cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John10forteen

3 STEPS

THIS DISCUSSION IS IN THE PROCESS OF BRAINSTORMING, EDITING AND BEING REFINED. THE BASIC IDEA IS USING THE SAME 3 STEPS WE USED TO QUIT SMOKING SUCCESSFULLY TO QUIT BAD HEALTH HABITS ALSO. Thank You. To Be Continued....

Hi everyone,

I’m very happy with the way the group is developing and just want to take a few minute to share some things with you all. I could say Donna and I were equally instrumental with starting the group.  But we wouldn’t have much of a group if not for everyone else.

The group started very disjointed and I was afraid it would fail apart basically because none of us knew what we were doing with a group dynamic. We threw some crap on the wall and what stuck is what we have now and I think it is good.

I had time to work the group because of cabin fever but springtime is coming and I know my time will be shortened considerably. Before that happens and because I think this group will be “more” successful, I would like to discuss a mission statement, practices within the group etc.

I think a mission statement is a good idea because as new members ask what the group about, it would be fast and easy for them to read the mission statement. We have ten members but currently are entertaining 4 very active members. Donna, Ellen, Bonnie & Me. I am inviting the 4 of us to brainstorm and complete this step for the group. But please feel no obligation to do so.

Along with a mission statement, the group dynamic requires a different way to easily post and follow things.  I think two things we learned so far is that having our own story page is very helpful and I also love how the “off topic” General Living Room Discussion was born.

It is these types of things I would like to write up into an easy read for newcomers to help them navigate the group.

The primary seed for this group is using the techniques and rewards of quitting smoking in an effective manner to quit other bad health habits. Controlling other health habits is a lot more complicated than quitting smoking because of the humongous field of “other bad health habits” of course the easiest to track, with obvious benefits and probably most desired is weight loss, but I personally think this group can be so much more than that.

The name is what we got and I don’t know if we can change that without losing all our early history stuff. If we could; do you want to? Discussion? I personally think there can be a better name but I don’t want to lose all the early history stuff.

I have been doing some heavy thinking about the 3 Steps of becoming an EX.. I think this could be the CORE of our mission statement. At first I thought Step 1 was the same and Step two could be relearning impulses instead of addiction; but I’ve rethought that now.

I think we all desire quick permanent results towards weight loss But here are the 3 STEPS to OUR FOREVER HEALTH. (My ideas anyway what ya think?)

Step 1) Relearn habits and impulses.  

Just like quitting smoking, it’s super beneficial to go through this step. Maybe we can add ways and ideas to make this step easier and efficient for a wide variety of different habits.

Step 2) Relearn Nutrition and Activity and “make your own personal plan”

Just like quitting smoking and having to relearn or learn the first time about addiction, maybe it is a good idea to learn and relearn about different nutritional and activity benefits that fit our personal journey .

Step 3) Embrace a loving support group as we implement our FOREVER HEALTH PLAN.

I believe the support group on this site in its entirety is a big asset to our success along with our own conviction and experience with quitting smoking.

WHEW… I only PM’d this to Donna, Bonnie & Ellen for now, everyone else can input and or read later. I ALSO  copied this to a discussion labeled 3 Steps . you kan pm me or comment on the group page. Thank you. I’m tired ..bye 4 now.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
John10forteen

By the way, this is a temporary topic that may get relabled after some brainstorming is done.

0 Kudos
djmurray

I'm thinking that it IS a good idea to develop some broad general steps for anyone, covering a wide variety of habits.  We would have to disclaim, of course, that we're just folks who are working through it and we have no special credentials in this field.   I'm going to copy your three steps below and add my editing.  See what you think (and of course, take what you like and get rid of the rest).

Step 1) Observe and start revising habits and impulses.

Just like quitting smoking, it’s super beneficial to go through a good preparation period. So many of us eat for emotional rather than nutritional reasons.  Do you eat very little during the day and binge at night?  Are you not happy unless you have had several helpings at meals or piled your plate high?  Are sweets your downfall, or perhaps salty snacks?  If you spend a few days mindfully approaching how you eat you can learn a lot.  Whatever your personal habits may be, just make note of them at first.  We all pretty much know when we're not eating healthy, so first start eliminating one of those behaviors at a time.  If portion control is your problem, just make them somewhat smaller at first.  If sweets are your problem, don't eat as many at first; the same goes for salty snacks.  Whatever it is you're doing that makes you wish you hadn't may be just what you need to address.   Once you've identified the elements of your unhealthy eating, start to make a plan.  Perhaps just cutting down in the areas we've already talked about is enough.  Or maybe you have to lose a great deal of weight to feel healthy.  In that case, look at a variety of plans for weight loss and exercise that might appeal to you.  There's no point in selecting a plan that won't work for you.  If you're not a cook, don't plan a diet that's going to require a lot of complicated recipes.  Just like quitting smoking and having to relearn or learn the first time about addiction, it is a good idea to learn and relearn about different nutritional and activity benefits that fit our personal journey .Research, read and make a decision on what you think would work best for you.  As far as exercise goes, do the same thing.  If you are completely sedentary start out slowly, but find an exercise program suited to your personality.  If workout videos work for you, get them.  If a simple walking program is more suited to your style, just do it.  If a gym is your favorite way to go, join one or go to the one you have a membership for but haven't used.

Step 2) Start following your own personal plan

Set a date and start whatever you've selected for your weight/exerise plan, and take it a day at a time.  Just like quitting smoking you will have easy days and hard days, and more hard days in the very beginning.  You didn't get unhealthy in a week and you won't get back to the health you want in a week either.  But just as you were proud of every day you didn't smoke, you can take pride in the fact that you're moving toward your goal of good health. 

Step 3) Embrace a loving support group as we implement our FOREVER HEALTH PLAN.

We have all come to  believe the support we receive on this site in its entirety is a huge asset to our success, along with our own conviction and experience with quitting smoking.  We aim to provide that same support for weight/exercise/health.  While we can measure total success in our smoking quits by Not One Puff Ever, we have to eat.  So we believe that the support that helps us so much in our quits is even more essential in the weight loss, maintence, exercise area.  So join us, blog about your dreams of health and your plans for achieving them, your frustrations and your triumphs.  We're all dealing with the same issues.

0 Kudos
elvan

I think this is all very impressive.  I like the idea of starting slowing and keeping track of what you are doing.  As I have said, I am not here to lose weight, I am here to get healthy which absolutely requires that I pay more attention to what I am eating and that I begin an exercise plan as soon as I possibly can.  I will have my shoulders injected on Thursday so may be able to begin some light weight training a couple of days after that.  I also have an exercise bike but it has handles that I need to push and pull and I can't do that yet either.  I was in MUCH better shape before the fire in November.  I worked out 5-6 days a week, 40 minutes on the bike and a little over half an hour with the weights.  THAT is what I want to get back to.  

0 Kudos
djmurray

Do you think the edits I did focus too much on weight?  I know that's my big issue now, so I wouldn't be surprised if it requires some editing to make it more balanced. 

0 Kudos
elvan

I think health and weight go hand in hand and I don't think there is any issue with the focus on weight.  We all have to focus on healthy and on exercise and weight is part of that for everyone.  I may not need to lose weight but I sure don't want to gain any and put more stress on my joints.

0 Kudos

I think what you two have done is great and will help a lot of people.  Weight is a huge part of quiting smoking and maintaining a healthy weight is on the mind of everyone.   

Count me in.  

0 Kudos