Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get your profile in order for the new EX community

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager
2 21 250

As we move to a new platform, we’ve mentioned that personal profiles are going to be changing. In this blog post, we’re going to walk you through each of the areas expected to change and will suggest some ways that you can back up and update your profile so that you’ll be ready for the big move. 

Personal profiles are going to be different on Jive, our new platform. We know that many of you have taken pains to customize your profile with personal statements, images and even animated gifs, but these are not immediately available on the new platform—at least not in the way you’ve been used to. Not to worry. Read on! 

Personal Information and Quit Date 

Your username and your quit date will be transferred over to the new platform. There’s nothing that you need to do about backing up or saving this information. You can if you want to, of course, but nothing will be lost. There will also be space on your new profile for an About Me description, plus some fun things like what keeps you motivated to quit, and what you like to do when you’re not on EX. 

Will my real name show? 

The new platform will just show your screen name like before. You only need to reveal your real name if you want to. Fine-tuned privacy settings are available on the new platform so you can decide who sees what. 

What will happen to my Quit Clock? 

We love the quit clocks and know that you do, too! There have been some fun things (and some not-so-great things) about using third-party calculators, so we’ve been working with our EX Community members to build one in-house that keeps the good and does away with the bad. On our new platform, the in-house one will be the only available option. It will appear on your profile labeled My Quit Stats and be calculated based on the quit date you set in My Quit Plan on EX.  

Where can I put other profile things (e.g., Brief Description, Location, Interests, Skills)? 

Some of you have written long profile elements, describing your quit history, giving links to help others through their quit, and telling your personal story. We value those profile elements and don’t want to lose them. However, there are length limits on the new platform. These fields of your profile will not automatically move over to the new platform immediately, though we may be able to do so at a later date. We recommend copying it to a word processing document and saving it to your personal computer.  

Follow these steps to back up your profile: 

1. Login to https://excommunity.becomeanex.org

3. Click button to Go To My Page on right side.  

5. Click Edit profile on left side. 

7. Copy text from each profile field into your word processing application and save to your computer. 

Once we’ve moved to the new platform, you may want to take that document and create a new blog post or Jive document that features that content. Once we’re on the new platform, we’ll show you exactly how to post a personal blog or Jive document 

Profile Pictures and Profile Background/Profile Colors 

Your profile picture will be coming over in the move. We will not be bringing over profile backgrounds and profile colors. Please save your profile background image to your personal computer if it is important to you to have. You will be able to upload a profile banner image after the move. 

Have a question that isn't answered above? Leave a question in the comments below

Mark
EX Community Manager

21 Comments
bonniebee

Hi Mark I am having trouble writing a blog when I click onto " write a blog "it just brings me to my last blog that i wrote  and it says publish as though I wanted to edit or re- publish it . I have tried over and over for the past few days . Please help ! thanks

bonniebee

I think i figured it out Mark...... for some reason I had to post the old blog again in order to write a new one ! I don't know why but I think I can now write a new blog !

indingrl

thanks Mark for info on NEW JIVE SMOKE PAGE. I appreciate all you are doing to SHARE NEW INFO OF CHANG CHANGE CHANGE giving ME and I am only talking about ME..... time for ME to adjust to these CHANGES and pitching MY FITS AND NINNYING AND COMPLAINING WHINING CRYING VENTING YET NO MATTER WHAT NOT ONE PUFF OVER ME in Jesus name amen AWE I AM DOING BETTER ALREADY WITH CHANGUNG TO JIVEBECOMEANX.DIFFERENT DECORATING STYLYES TO PERSONAL PAGES WILL BE ALL CHANGES NO COLOR NOR PICS NO CLOCKS NO NOTHING NO STORIES....... no worries I will be okay Mark big hug to you and thanks for WARNING OF CHANGES BY JIVE!!! 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Indingrl

With Jive you will be gaining other great things. You will lose some personalization in the way of looks but gain a lot of utility. It will be a change but it will be a change for good.

Mark
EX Community Manager

sophia-22

Hi Mark,

Is there a tutorial or step by step on how to use the image and link buttons above. I hope I'm not the only one who can't figure it out. (haha)

Regards,

Linda (sophia-22)

JACKIE1-25-15

Will our blogs follow us?

JonesCarpeDiem

Sounds like a lot of work.  😞

JonesCarpeDiem

I'm assuming our blogs will follow us?

I just right clicked on my page and chose "save page as" to a folder on my desktop.

Daniela2016

Cleaned up house, can't wait for the new platform to "overload" it again 🙂

Kidding, looking forward to see it slicker, streamlined, consistent, thanks for all the work team!!!

Daniela

ShawnP

I am backed up, cleaned up and ready to go!

Giulia

For me, I have copied everything on my page.  What can be transferred to the new platform - will be.  What can't, well, we'll either come up with new innovative ways to present the material that we, as members of this community need to on Jive,  or we'll figure out some means by which the information that we consider important will be disseminated in another fashion.  We're here to help people quit.  That's our bottom line.  And we will do whatever it takes.  
But we do need an answer as to whether our blogs will "follow us."  In other words will our blogs remain connected and extant to our profiles.  If not, then we need to copy those blogs that we “hold dear” and want to, perhaps, pass on to future generations of quitters.   Our blogs are, after all our hearts' presentations here as well as the wisdom of our quit experience.   So please do let us know about that.  For myself, I have copied every blog I have ever written. Because THAT is my legacy here on EX.  My only legacy really - aside from my 10 plus year quit which speaks for itself..  And I think that for many long-term members of this community our blogs are our legacy.  So we need to know what's going to happen to them.

Really appreciate the in-depth "heads up" information.  And looking forward to further information so that we can protect our material to pass it on for future quitters.  Because the community is what makes the hum in this hive.

Legend

When we moved from the Ning site the groups got all messed up because only the first two pages of the group’s discussions got copied and a lot of good comments got lost. The game room was really messed up because we had a lot pages in that group but no more. Do the people with groups need to copy all of the comments on all of the blogs and discussions past page 2 to keep the groups valuable information from the members of that group?

Do we need to copy past page 2 on our blogs not in the groups but on our page of all of the comments? How many pages are saved on each blog in this move on all blogs?

Legend

Do you know if we get to keep our links to YouTube videos on our blogs?  Will the YouTube links still work on the new site that we have on our blogs already?

Connie55

Thanks for the heads up Mark. Change is good! After all, isn't that why all of us are here? A desire to change our lives? Onward!

green1611

thanks for this. I have nothing in "Edit profile", its clean. Hope blogs etc will be carried forward. Kindly adv by when intend to move to new platform?

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Sophia-22

Here is a walk-through of saving the profile fields and pictures to your computer.

@Jackie/Dale/Giulia

Yes the blog posts will be migrated over to the new community.

@Dale

Were you saying it is a lot of work for you or for us?
You should save your profile as I have described in the steps provided to Sophia-22 above. Doing a Right  Click Save as to save as a web-page will give you an html file with a lot of code.

@Daniela/ShawnP

Glad you are all ready to go.

@Giulia

Yes, your blogs will move to the new community. So no worries there. No need to copy them. Your profiles are a different story and it is a very difficult process. We're still investigating the possibility of moving the content over but if that happens it won't be for a while. We don't want to delay getting you to Jive. As you said, there will be new ways to share your wisdom. And I know just as you have been innovative with Elgg, you will be innovative with Jive, however, the core options on Jive will hopefully be more intuitive and useful and fit your needs more directly.  As we've mentioned before not everything available on Elgg will be on Jive but you're gaining a lot more than you're losing.

@Legend (Christine)

We've been a lot more careful about migrating data than what happened with Ning > Elgg.  The groups will morph a little bit so but all the content will be there*. No need to copy everything. We're taking care of that.

Yes, YouTube links should still work. Hopefully, it will work better. Any YouTube content posted on the new site will work better.

*We certainly can't account for computer related errors but in our test migrations we've seen nearly everything come over.

@Connie55

That's the spirit!

@Green1611

Correct, not everyone has completed their Profile so you may not have anything in the fields as I have described above. If that is the case, then you have nothing to back up.

We're looking to migrate the community to Jive by the end of January and we'll post a more specific date as we get closer.

Giulia

Thank you!  Can't wait for the @ sign to become active!  That will be cool!

maryfreecig

I'm starting to feel like a nervous mother in-law about the birth of this new site...my eye is on easy photo uploads...that's the prize I'm waiting for!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@marycigfree

Yes photo uploads will become easier!

@Giulia

I agree with that. Being able to mention Places, People and Content will be a great advancement forward!

Mark
EX Community Manager

sophia-22

Thanks Mark I'll check out the step by step and let you know if I have any other questions.

Legend

@ Mark Thank you for letting me know. 

About the Author
This account is run by a team of EX Community Administrators. It's an honor and a privilege to help the members of this community each and every day. We love the mix of people here getting support and giving it to others. You're all something to someone. We are inspired by the many, many amazing people who come here to help others.