cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

What feature is missing from EX?

You may be a part of another online community and have grown to like things on that community that you haven't seen here.  What is that feature that you would like to see here? Pick from the list below or add your own.  Then tell us more about what you like about it and how you envision it being part of BecomeAnEX.

-Mention another user
-Micro blogging
-Quoting other's comments
-Live Text/Video Chats
-Reply by Email
-Wikis
-Polls
-Photo Albums

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
34 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Shawn and Leeza

Great subtleties that I wasn't aware of. Thanks for sharing the voice and concern of others that haven't yet come to share their feedback. I agree on helping people protect themselves from themselves especially when they are new to a community.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Legend

Mark when I was on the original BecomeAnEx web site Ning we had the ability to make our activity on the activity screen private or not and this was good because if someone was stalking someone this would make it harder to see where they went and what they said.  Also we had the ability to make our blogs we write private for only friends to see not friends of when someone adds you but only when you add a friend or you could make your blog public if we wanted and that made it easier for women that have been terrorized from someone from their past and still terrorizing them. I know if someone wanted to find out what we said they could hang on here all day and finally find something we said somewhere but it makes it harder for a person stalking someone to find the information about the person he is stalking if we had the ability to have private blogs for friends only or to hide our activity from the public or just friends or maybe keep the activity screen private if that is what an individual wants. Mark one of the women getting stalked is me and this person if very dangerous and very few know about it.  I am terrified I will get found and so you don’t see much about me on my page.  Sometimes I wanted to make a blog and talk about everyday stuff that was triggering me but I could not because I just did not feel comfortable about it being public because of my situation.  It takes a lot of courage for women like me to come out and talk about this and I hope you will take what I said and maybe find a way to help women that are still being stalked. I need help just like everyone else and if I left this place out of fear I would have died from this addiction already because I would not have quit smoking.  I was at deaths door when I came here I had already had a heart attack and was getting worse day by day and I am glad I found this place. 

0 Kudos

With regard to badges - I think they are pretty useless.  Some people join, do all the things to get all the badges - then pretty soon we never hear from or see them again.  Perhaps the badges might have a finite lifespan and be linked to a person's participation?   It would be great if there was a  badge that would be earned after x amount of  time quit plus # of  blogs/responses on the site.  That might identify those who have been around and have the most experience being quit and helping others?

Also - not sure it's still happening, but it used to be that fairly often the "Featured Member" would be long gone.

I would also love to xee Spell Check available.

Nancy

Nancy

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Legend

It's not appropriate for people to be doing that to you.  Please send me any evidence you have of this behavior. Please include screenshots and any messages you have received and send them to me.

@Nancy

Yes we're going to rethink the badging. There are a couple different types of earned badges that exist on the site. Ones earned for completing profile related ones, ones for participating on the site and others that are assigned. This isn't uncommon compared to other sites. There will always be people who game the system on any community and try to do the bare minimum to increase their profiles. These earned badging systems, also known as Gamification, can help with engagement on a site. What you seem to be getting at is earned ranking systems where badges are assigned at various points along a person's tenure within a community. This is somethign that would be evaluated as well.

RE: New Member Spotlight

This person is automatically picked based on some super secret algorithm.  It's not anything picked by me.

RE: Featured Community Members, Conversations and Groups

These people are selected by me. Please feel free to suggest Members, Blog Posts and Groups to feature if you've found someone/somegroup to be particularly helpful. I am always looking around but I love the input of others.

RE: Spell Check

I'm not sure why it isn't working on the site. Will see if it is something we can fix before we move to a new community platform.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

Terrific discussion happening already... keep 'em coming!

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Legend

Your username is anonymous, as is your avatar(provided you don't use it on other sites associsted with your real name) and your email address isn't showing with your profile, so you should be fairly safe. If you want other ideas on how to make your profile more anonymous I'd be glad to give you ideas. Please feel free to send me a private message or email.

I apologize if my last reply was very specific to stalking by another member of this community but I realize that your post might have been more broad in nature to include stalking from members in one's real life. This will be in my mind as I evaluate functionality.  It's a great idea for an FAQ as well.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Legend

Thank you Mark

0 Kudos
ShawnP

This is in regards to blogs. I think there should be a time stamp on when a blog was written. We only know the date.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Shawn

What do you envision using the timestamp for on the blogs? For comments on blogs you can roll over the time ago to see the exact time it was written.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Giulia

It would be helpful if we could delete the PM sent messages in the same manner we can delete the PM inbox messages.  In other words, when you pull up a PM in the inbox and read it,  you then have the option to delete from one of the 3 choices below it.  But there are no such options beneath the sent PMs.  You must first return to the Sent Message page and THEN delete it from there.  It would just save a step.  Of course this may all be a moot point when the platform change is made.

0 Kudos