cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darlene0313

HELP!!!! I want my life back

Jump to solution

I want to smoke so bad lately at times it's so overwhelming.  I quit on April 19th and slipped on May 8th and I've been living in hell since.  I have come down with Diverticulitis and probably have SIBO once again, my A1C just put me at pre-diabetic, I've gained 15 lbs and I look like I'm at 9 months pregnant.  I'm very slim walking around with a distended belly.  I have huge issues with weight gain and this is just ridiculous.   Its been a few months now and I've never felt so bad in my life physically and been in this worse of shape.  I don't even want to work out as I have no desire to do anything since I quit smoking.  I'm absolutely miserable and no longer happy with myself or life in general.  

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
biscuit9

I have so few answers, but what I do know for sure is, Smoking is not the answer.  Smoking will not help you physically.  Smoking will not help you feel better.  Smoking will not let you get stronger.  Smoking will TAKE the health that you value.  Quit day 264 for me and you are still new in your quit.  I encourage you to remind yourself why you started this journey, in the first place.  If you were happy with your smoking life, then you wouldn't want to quit.  This addiction tells us so many lies.  You ARE on the right path, it's just not a straight line to the finish line.  Accept this moment for what it is, you are healing and you will have some rough patches.  Don't give in and don't give up, that's what the addict wants you to do.  But, you don't do that anymore and making that transition from a smoker to a non-smoker can be overwhelming and it feels like life is just asking too much of us.  You WILL get to that good place, in time.  Right now, just take it a moment at a time.  Look around, find the beauty, it is there,  just harder to see it right now.  Stay strong, stay vigilant, stay stubborn.  

View solution in original post

MarilynH

Deep breaths @Darlene0313 you can do this quit and you will do it one precious day at a time or hour or minute or even second at a time! Smoking isn't the answer EVER! LIFE happens BUT relapsing isn't the option Stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're all here to help you in any way we can. 

Darlene0313

Thank you both. I'm happy to report i made it through today and didn't smoke. One day at a time. 

7 Replies
biscuit9

I have so few answers, but what I do know for sure is, Smoking is not the answer.  Smoking will not help you physically.  Smoking will not help you feel better.  Smoking will not let you get stronger.  Smoking will TAKE the health that you value.  Quit day 264 for me and you are still new in your quit.  I encourage you to remind yourself why you started this journey, in the first place.  If you were happy with your smoking life, then you wouldn't want to quit.  This addiction tells us so many lies.  You ARE on the right path, it's just not a straight line to the finish line.  Accept this moment for what it is, you are healing and you will have some rough patches.  Don't give in and don't give up, that's what the addict wants you to do.  But, you don't do that anymore and making that transition from a smoker to a non-smoker can be overwhelming and it feels like life is just asking too much of us.  You WILL get to that good place, in time.  Right now, just take it a moment at a time.  Look around, find the beauty, it is there,  just harder to see it right now.  Stay strong, stay vigilant, stay stubborn.  

MarilynH

Deep breaths @Darlene0313 you can do this quit and you will do it one precious day at a time or hour or minute or even second at a time! Smoking isn't the answer EVER! LIFE happens BUT relapsing isn't the option Stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're all here to help you in any way we can. 

Darlene0313

Thank you both. I'm happy to report i made it through today and didn't smoke. One day at a time. 

biscuit9

It may not feel like it, but you WON.  You won that battle.  You are gaining control of your life back.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congrats on making it through the day today without smoking! For sure one day at a time 🙂

Margaret, EX Community Admin

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Darlene0313 Congrats on your first day won.  Glad you checked in.

You have some things that are stressing you out right now, so take a deep breath and don't let these issues overwhelm you.  These things a manageable.  Is there a specific reason you gained weight?  Are you still using Chantix?

I'm a bit confused.  You indicated that you just quit yesterday, but in your post you said you don't feel like doing anything since your quit?

How can we help?

Barb

0 Kudos
cplcowen

Darlene,

What do you get from smoking? Do you feel energized or empowered? Do you feel that nicotine somehow helps you get through the day? Ask yourself why you smoke. Is it purely an addiction? Is it just a habit? Are you bored? There must be an an answer that supersedes all others as to the reason why you smoke.

Once you have figured out what it is that is so special about smoking you will have a better understanding how to conquer it once and for all.

Here is how I feel about it; QUIT...Simply take your cigarettes and give them to a friend, a stranger or just toss them in the bin and tell yourself that smoking is ridiculous, and that your a better person than someone with zero will power. I don't mean to sound harsh or critical. Not at all. I smoked a pack or more of Camel's for the better part of 30 years, so I am far from perfect.

I was at the KY Derby in May 2018 and I didn't have enough money to buy a soft-drink and cigarettes later on that day, so I decided that something to drink was more important. I gave the cigarettes away and I have not smoked one since. I went cold turkey and after 7 days the nicotine cravings were gone, a month later I stopped thinking about a cigarette every 5 minutes, 6 months later I stopped dreaming about them, and somewhere between 8 months later and a year I went a whole day without even thinking about a cigarette.

That's when I knew that I had beaten the most addicting drug on the planet is when I went an entire day without even thinking about a cigarette. Quitting cigarettes is going to be one of, if not the hardest thing that you will ever do. Once you have beaten it nobody can take that from you. You'll live longer, feel better, look better and the money that you will save really adds up fast, but the only way to quit is dedication.

There is no middle ground. You either want to quit, or you don't. Just say I'm done with this (kind of like a bad date) and never look back. Be strong and firm, and eventually you'll never even think about cigarettes. Sometimes when I'm with friends I will be the only person that doesn't smoke and it makes no difference to me. I quit, I'm happy and nothing makes me want to smoke ever again.

I hope you do it. People also respect you more when you quit, because it is so difficult. If you can stop smoking than you can accomplish most anything.

Best of luck to you. I'm pulling for you.

Robert C.