Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’d like to thank a veteran and so should you

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 6 57

It’s Memorial Day today. Yes, the Schroeder Institute and the Truth Initiative offices are closed. We’re out with our families, enjoying time together and maybe a parade or two, but Become an EX is still open as it always is. 24/7/365 days a year.

364 days a year I try my best to thank a Veteran each time I see one. Thursday was an example of a day I was able to. I was out to dinner with them as usual. But this time we were by the restaurant door. An older man came into the foyer of the restaurant and I quickly told my oldest to hold the door for him as I could see his granddaughter was helping someone else and he was trying to maneuver his walker. Thankfully my son stepped into action and opened the door for him. As soon as he entered the restaurant I stood up and greeted him with a handshake and thanks for his service. He met me with bewilderment as he wasn’t sure how I knew he was a retired serviceman.  His granddaughter spoke loudly to him to reiterate what I had done and then then smiled and grasped my hand back. I was overwhelmed with emotion at that point and couldn’t take my eye off him until he sat down for dinner. My boys were a bit shocked that I had just shaken hands with a complete stranger after having told them not to do things like that for so long. It was a perfect segue to explain the importance of what I did.

On this day, especially, if you’re looking for a way to beat a craving, take a moment or two to shake a service man or service woman’s hand and thank them for their sacrifice. You may just get into a conversation that puts your craving aside and it will leave you with a super amazing feeling. You might even help them escape a craving as well. In reading Snow90’s profile recently I was reminded by the number of our service’s persons who begin to smoke during their military service.

If you take my challenge, leave a comment about what ensued after you thanked them. I know I’m going to challenge my boys to do the same.

Mark
EX Community Manager

6 Comments
About the Author
This account is run by a team of EX Community Administrators. It's an honor and a privilege to help the members of this community each and every day. We love the mix of people here getting support and giving it to others. You're all something to someone. We are inspired by the many, many amazing people who come here to help others.