cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Follow: Save a list of "People You Follow"

The list of People You Follow (Following) who do not also Follow You (Followers) cannot be moved to the new community*. Here’s what you need to do if you want to recreate that list in the new community platform:

• Visit the community on a computer .
  • Click your Circle Avatar image in the upper right of the community
  • Click View Profile in the dropdown
  • Click More between Content and Actions
  • Click People
  • Save each person you wish to retain from the Following tab.
    • As a Bookmark in your web browser
    • In a file to your computer or the cloud
      • Copy and Paste each username individually to a Google Document, Excel Spreadsheet, Microsoft Word or WordPad document on your computer

* Anyone you currently follow who also follows you we anticipate will be moved to the community

Below is an animation using Mozilla Firefox that shows saving users as Bookmarks and also in a WordPad text file. 

Saving Followers.gif

EX Community Admin Team
Tags (2)
19 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Giulia wrote:

Thank you.  What you said is quite clear.  Following is not the same as Friends on the new platform.  Ergo you can follow without being friends and you can be friends without following.  Nice to know we will still be able to communicate privately.  Sometimes strong friendships are formed that way here.

Following other members doesn't exist on the new platform. Possibly they'll have something in the future to follow other members but it's not something they have today. If they did, you'd have to create a new "follow" list at that time. 

When we moved from elgg to Jive we changed all the people that were friends with to followers of each other. Now we're going back to a platform that has friendships so we're planning on establishing those friendships for you on the new platform however if people aren't following each other then we don't assume you're friends. So anything that was a "one-sided follow" will be lost in the migration unless you back it up via steps above.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Giulia

Ah.  Well I've no doubt we will be able to find each other, and that's the most important thing.

This was pretty clear

Following ≠ Friends

however if people aren't following each other then we don't assume you're friends.

This made me chuckle!

0 Kudos
BobKatt22

Ummmmm, what’s going on???

are we losing the Ex???

im computer stupid, I’ll get lost

i already lost QuitNet, I don’t want to lose this site too!!!!

0 Kudos
Giulia

No, we're not losing EX, Bob, they're just changing to a new platform.  Will mean just a different way of doing things.  I've been through a couple of platform changes here over the years and we manage to survive!  So don't worry.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kdot1st wrote:

Wait.... what? I don't know what's going on. 

I guess I'm behind

Karen

/blogs/Mark-blog/2021/03/03/important-announcement-things-you-need-to-know-part-1-of-3 

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

BobKatt22 wrote:

Ummmmm, what’s going on???

are we losing the Ex???

im computer stupid, I’ll get lost

i already lost QuitNet, I don’t want to lose this site too!!!!

BobKatt22 as Giulia mentioned The site is not going away but the functionality is changing a bit. Though most things will be moved to the new site there are some things that cannot so we are providing instructions for those who wish to back up things we can't move automatically. Read my post here: /blogs/Mark-blog/2021/03/03/important-announcement-things-you-need-to-know-part-1-of-3 

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

Mark Am I understanding this correctly?   Since we're losing "following"  (which by the way is different than a friend to me) we will not long receive notices in our inbox from those individuals?  I would miss that.

0 Kudos

Mark I ended up doing a screen dumps of the people I follow.  It didn't take long.

Barb

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Barbscloud wrote:

Mark Am I understanding this correctly?   Since we're losing "following"  (which by the way is different than a friend to me) we will not long receive notices in our inbox from those individuals?  I would miss that.

You'll still receive notifications from people who respond to topics you create and topics you participate in. But you won't get every post from a given person on the new platform. I understand it. I know some people would miss it and I wish they had it. Perhaps in the future, but not today.

Barbscloud wrote:

Mark I ended up doing a screen dumps of the people I follow.  It didn't take long.

Barb

Great. Some people have hundred and even thousands. Glad you were able to copy them. Hopefully many of them you already follow each other and they'll become friends automatically on the new platform.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos