Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I quote someone when replying?

Question

Answer

If you are on a Journal / Blog you will only be able to quote the original post by using the Quote button. However you can use the blockquote button and still quote comments on Journals / Blogs. The image below will illustrate.

Quoting on a Journal / BlogQuoting on a Journal / BlogClick to enlarge image.

In the above example you can see I am in a Journal / Blog. Very few places on the community are Journal Articles (Journals / Blogs, Mayo Clinic Blog and the EX Blog). The only place you can comment is at the bottom of the Journal Article. There is both a Quote button in the toolbar and a Blockquote button in the second row of the toolbar once it is unhidden. The Quote button will bring in the full Journal Article by the Author. It will not quote individual comments on the Journal Article as there is not a Reply/Comment button with every comment. You can however use the Blockquote button and then copy a comment you would like to reply to and paste it after you have clicked the blockquote button.  In my example I also @mentioned the person I was responding to when I copied and pasted their comment into the blockquote. Keep in mind that I did ensure that there was a hard return below the blockquote when I inserted it so that I could type after the blockquote was inserted.

If you are on a Discussion you will be able to quote any post by using the quote button. Please watch the image below to see how this is done.
Quoting - Discussions vs Journals.gif
Click to enlarge image.
In the example above I am in the Pictures, Quotes & Videos Group, which has Forum Discussion Topics. The root post and any reply can be replied to. When you click the button to reply it will also give you an option to Quote that Forum Discussion Topic or Discussion Topic Reply

Quoting - Providing Context.gif
Click to enlarge image.
In the example above I am responding to the root post in the Support (Forum Discussions Topics) using the Quote button in the Toolbar. It allows me to reference the post I am responding to.
Version history
Revision #:
4 of 4
Last update:
‎05-05-2021 01:40 PM
Updated by:

Contributors