cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giulia

How to Make Kimchi

I'm about to make my first batch of Kimchi.  Anybody out there with experience that they want to share?  I've spent many hours looking on youtube and found some great recipes and ideas.  But why not get it from you guys first hand if you have the experience.  CANNOT find gochugaru in this small town but I did buy some chipotle pepper (Which I heard was a good substitute).  Oh MY but that smells and tastes good!  I dipped my finger in it.  The one I bought is strawberry chipotle.  OMG!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
29 Replies
Giulia

Ah, the Jive Word Police are at it again!  Krout without the sour first is no go! lol  

WaynenMary‌  Yes, it's made with Napa cabbage.

Mark‌ (Oh look at THAT, your name popped up when I put simply the "at" sign.  Just put a screen shot on your blog )  At least YOU have a sophisticated palate! lol   Next time I'm going to use less salt, or rinse more than 3 times, and definitely use less heat.  

Anyone for monkey brains?  

0 Kudos
WaynenMary

Wayne loves cabbage but I will pass..lol

0 Kudos
Bonnie

I made it back in the 70's in one of those large glass mayonnaise jars (they don't put mayo in those beautiful jars anymore, I cherish the one I still have).  My friend recommended putting it in the garage to ferment in case it exploded...it never did .  I like mine mild but it's delicious with some steamed rice and great when you have a cold! I buy it now when I have the yen...

0 Kudos
Sammy838

I've been wanting to make this myself also I've tried it in restaurants and liked it I've tried it at the buffets they've been good also so I want to try and make some myself basically just salt and cabbage you could put anything after that point gotta have alittle heat thou

0 Kudos
jonimarie

Been a long day for me and just getting to EX......think you all are making my head spin and I am not sure that you are not all making this up...lol

And by the way I love cabbage just not the stuff you all talking about

Giulia

That's okay, Joni.  Obviously your not alone!  The great thing about this site is that we all have different tastes, in food, music, quit methods and support techniques.  And hopefully we take what we like and leave the rest.

jonimarie

Totally agreeGiulia and the kimchi concept was an education which threw me. I am going to bring it up for some Thanksgiving conversation now that I am hip to it.

Madyzsgocka

Hey Giulia, I like a mild-medium Kimchi. Here in Atlanta, we have dozens of Asian markets of all sizes, and many of them sell it made pretty fresh, yet I have been thinking of possibly making a homemade batch, AND a batch of sauerkraut. They say that fermented foods are so good for you but that the store-bought sauerkraut doesn't have the probiotic benefit anymore because it's pasturized. So therefore, I'm thinking of making some of each this winter. I have tried smoked paprika, and liked it so much that it's the only paprika that I buy anymore. The fish sauce is mainly for flavoring in Asian cooking. It's pretty salty. I have a link here that you may find helpful. It talks about the fementation container/s you should use. https://www.dummies.com/food-drink/cooking/fermenting/basic-containers-used-in-fermenting-food/. Let me know how yours turns out. 

0 Kudos
Giulia

Thanks for the link.  I'm using glass containers that I boiled for 10 minutes first, but hardly any of the recipes I've seen for Kimchi seem to require such sterilization.  And yes aside from enjoying the taste, it's a great probiotic!  I'm not thrilled with my first batch but will let you know how my second batch turns out.  Nice to know others out there enjoy Kimchi too (though we seem to be in the minority.  lo)

Madyzsgocka

I think it's an acquired taste actually. I was just ok with it when I first tried it in the first Korean restaurant I was ever in some 10 years or so ago. Since then, I've had many different recipes, and like you said, some is good, and some not so good. It would be nice to create our own recipe, and stick with that so that we always know what we're getting, and know that we're going to like it. 

0 Kudos