would like to learn how to prepare interesting, healthy dishes that everybody in the family will eat. I tend to get sidetracked because the menfolk are junk food junkies. It's not so bad when it's just me and my husband, but when our son is here, I'm outnumbered and healthy eating tends to go out the window. I want to stop that.
0 Kudos
melissa51

Ok- I started back last night at the gym- on my way to a completely healthy me! By the way- My husband went with me! That's a miracle!!!!
  Also- if anyone happens to find a website with really great tasting but healthy meals (recipes) please pass it on to me- My kids tend to rule the dinner table so I really need help on finding family friendly health food!! By the way- WOW- food sure tastes a whole world different without the dead taste buds from smoking!
0 Kudos